Mostly unrelated to this site all together

Options
nakedsun
nakedsun Posts: 115
I know this really isn't myfitnesspal related but I need opinioins. I guess it's health related in a way though.
I rent a house. My landlord lives literally next door. Our house has a single bathroom and that is it. A few months previous (during winter) our hot water stopped running - it took our landlord 2 weeks to rectify the problem after us hounding him with phone calls and written requests so we know he's slow.

Three days ago our bathtub/shower decided to stop draining. We regularly clean out our drain and drano it every so often. We then noticed that when you run our sink the water bubbles up into the bathtub and again, does not drain. We contacted our landlord after trying to clean the drains and drano to no avail. It's been three days since we notified him in writing (and him confirming he would look into it) and we haven't been contacted by him about a plumber coming or haven't been contacted by a plumber (he only likes to use his friend).

What's a reasonable amount of time to wait? The water coming up in the tub is FOUL smelling and due to no draining we can't use it. I've had to bathe in the sink which only causes more water in the tub and using bowls to dump the water is bloody disgusting not to mention really doesn't make me feel very clean.

Replies

• snw_
    snw_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You have a plug in the drain water itself (from the house) and you need a plumber. i have no ideas what the rules are, but id google landlord/tenant laws. three days is a long time.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    One day is a long time.
    Hire one, and send the landlord the bill.
  • nakedsun
    Options
    I've looked up the laws in our province and it just says a reasonable time. So I'm unsure of what that is. I mean, if it were a cracked tile I'd be more lenient but... I really want a good shower.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If you want to be absolutely sure your landlord has every possible chance to take care of it, I'd hand deliver a letter to him that explains you will be calling a plumber within 24 hours if he does not take care of it first. Indicate also that he will be receiving the plumber's bill. That way he has it all in writing, and can't deny that you DID contact him first before taking action yourself.

Side note: That sucks. :( I feel for you!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    24 hours... And go to the rentalsman with this exact story... They will lite a fire under his *kitten*.. Or call a plumber yourself.. And submit the bill when you pay rent, if you have to pay the bill right away pay it and deduct from your rent and give him a copy of the bill and a written letter as to why your rent is short the cost of the bill. I had to do that a couple times before I bought my house my landlord was super slow.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I live in Ontario as well and have had it out with 2 really crap landlords before. If it's an essential thing like plumbing they have something like 48 hours to get to it. If not, contact the landlord and tenant board directly. Hope the situation is fixed soon!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I would call a legal aide representative (most states it is free), but I can give you my personal opinion...

Most states have a defined statute of "reasonable time"...given the stench of the water, I would suspect that there is bacteria growing in that goop which puts you and your family at health risk. Also, it is interfering with normal daily functions (shower, draining sinks, etc), so I would provide him with a second noticed via certified mail notice that as of the reciept of the letter, he has 24-hrs to rectify the situation or you will hire a plumber and take the cost out of the rent.

I used to be a landlord for an apartment complex, and the rule of thumb was if it interfered with daily functions or could potentially cause damage to the tenant or the property, it was fixed within 24 hours. Non-emergencies were three business days. That is how it "should" be done, but unfortunately not always how it "is" done.

This might be a good reason to start looking for a new place too.
  • jonesyx6
    jonesyx6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the rules are where you are, but I rent here and if that happened to me I would call a plumber and deduct the amount for the plumber from my rent. Or at LEAST deduct a portion of the rent because you are PAYING for indoor plumbing. If he isn't providing it, then you shouldn't be paying for it.

I would also either send a registered letter (so you have proof that you sent it) or email (again for proof) saying that this has been going on for so many days and if you don't hear from him within another 24 to 48 hours you will hire the plumber yourself and deduct it from your rent. If that is not ok with him, then he should rectify the issue immediately. Lack of communication on his part (either calling you or fixing it) will be construed as acknowledgement and acceptance of your plan of action.

That should at least give him a kick in the pants. Where I live, this type of communication would be sufficient to prove that you waited a reasonable amount of time and that you gave him the option of fixing it the way he should have in the first place.

I would also start looking for a new place to live with a better landlord.
  • nakedsun
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's responses.

I contacted my landlord again (and have been also documenting everything in writing as well.. he lives next door so easy to deliver) and explained that if I didnt hear from a plumber today I would be getting my own. He claimed he called a plumber again but this time gave me the plumber he supposedly contacted.

So I called the plumber this evening and they said they had gotten a message from him FIVE minutes befoe I called. Not 3 days ago when he first claimed he called. Anyway, they're coming tomorrow to fix it. SO annoying.

EDIT TO ADD: We are moving town's in October so we're just holding out till then when our lease ends since we're moving anyway.