Advice to achieve a flat stomach?

Options
So I got to my lowest weight of 60kgs when I went to Thailand on holiday (Gosh I wish I was back there, Australia is so cold right now!!)

and before I even began drinking, eating whatever I liked, I had my stomach still sticking out... and at 60kgs at 180cm, I was actually considered thin (and not a healthy 'slim') for my height.

It frustrates me because I don't know how some people have the flattest stomachs? Is it because 'everybodies body is different'? or should there be things that I change in my diet to assist with losing the pudge? I usually do a fair few abdominal exercises... maybe I need to do more?

I am now 66kgs and trying to get back down to 62kgs... however I do know that even when I get to 62kgs, I will still have the same issue.

Could this have something to do with water retention? I tend to avoid as much sodium as I can.

I am trying a gluten free diet as I hear that my stomach could be slightly sensitive to gluten which can cause swelling? I am on day 3 of avoiding gluten.

Could there be some particular fruit or veg that I should include more of in my diet?

Any little 'secrets' you may know would be great to know! Please share

Replies

• Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Balanced diet with proper vitamins (multi v). Certain foods and lack of cause bloat. Don't forget to drink ample amounts of water as well :)
  • Halfangel
    Halfangel Posts: 49
    Options
    bump
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Cardio and diet, bottom line, lose the fat, the abs will show.......:)
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My belly has always been bigger, even when I was MUCH thinner than now and was in great shape and really toned:( As long as I can remember, I've always held my weight there. Boo!!!
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    strength training. get into weight lifting.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    It could be your body shape. Even when I was thin I thought my belly stuck out. But it was my body my spine curves a bit more than normal in the lower back. Second you could be sensitive to ANYTHING, that makes you bloat. You could try a chiropractor or Kinesiologist to see what exactely.
  • rsqsquad05
    rsqsquad05 Posts: 125
    Options
    I'd love to see what others say about this too but I'll give you what has "worked" for me. I'd like my to be more toned too. Diet is HUGE for a flat tummy, the sweets seem to ruin it for me. Others have said eat only CLEAN foods...nothing processed, no sweets etc.
    So far as excercise, RUN...cardio and run some more. Everyone has abs it's just covered by a layer of fat for protection. Running burns this fat, kickboxing, Zumba anything with high cardio will definately help. Do yourself a favor and take a before pic because u will not notice how huge a difference there is without it. Give it 30 days of watching your food and increasing your cardio and I can pretty much promise you there will be a VERY nice difference :)

This is me after 30-40 days.

Picnikcollage-1.jpg
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Personally, my stomach got flatter (still pudgy though) when I actually stayed under my carb limit and ate more protein. When I eat as much carbs as I want, my tummy bloats up super quick. :blushing: Watching your sodium helps too.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Strength training (weights / resistance bands / body weight exercises) and a little cardio 2-3 times a week. Work on your posture as well, it's actually pretty important if you want a flat tummy. If you hunch over (forcing abdominal muscles to relax along with relaxed posture) your tummy will automatically protrude. It's tough to get back into using good posture, especially if you've been slouching since you became a teenager (like me lol) but you can do it! You just have to try and be conscious of it as much as possible. At the computer, in the car, on the couch, always try to sit properly. Abdominal suctioning (I think it's called?) is a good exercise for them as well, along with the obvious crunches people usually do. But you really don't need to do ab exercises a lot to get what you're looking for. Diet is the real key. Good luck to you! Hope that helps a bit! :heart:
  • missismj
    missismj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cardio and no white carbs! Good luck!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Cardio and no white carbs! Good luck!

