One for the ladies...diet during time of the month?

Options
Hello!

I keep getting stuck on my weightloss, and my biggest problem is that during my time of the month, all I want to eat is sweets and sugar!! this time, I am doing quite well in stopping myself, but it's really disheartening to see that my weight has gone up because of my period!

I am also taking an iron supplement because my levels are very low.

Does anyone have any tips to keep me motivated during my period, and my hand away from the sweetie jar?

Replies

• cherrypie556
    cherrypie556 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Can you get some fruit in to snack on? If its a sweet tooth you've got then get some grapes, raspberies etc to eat. You can have a small choc bar a day as long as it's just the one and not loads. GL hun!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    this feeling is very familiar! lol
    mind over matter I think! for me I try to keep busy and NOT think of choc! and I don't have any in the cupboards so I CAN'T have any!
    Its about find a subsitute like a yogurt or making up a fresh fruit salad ...or what about having one of those Choc Highlight drinks that are lo cal but might give you that chocolate hit :)
  • hutchy90
    hutchy90 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on that! I can't go into the grocery store during that week or I will come out with ice cream, candy bars, or something related. If there are no sweets in the house I'll go to the next closest thing - cerel, peanut butter, nutella, yogurt, fruit :l ... Once I get my hands on something like that I'm unstoppable! It's like something comes over me. I'll eat like way more than one or two portions!

My clothes are always so tight that week.

I don't get it, and I dont know how to get it a little more under control. I even had my hormone levels tested and my Doc said everything is normal!
  • scrmngdsy
    scrmngdsy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I find that I have the same problem during my time of the month. The number on the scale shoots up 4 and sometimes 5 pounds, but this is only due to water retention. My best advice to you is to NOT weigh yourself during this week! It can be so discouraging. Make it a habit to not even go near the scale at this time. Just give yourself a week off from weigh-ins and relax :) weigh yourself the week afterwards. I do, and I find that I have still lost!

As far as the sweet tooth goes, I like to buy 90% dark chocolate. One piece solves any cravings that I have!
  • leannerob1984
    leannerob1984 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, i have exactly the same problem at the moment, all i want to do is curl up on the sofa and eat chocolate and sleep!
    Mine are quite painful and makes me quite bloated so i dont feel like i have the energy to exercise. Plus its make you gain a couple of lbs during which never makes you feel good about yourself :-(

Sorry not much advice, just offering sympathy and letting you know your not alone! :-)
  • Gelly_Bean
    Gelly_Bean Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving sweet for the sake of sweet I make my own popcorn (not from a packet) and then drizzle agave syrup all over it. Very sticky and messy but that's part of the fun. I've also been know to add hot chocolate powder over the top.

If you've not familiar with agave: http://www.groovyfood.co.uk/pages/groovy_nectar.html

Good luck :)
  • allieward
    allieward Posts: 22
    Options
    I just keep my diet the same, it takes a lot of will power but once you get in the routine, the urge to binge when it's that time of the month diminishes.
  • hazelt87
    hazelt87 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, i have exactly the same problem at the moment, all i want to do is curl up on the sofa and eat chocolate and sleep!
    Mine are quite painful and makes me quite bloated so i dont feel like i have the energy to exercise. Plus its make you gain a couple of lbs during which never makes you feel good about yourself :-(

Sorry not much advice, just offering sympathy and letting you know your not alone! :-)

Sounds so much like me! I was literally crawling at work I was in so much pain! I came home and got straight into bed leaving daddy to sort our daughter lol. When I popped to the shop on the way in, I was very good and didn't buy a lot o chocolate so I can't sit and binge all day! Just a couple of small ones- I actually picked the ones with least calories in too. Last month my hubby asked if I'd raided the sweet shop there were soooo many empty wrappers!
  • BeckysMama
    BeckysMama Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i have the options belgian hot chocolate and dunk rich tea biscuits in it. very chocolatey, fills the craving, but not too many calories considering what i would have had previously. But dont stress about it, just accept that you are going to have a blip and dont worry about it. You can get back on track after its finished.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I had to learn this over and over-- the hard way.

KEEP UP WITH YOUR USUAL REGIME. Not only do studies show that eating healthier during TOM and PMS lessen symptoms, but that water weight comes off at an alarming rate when it's all over. You more than make up for time IF AND ONLY IF you've kept to how you usually eat.

Remember-- the water weight is just temporary. The pounds from the ice cream that you ate because the water weight depressed you is going to require work to get off.

Drink LOTS of water, eat whole grains, go easy with the salt and just keep doing what you're doing.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I had to learn this over and over-- the hard way.

KEEP UP WITH YOUR USUAL REGIME. Not only do studies show that eating healthier during TOM and PMS lessen symptoms, but that water weight comes off at an alarming rate when it's all over. You more than make up for time IF AND ONLY IF you've kept to how you usually eat.

Remember-- the water weight is just temporary. The pounds from the ice cream that you ate because the water weight depressed you is going to require work to get off.

Drink LOTS of water, eat whole grains, go easy with the salt and just keep doing what you're doing.

Totally agree. I used to end up giving in to my chocolate cravings but now I have fruit or a hot chocolate and I find I don't put on as much weight during and don't feel as crappy. Good luck :flowerforyou: