Shamed via Facebook.

Options
I am a 37 year old guy based in the North West of England. My weight has been creeping up over the past 3 years or so. I was in good shape back then, but have let myself go to the point that at my heaviest, I am weighing just over 14 stone. I keep telling myself that I need to sort myself out, however not even the top button on my work trousers bursting a couple of weeks ago was enough to spur me into action.

Two nights ago though, I was in the pub with a friend of mine when he took a photo of me in the pub and uploaded it onto Facebook. I was mortified at how I looked and have vowed to make positive changes and downloaded this app.

Am hoping to lose around 2 stone (28 pounds) and also tone up.

Replies

• Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good start, most of us have a photo or moment which made us decide to make the necessary changes. I have a few as mine was a gradual process but one is a photo uploaded to Facebook at a friends party where my belly has a spare tyre I couldn't do anything about which overshot my bust by several inches and first shamed me but then inspired me.
  • lolstanski
    lolstanski Posts: 18
    Options
    we've all been there ! i had a photo taken with my sis who was at the time 4 months pregnant and the caption read " mum with mum to be " and a few people had then congratulated me..... from the pic they thought I was the pregnant one .. mortified !
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Welcome Chris. :flowerforyou:

And yes I know that shock-horror FB photo moment. :huh: :sad:

It's my first week here and everyone has been lovely.

Assuming from your name you're in Liverpool? There is a whole bunch of UK folk in this group.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/150-team-uk
  • kellybweather
    Options
    Same thing happened to me this weekend! I took a photo with my boyfriend at a bar. I was wearing a one-shoulder blouse and could not BELIEVE how big I'd let my arms get. I've been sitting on my copy of P90X for about a year now, and it was time to step my game up!
  • jona1uk
    jona1uk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck.
  • NelehY
    NelehY Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Me too!
    I had a photo taken with some of my 'older' relatives a couple of weeks ago
    and realized that I am ENORMOUS next to them - EEP!!

Since then I have managed to lose 7lb/3kgs
    and I am thinking that that awful photo has actually done me a huge favor!

Just have to try to use it as incentive rather than something to beat yourself up about!
  • Liverpool_Chris
    Liverpool_Chris Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys for all the comments so far.

Yes, I am based in Liverpool, UK, so will check out that forum.

I agree, I am going to use that photo for inspiration, although I made my friend delete it from Facebook, I still have a copy of it.

I am feeling really positive about My Fitness Pal, the barcode scanner on the iPhone app is wonderful and makes things so much easier.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are in a similar position to what I was 4 months ago. Not facebook for me. Just saw the state of my belly in a full length mirror in a hotel room and that was finally enough to spur me into action. After years of procrastinating with the lame excuse that I needed to sort out other stuff in my life first that was the tipping point. Back then I merely wanted to lose weight and get in reasonable shape but have gradually grown more fanatical. I've lost 20 lbs since then, 16 of which has been since I joined MFP. So you can certainly achieve decent progress in a matter of months. 28 lbs isn't a massive amount compared to some others on here btw. You want that weight to come off fairly gradually, averaging 1 lb a week is plenty for starters and make sure you get plenty of exercise - you still have to eat a decent amount of food but just healthier choices. Good luck and have fun with it, start exercising regularly and soon you'll actually be annoyed on the days you miss out on doing some exercise.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Same happened me, someone tagged me in a pic at christmas and I had a hard time believing it was me. Started on MFP in January and I've lost more than 50 pounds. Still have about 17 to go, You can do this!!

Add me if you like, I'm from Ireland
    x
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm always up for supporting new friends, and I live in England too :)
  • bkm070
    bkm070 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck!
  • Squashypig
    Squashypig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! You will find it so much easier losing the weight with help and support from your MFP family. I'll drop you a friend request. I'm always greatful for new friends for mutual support etc. Good luck on your weight loss journey. :flowerforyou:

Sharon
  • dolphin_69
    Options
    Hi Chris,

Welcome to MFP, it really is a fantastic aid to losing weight, it really does focus the mind, and i too love the barcode scanner.

Once my mind is set on losing weight i can do it, i struggle then to maintain the new slimline me, so i think i have found the answer in MFP and will continue to use it to help me maintain my weight.

I did have some friends who started MFP with me but they seem to have drifted away, so i am happy to be your friend on here if you want to recieve/give support.

Louise
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Ha! That's what started me going, too.

We had an office picture taken and all my co-workers were uploading them. I was mortified! I untagged myself from all the pics so I wouldn't have to look at it. So, here I am :-)

At least you're doing something about it. Congrats!
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't like Facebook for that reason. The picture I have in my profile never made it to Facebook because I hate the way I look in it. It's on here to remind me why I am here, and also because everyone here is in the same boat I'm in.

Anyway, best of luck to you . feel free to add me.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You can use that photo as your before one once you are at goal and showing us how well you have done. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • elifmemis
    elifmemis Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My parents live near the beach...After my baby was born we went to visit, then 1 year later we took pics again. That really did it! We all have some story. Like others have mentioned...I'm saving everything because in 6 months they'll be posted on here. NOT facebook. I'm not a fan of FB for that reason. You can add me if you'd like. Good Luck!
  • pinkfoxglove
    Options
    UGH! We've all been there . . . that moment when we looked at ourselves and said, "WTH?" Good job getting started on the road to health. I just started, too.
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm from Liverpool too.

We've all gotta start somewhere. Feel free to add me as a friend if you're looking for motivation.

Gotta start looking ahead and being mentally positive. Beating urself up over the past ain't gonna help.

Good luck!
  • Joleigh1115
    Options
    don't be ashamed though, that makes it too difficult to keep moving forward, just know two things:

Moderation not Deprivation
    don't give up!

You can do it, be proud you've taken the first steps and remember, baby steps forward are better than no steps!