Food racist. Don't hate on the white carbs, they're delicious and specifically, will not hinder you from achieving visible abdominal muscles. :P
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Strength training (weights / resistance bands / body weight exercises) and a little cardio 2-3 times a week. Work on your posture as well, it's actually pretty important if you want a flat tummy. If you hunch over (forcing abdominal muscles to relax along with relaxed posture) your tummy will automatically protrude. It's tough to get back into using good posture, especially if you've been slouching since you became a teenager (like me lol) but you can do it! You just have to try and be conscious of it as much as possible. At the computer, in the car, on the couch, always try to sit properly. Abdominal suctioning (I think it's called?) is a good exercise for them as well, along with the obvious crunches people usually do. But you really don't need to do ab exercises a lot to get what you're looking for. Diet is the real key. Good luck to you! Hope that helps a bit! :heart:

^^^^^^^^^^ This :D
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options

I slouch SO often! especially seeing as I sit in front of a computer all day at work lol

Thanks for the advice :)
  • splucy
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have read every post! Very helpful :) especially that slouching advice. I slouch so much it's terrible.

Am glad I am not being advised to avoid gluten. I mentioned that on a status and everyone was telling me how terrible it would be for me to exclude it from my diet altogether =/
  • arvs78
    arvs78 Posts: 4
    Options
    I hate my stubborn belly fat. ugh!
  • gonnabethinandfit
    gonnabethinandfit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Really, I think the only "secret" is to continue trying to lose weight. Eat healthy, lots of cardio and lots of ab workouts and the fat left will melt off! Somebody with your height and weight could have a flatter stomach, but that just means that bit of fat it somewhere else on them. Like me, I started out at 213 lbs, 5'6 and every single person I asked guessed my weight around 160 because I have a pretty small stomach and waist for my weight. Unfortunately, that fat is hidden in my arms and legs. I have very fat calves.. and nobody really notices cause they just see my waist I guess.. not complaining! Yup, weird. But anyways, I know because they seem to just naturally have a really flat stomach you may be fooled into thinking you can't get it, but you can! just like they'd have to work to lose the fat left on their calves where that hidden fat is ;)
  • splucy
    Options
    Really, I think the only "secret" is to continue trying to lose weight. Eat healthy, lots of cardio and lots of ab workouts and the fat left will melt off! Somebody with your height and weight could have a flatter stomach, but that just means that bit of fat it somewhere else on them. Like me, I started out at 213 lbs, 5'6 and every single person I asked guessed my weight around 160 because I have a pretty small stomach and waist for my weight. Unfortunately, that fat is hidden in my arms and legs. I have very fat calves.. and nobody really notices cause they just see my waist I guess.. not complaining! Yup, weird. But anyways, I know because they seem to just naturally have a really flat stomach you may be fooled into thinking you can't get it, but you can! just like they'd have to work to lose the fat left on their calves where that hidden fat is ;)

Yeah at 60kgs everyone was telling me that I looked too thin, however I still had that slight pudge which was frustrating me :/

Maybe I can never lose fat from around that area... however I am determined! More ab exercises, better posture, lots of water and maybe less carbs... although I am usually quite good with my carb intake. I just give myself enough to give me decent energy through out the day and avoid them at night.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Restrict the refined sugar and wheat. Make sure you're eating enough protein. Abs are made in the kitchen. Do a little ab work weekly (planks, side crunches, reverse crunches).
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Eat clean foods, lean foods, eat close to tdee and exercise intensly (with weights/core work) Eat a decent amount to fuel your body to perform & become become strong and lean. Eat enough of an amount to spare muscle/add muscle later on.

Dont focus on getting to a certain number on the scale as you found that at 60 kg you still had a tummy. If you recompose (body recomposition) you might be able to recompose your body and end up at a weight of 65 kg with a flat tummy and fit into smaller clothing! People shouldn't focus so much on the scale weight. You might end up looking heaps better with a flatter toned tummy and be mid 60's on the scale with a lower body fat % and more LBM than before at your lowest weight. Who cares! People will think you weigh less than you really weigh anyway.

I'm 61 kg and people think I weigh 55 kg. I have nice muscle definition and look quite athletic and i'm in the process of eliminiting the tummy fat. Might take another 6 months or 12 I dunno. I eat at a small defecit and its taken a long time but totally worth it as ive retained my muscle and fitness. I'm 5'2 and a size 8 australian at this point in time. Hope i've helped ! :)