question to those with stretch marks ..... ??

Options
pre kids I used to have a very flat and toned tummy, after every pregnancy (ive had 4) it became more and more "baggy" with seriously bad stretch marks running up and down my tummy, some of which are an inch wide :( ................I now have less than 20lbs to lose so Im thinking toning is my next move. ................ My question is will the fact I have badly stretched skin stop my tummy from becoming as toned as it was pre kids? or will I be lucky and just have to work a little harder .... Hope someone can answer

Replies

• militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It's a case of genetics, people get different things going on with skin elasticity. I've heard baby oil helps the marks.
  • peacefrog08109
    peacefrog08109 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I first had my son the stretch marks on my breasts were so bad they actually looked painful. I t was like someone took a purple crayon and scribbled all over them. 11years later you can hardly tell they are there. The same with the ones on my hips. Although I was 20 when I had them so youth may play a role.
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Try Palmers Cocoa Butter for the stretch marks, it's brilliant. Can't answer the toning question though, sorry. :flowerforyou:
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    It's less about the stretch marks, and more about the loose skin. You could try weight lifting, but if that doesn't help, you will need surgery to remove the skin.
  • DellG85
    DellG85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    pre kids I used to have a very flat and toned tummy, after every pregnancy (ive had 4) it became more and more "baggy" with seriously bad stretch marks running up and down my tummy, some of which are an inch wide :( ................I now have less than 20lbs to lose so Im thinking toning is my next move. ................ My question is will the fact I have badly stretched skin stop my tummy from becoming as toned as it was pre kids? or will I be lucky and just have to work a little harder .... Hope someone can answer
    I had to have a tummy tuck to rid me of my excess skin and stretch marks do fade with time until they become silver/whiteish. I like to think of them as my tiger stripes, proud of them as I earned each and every one of them :-)
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I have them too from my 2 kids. :mad:

Bio oil is supposed to be quite good. But IU don't think you can ever totally get rid of them. :frown:
  • DefConJen
    DefConJen Posts: 20
    Options
    Mine look like a map of the London Underground! Once they are there I don't think any type of oil or cream is going to make much difference, but keeping the skin moisturised whilst pregnant really helped my sister, who has none.

They do fade, but mine are so extensive that even a tummy tuck wouldn't remove them all...

Quote from Shirley Valentine 'These are the marks of life, they show you are alive .....be proud of them'
  • jessienmiller
    jessienmiller Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have had three kids and almost all of my stretch marks came from my first pregnacy ,I was 15 when i found out i was pregnant with her. So my body was not even done growing at that time and the stretch marks came on quickly... I used baby oil and palmers cocoa butter nothing stopped it or helped. And I had some blood pressure and water weight problems with her so i went from 102lbs to 145lbs right before delivery. The other 2 i only gained like 13-20 pounds so i never got any new ones but my skin is sooo stretched out on my stomach around my belly button that it looks like a sun to me. My stomach looks good towards the sides and right under my ribs and top of my stomach you can see a 2 pack but after that no matter how many years i work out and tone you will never see the rest of the muscle definition.:(. But what really sucks is I even have them on my breasts, thighs,inner calves and behind my knees,and on my hips and butt. I guess its just something we have to live with nd be proud of. But 15 years after her birth I can say that almost all of them are silverish white. I would love to find out if anyone has had any luck with Merderma though!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    No kids, but big weight loss. I have some stretch marks, but they are not that bad. Genetics (luck of the draw I suppose), and keeping hydrated are your best bets, but I also reckon using bio oil regularly has helped me.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    personaly think it has alot to do with your personal genetics and age play a factor. I have two little girls born exactly 22months apart and while I really didn`t get any strech marks my skin was looser than it was pre-baby. I have been lifting for about 4months now and its doing wonders at reshaping my abbs almost to the point I may be able to wear a two piece swim suit by the end of this summer :). So try some weights and lift heavy (remember to up your cals alittle when you start lifting)
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I should have added that they have faded to a silvery white, Im not looking to rid myself of the stretch marks I came to terms a long time ago that was not possible so they don't really bother me any more .............. Im looking to see if anyone had has any success getting back a flat tummy even with stretch marks as the "baggyness" does bother me. I feel that because the skin has been over stretched that it may not come fully back .... any success stories would be good and give me hope
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

There's really no way to know. Everyone is different. Some will have the loose skin forever and some won't. Just keep losing weight and building muscle and see what happens.
  • GemaG
    GemaG Posts: 142
    Options
    bump! I have same problem I am used to them now but dont want any saggy skin!!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I had a few stretch marks after having two kids and a lot of loose skin too. My last pregnancy was back in 2006. Over the years, the stretch marks have faded and the loose skin has gotten a lot better the lower my body fat got and from weight lifting. I don't know how old you are but age may play into it. I'm 40 and I know that I'll never have the tight, taut tummy someone 20 years younger than me has. I've come to accept it and just be happy with where I'm at.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the sagginess of loose skin will always be there unless you have it lopped off! Even the skinniest of women often have loose skin after having kids. A very dear friend of mine is 4'10" and 90 lbs sopping wet. She's had 3 kids (no c-sections) and still has a flap of loose skin on her lower belly. If you're lucky, your skin will skrink back, but most women aren't that lucky!

I've had 4 kids AND I've lost over 30 lbs. Loose skin on belly AND boobs is what I've been handed and I just have to live with it. I'm still proud of my accomplishments and my husband doesn't complain.
  • jessienmiller
    jessienmiller Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do believe that some of the factors are also genetics, and i am 30 years old and have had mine for 15 almost 16 years now. Maybe if i was working out right after i had her my flabbiness wouldnt have been so bad ... Anyway
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replys ---it's looking like bad news for me :( .......... Ill not give up trying thou. Who knows maybe Ill post another thread in 6-12 months about how tight my tummy is haha