New to HRMs

Options
I bought a Polar PT4 today and hit the treadmill. The machine I used said it was Polar ready and picked up my heart rate (thought that was pretty cool). But I have a problem. The treadmill says I burned 483 calories in 55 minutes. The watch says I burned 667. (and my Nike +iPod says I burned 558, not attached to any hrm).

So my question is which reading is the most accurate? I put the same weight in both the treadmill and the watch. The watch asked for age and sex but the treadmill did not.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Replies

• rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have the same one. Everything read or talk to people say the monitor is more accurate. I just go with the HRM readings. As long as there is a calorie deficit and healthy eating you should lose fat. And yes mine says more than the treadmill and MFP.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Watch. My HRM frequently differs from the machines or this site, sometimes under, sometimes over.
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    I'd go with the Polar.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I always go with the HRM. Having the strap around your chest measuring your heartrate, to me, is the most accurate.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Use the hrm reading! My treadmill and my hrm are usually closer than thatbut I would always trust the device attached to your body.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Lil off topic - but is it better to have a HRM while exercising?
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. This was the first time using the watch, and from what I understand the chest strap sends my heart rate to the treadmill. I guess for a little while I will split the difference until the numbers get closer.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Does the watch know more about you than the machine ? If you've put your stats and VO2 max etc into your watch it'll be more accurate than the machine.