Protein Powder! ?? which one to get?

Options

Replies

• TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to get enough natural protein in your diet, and if that's still not enough THEN resort to protein powder. Of course protein powder is a good alternative, but there really is nothing better than the real thing.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't usually eat red meat or drink milk so it's hard for me to get a decent amount of protein every day. For the longest time, I was 100% against using protein powders or liquids to get my RDI.

Last night I was dragging my feet through the grocery store though and stumbled across Genuine Health's Vanilla Whey Proteins+ powder-- 110 cals for 2 scoops with 25g of protein, fat free and made with all natural ingredients. It was on sale, so I decided to at least try it out. It was actually pretty tasty...I think I was expecting a lot worse.

I plan on only using it on days when I can't get above 80g P without fudging up the rest of my macros.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    TRADER JOES HAS A GREAT PROTEIN POWDER WITH NO CARBS.

Trader Darwin's Whey Protein Powder Vanilla Flavored

Bump for Later
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't see that anyone has recommended GNC. Is that because it's gross? I will finish the jug I have but will not buy it again. I've been adding instant coffee and a little Truvia (like 1/2 packet) just to make it palatable. Blech.

How I miss the days of getting free protein powder from my food scientist friend's lab. :sad:
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say to just blend your own, really not realistic for my time frame. I have weight shakes with Protein/Calories for gaining, and after workout shakes...however, for a daily shake, i would highly recommend the product linked below from Nature's Bounty: it tastes like bittersweet dark chocolate.

Full range of vitamins, flax, omega-3, protein 15g, amino-acids, pro-biotic and digestive enzymes. 120cals per serving, mixes smooth in a blender bottle. I'll either use water as it states, or mix with skim milk, peanut butter and banana....so good!

Anyway, the link is below, on the page, you can click the link for the .pdf of the label.

http://www.naturesbounty.com/product/050879
  • shaedreams
    shaedreams Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Body By Vi but I don't enroll in their program. I buy a bag off of ebay, try to get free shipping and only pay around $45 a bag. Then, I go to the health food section of Hy-Vee grocery store here in the midwest (google where to buy if you don't have a Hy-Vee) and love the NNW Chocolate, Peanut butter chocolate, Vanilla Caramel, and Vanilla protein shake mixes. I use one scoop of the Body By Vi because it tastes like vanilla frosting, and one scoop of NNW. You can make any flavor and I use 8oz of Blue Diamond Vanilla Almond Milk, unsweetened (sugar free and 40 calories!) I always add 2cups of baby spinach leaves in ANY flavor of shake I make because you can't taste it (I promise!) Yes, it's green, but you cannot taste it, only the flavor of the protein shake.

For other low-fat/no fat & sugar free add in options:

Greek yogurt
    Fat free, sugar free pudding (2 tbs) I love pistaccio!
    Flavored extracts (pioneer has a ton, even coffee flavored!)
  • SexyMidnight
    SexyMidnight Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmhollis1
    cmhollis1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Banana Cream in 1% chocolate milk makes an excellent post-workout recovery drink. Their Extreme Milk Chocolate is amazing also.
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    Bump
  • flyuk
    flyuk Posts: 28
    Options
    Buy it in bulk and flavour it yourself. I get instantis(z)ed Whey Protein Isolate 90% from Bulkpowders or Myprotein and flavour it myself. They also sell the flavo(u)ring systems for them in little dropper bottles. If you want you can add your own flavo(u)ring; banana, PB, honey, sweetener. Much cheaper and you know exactly what's in it.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    I want to get a protein powder to remain lean muscle/increase protein and I like the taste of them :)

any suggestions there are so many brands out there!

Is your diet lacking protein to necessitate protein power? If not, why use the supplement? Don't just chug one down because everyone else thinks it's the right thing to do. Where possible get your macronutrients from food then supplement your shortcomings.
  • benzie314
    benzie314 Posts: 12
    Options
    IsoFlex Chocolate
    It mixes great but a 5 lb jug is 80 bucks cheapest place where is get mine is

NO carbs or fat :)
    http://www.lpsupplements.com/servlet/StoreFront
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Big Train Protein for meals(mocha, vanilla, espresso) - jus tadd water & fruit and then if I just need a filler for working out I use a Whey protein. (Jillian Michaels)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Body By Vi FTW!!!!!! Message me for details. :flowerforyou:
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Myofusion Probiotic Cinnamon Roll - It's soooo goood!!!!!
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If you want a BIG bottle for cheap $15 and Tastes GOOD!
    BODY FORTRESS
    Vanilla or Chocolate
    yummm!!!!!
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    isoflex peanutbutter chocolate chip (from Allmax Nutrition). my all time favorite for most protein for the fewest calories. mixes well and tastes great!

I'm going to have to try this...I love peanut butter anything!
  • qi5red
    qi5red Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Total Lean - Lean Shake, Rich Chocolate. I do find that the Strawberry tasted a bit sweeter, even though the sugar content is pretty much the same, 2 grams. If you don't want something sweet, use the pure protein powders with no additives. I use Total Lean as a meal supplement when I know that I will be out and may not have time to pack a snack or lunch. If you want a protein shake for somethig after workouts, I would suggest that you get the purest protein powder with no additives.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey French Vanilla is really a great priced Protein mix, it's available at the grocery stores (price chopper) where I'm from has it for $12.99 and it is only 100 calories per scoop. 18g P, 2g F, Sodium 60, 3g carbs, 2g sugar. It's light and not too sweet. I usually add in some kind of fruit. Good luck :)

I do Designer Whey Chocolate. Lowest calorie option I had seen. Watch the cholesterol though! Protein powders are high in cholesterol
  • Shyfire62
    Shyfire62 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism- and can not use soy. It took a good while before I found a protein drink that gave me everything I wanted!

I'll never use another besides Nature's Best Isopure Low Carb Protien Isolate. Tastes amazing, 3g carbs, 10,900mg of BCAA's, plus L-Glutamine. 50g protein and a whole slew of vites and minerals. Asparatame free, too. Love it! I mix the Dutch Chocolate flavor with Almond milk, frozen strawberries, and a few ice cubes- it tastes like a milkshake- delicious!! Also great mixed with Acai juice.

http://www.imedmart.com/Nature's-Best/Perfect-Low-Carb-Isopure/CHOCOLATE-3-LB.html?cmx=8X0D21&refx=FR00GX&gclid=CO3ZwO6zzrACFQ0q7Aodc1LjXQ