Cod Liver Oil

Options
Does anyone take cod liver oil? If so, have you noticed it making a difference with your joints? How long did it take to notice a difference? Thanks!! x

Replies

• little_princess
    little_princess Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    In what context? Do you have achy joints or do you have a condition like arthritis?
  • little_princess
    Options
    More along the lines of achy joints. I am under 30,l so hoping its not arthritis! I was just wondering if there was a noticeable difference or not...x
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I get sore joints and have tried cod liver oil. Didn't really notice much of a difference but I am not the most patient person in the world and probably didn't give it enough time. I read somewhere that Rosehip is suppose to be good for joints but I haven't tried it yet as it is quite expensive. I will wait till Holland & Barrett have them on sale to test them out :smile:
  • little_princess
    Options
    I get sore joints and have tried cod liver oil. Didn't really notice much of a difference but I am not the most patient person in the world and probably didn't give it enough time. I read somewhere that Rosehip is suppose to be good for joints but I haven't tried it yet as it is quite expensive. I will wait till Holland & Barrett have them on sale to test them out :smile:

Thanks! i am also not patient :-/ i always expect immediate results lol. xx
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    Well, I do use Cod Liver Oil for a few reasons. I do notice a difference but it took a couple of months of taking a double dose. I do have sever arthritis though so it might not take as long or as much for you. It is pretty good for other things as well though: depression, heart heath etc. So it might be worth adding it to your health regimen :) Good luck!
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    ibuprofen works for me
  • little_princess
    Options
    Well, I do use Cod Liver Oil for a few reasons. I do notice a difference but it took a couple of months of taking a double dose. I do have sever arthritis though so it might not take as long or as much for you. It is pretty good for other things as well though: depression, heart heath etc. So it might be worth adding it to your health regimen :) Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! I started taking it two days ago. I have read up on some other benefits, and decided I needed to add it to my diet! I take 1 dose/day in addition l to my multi vitamin and healthy eating! xx
  • Poods71
    Options

Might give the cod liver oil a try again and be a bit more patient this time :smile:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Started taking jointcare capsules with glucosamine and omega 3 fish oils. Early days yet, but I am hoping this helps as my joints click really loudly.
  • little_princess
    Options
    ibuprofen works for me

Cheers, just wondering in relation to running, and it makes me sick if I take it too soon before a big run!xx
  • little_princess
    Options
    Started taking jointcare capsules with glucosamine and omega 3 fish oils. Early days yet, but I am hoping this helps as my joints click really loudly.

Can you let me know how you get on? i will continue my pills for 1 month, but might consider trying that if I have not noticed a difference!xx
  • Poods71
    Options
    ibuprofen works for me

Painkillers are good for one off stuff but if, like me, you suffer from joint paint alot I wouldn't really want to be taking them all the time.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Get a combination of glucosamine, chondroitin and msm . Try to get pharmacy grade,as well. A lot of the ones you buy in the grocery store, Wal-mart etc do not easily get absorbed in your body. If you buy a good quality one ( and you will pay more for it) you will notice a difference.
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    Get a combination of glucosamine, chondroitin and msm . Try to get pharmacy grade,as well. A lot of the ones you buy in the grocery store, Wal-mart etc do not easily get absorbed in your body. If you buy a good quality one ( and you will pay more for it) you will notice a difference.

I just started taking this but it is too early to tell. I am hopeful though!

And PS to the OP...do NOT take ibuprofen or any other NSAID pain killer long term, it can eat the lining of your stomach and can cause ulcers :(
  • little_princess
    Options

Thanks!! i will look into it!!xx
  • little_princess
    Options

I just started taking this but it is too early to tell. I am hopeful though!

And PS to the OP...do NOT take ibuprofen or any other NSAID pain killer long term, it can eat the lining of your stomach and can cause ulcers :(

I won't :) I try not to take many painkillers unless i absolutely need it!xx
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and take capsules to protect against my future health my mother is virtually crippled with arthritis.

I have noticed an effect but I don't know whether its the Cod Liver Oil or my increased level of strength.

I cycle often and noticed a weakness in my left knee, it was the oddest sensation and really hard to describe, not painfull as such but worrying/annoying.

It was like a fluid/bubbling/moving kinda feeling, anyway it's stopped now and I've been taking the capsules since February I think.
  • little_princess
    Options
    I'm 41 and take capsules to protect against my future health my mother is virtually crippled with arthritis.

I have noticed an effect but I don't know whether its the Cod Liver Oil or my increased level of strength.

I cycle often and noticed a weakness in my left knee, it was the oddest sensation and really hard to describe, not painfull as such but worrying/annoying.

It was like a fluid/bubbling/moving kinda feeling, anyway it's stopped now and I've been taking the capsules since February I think.

That Brill! Thanks for the input!xx
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    NSAIDS like aspirin and ibuprofen can't be used for more than one week in duration without increasing risk of developing stomach ulcers or cardiovascular complications. Tylenol can be used long term; however, the doses can be a bit high and using any other tylenol combo products is pretty much out of the question...daily tylenol needs to be less than 4g/day (for healthy individuals, elderly needs to be 2g or less/day).

Cod liver oil has anti-inflammatory properties (like NSAIDS/tylenol is anti-inflammatory but not to the same degree as NSAIDS) as well as fish oil; however, cod liver oil has the added benefit of vitamin D for bone health. Glucomsamine/MSM/Chondroitin combos can be expensive and might be a last line OTC to try.

Topical capsaicin is another good option for treating local irritation but keep in mind it takes about one week to start working. It basically distracts your body's response to pain