Not enough or too much?

Options
libgrl
libgrl Posts: 17 Member
I have been running a lot (45 miles last week) along with biking and some strength training as I am training for a marathon in September. I keep track of my calories and try to stick to 1200 on days I don't exercise (which is almost never) and then days I do exercise I eat 1200 calories plus the calories I burned. I used an online calorie calculator for marathon training and it said I should be eating between 2200 and 3000 calories for the amount I run, which seems way too much.

http://www.marathon.ipcor.com/marathon-nutrition-calculator.htm

I am maintaining the same weight, which is fine for now, but I am always really hungry lately.
I am 5 foot 4 inches tall and weigh around 128 to 130 lbs.

Any advice?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry I'd say eat. I run approx. 6 miles a week (2 miles HIIT 3x a week) and I'm super hungry on the days I run, which is nothing compared to what you're doing.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I calculate your BMR at about 1360. If you're as active as you suggest your TDEE might be as high as BMR x 1.7 -- 2300 calories or thereabouts in your case.

That means to maintain you should aim for around 2300 cals on days where you do exercise and maybe 1300 on days where you don't.

1200 even on days where you do exercise is DEFINITELY too low.

Those numbers are always only educated guesstimates. You have to try them for a while, then weigh in an adjust accordingly. Everyone's metabolism is complex and different.
  • libgrl
    Options
    Hmmm, I can try eating more, but you would think with me having been eating too little I would have lost more weight instead of stayed the same. Confusing.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    A combination of severe calorie restriction during substantial physical stress - such as running 50+miles a week - can actually lead to hormonal imbalances between insulin, glucagon, and others. If done long enough, or at a severe deficit, these hormones (which help regulate metabolism) can promote fat storage, muscle wasting and impaired metabolic response. In other words: if your goal is to get leaner while preserving lean muscle mass, you likely won't by adhering to the above.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It's REALLY hard to lose while running that kind of mileage. Your body needs fuel to run! I'm training for a half and only do half the mileage you do... but I have been losing like a mad woman on 2100 calories/day (mind you I'm 5'7" and 174 lbs).

Please aim for a .5 lbs loss per week... change it in your settings. What does that give you for a net goal? Then eat that on non-workout days and eat all your calories burned if you're using a HRM to monitor them.

And check out the group "Eat More to Weigh Less" under the "Groups" tab up above ^^
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments... I liken "marathon mode" to "starvation mode"... Your body recognizes that you are going to make tremendous demands of it but aren't necessarily going to give it all the fuel it's going to need so it preserves it just like it's in starvation mode. Feed your body, especially the muscles. If you are fueling it with protein bars, that's good protein but if they are high in sugar then you will feel like you are starving shortly thereafter (not isolated to protein bars; it's the sugar). If you are not eating much sugar (which you can choose to monitor in your diary) then that means your body is just naturally telling you to eat more. Keep up the great work, marathons are so tough, good for you and good luck too :)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big believer in starvation mode but I have seen a lot of accounts of distance runners saying their bodies seemed to defy physics, in how little they burned during their training. It does seem like the body would think, "Hm, lots of distance running. We must be in extreme danger. I think I'll just grind things down to super low gear until it lightens up." With your light intake, it's probably two red flags at once. Being hungry, really hungry, not just bored in the mouth and missing constant snacking, is a good sign you should add some calories in. If you don't want to use those calculators, you can estimate 100 calories burned per mile of running. So maybe add 600 calories/day and see how you feel.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    A combination of severe calorie restriction during substantial physical stress - such as running 50+miles a week - can actually lead to hormonal imbalances between insulin, glucagon, and others. If done long enough, or at a severe deficit, these hormones (which help regulate metabolism) can promote fat storage, muscle wasting and impaired metabolic response. In other words: if your goal is to get leaner while preserving lean muscle mass, you likely won't by adhering to the above.

^^^^

Exactly.

Large calorie deficits and significant exercise/stress can raise cortisol levels which will inhibit fat loss.

This is what people are referencing to with 'starvation mode'. Far too many people seem to be basic calorie intake on their BMR without factoring in activity levels.
  • libgrl
    Options
    This makes sense. I think I am going to try cutting out some of the sugar, but adding in some healthier options, such as protein, veggies, and more fruit and some whole grains. I find myself being excessively tired lately too and I think I need to change my eating. I am fine when I am running and have a good amount of energy, but totally wiped later in the day.