Boss taking me to lunch...at a greasy spoon restaurant

Options
So, the boss-man is taking myself, and 5 other gals, out for lunch today...the restaurant we're going to specializes in all things greasy...burgers, steak, fish etc.... I'll have to eat, so what's my best option?

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Avoid chips and fried slice! Bacon egg & baked beans would be OK & add tomato for more veg. I'd avoid sausages - cheap ones use lots of filler (bread) that soaks up loads of fat &mushrooms are "fat sponges" as well. Black pudding is very high calorie, don't go there, even if you like it.
    Our local greasy spoon does jacket potatoes & salad as well as roasts but the portions are ENORMOUS.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Avoid chips and fried slice! Bacon egg & baked beans could be OK & add tomato if you like it. I'd avoid sausages - cheap ones use lots of filler (bread) that soaks up loads of fat.
    Our local greasy spoon does jacket potatoes & salad as well as roasts but the portions are ENORMOUS.

Thay do an all day Breakfast...but it just seems so greasy... maybe I can talk the chef into baking a haddock fillet rather than deep frying it ...:\
  • beattie1
    Options
    Sorry, I've edited above to suggest avoiding mushrooms as well. Bacon & egg may be cooked in fat, but they're not absorbent so don't hold as much as some things do. Baked beans are your friends in the "greasy spoon" situation.
    Beans on toast?
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    At least you are with 5 other people so you won't be sitting across from each other and boss looking at your food!

In that situation, I think I would order a burger and use the knife and fork to eat it without the bun! Not sure what else?

Good luck--

I have a day of hospital appointments, so I will be looking for the "good" foods.
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Maybe they will have some chicken on the menu? If all else fails, burn it off later :)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'd go for scrambled eggs (two eggs)on toast with chedder cheese large Black coffee. I used to order it all the time in my greasy spoon, no one batted an eye.
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    Maybe they will have some chicken on the menu? If all else fails, burn it off later :)

Treadmill treadmill treadmill.....
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    Can you look up calories on a website, and pre-pick something that you could fit into your calorie allowance? Eat less for the rest of the day.
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    Can you look up calories on a website, and pre-pick something that you could fit into your calorie allowance? Eat less for the rest of the day.

The place doesn't have an online menu, and I don't go there often, so I've nothing to plan ahead with...I think I'll just go with what looks good, log it, then run my butt off tonight ;) thanks everyone
  • m4nd479
    m4nd479 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs on toast. Ask the chef to hold the butter/spread.
  • Cheeessseee
    Options
    good luck, let us know how it goes!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Broth-based soup & half a roast beef or turkey sandwich

Burger with some lettuce & tomato slices, or a side salad ..... ditch the roll & potato

Scrambled eggs with veggies, no toast or potato

Smallest portion steak, double up on veggies, no starch

And don't fret ..... enjoy the time with your boss & coworkers ..... (and eat a light dinner & exercise later !)
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If they had steak, I'd get the steak and a side of veggies of some sort.
  • nikinyx6
    Options

There is steak...and I'm also told they have a seafood platter....I'll let everyone know in 5 hours :)
  • beattie1
    Options

Burger with some lettuce & tomato slices, or a side salad ..... ditch the roll & potato

And don't fret ..... enjoy the time with your boss & coworkers ..... (and eat a light dinner & exercise later !)

LOL! You've obviously never seen a greasy spoon cafe! It's a UK term for a truck stop, so none of the above will be available (except the steak) unless it's a very unusual one. You can have any variation on fries, bread, eggs, sausage, burger, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, possibly other things - as long as it's ALL fried. Hence the name "greasy spoon".
  • beattie1
    Options

There is steak...and I'm also told they have a seafood platter....I'll let everyone know in 5 hours :)

Betcha the seafood is all fried in breadcrumbs or batter...... and the "veggies" are chips (AKA "fries" in the US) :noway:
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

LOL! You've obviously never seen a greasy spoon cafe! It's a UK term for a truck stop, so none of the above will be available (except the steak) unless it's a very unusual one. You can have any variation on fries, bread, eggs, sausage, burger, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, possibly other things - as long as it's ALL fried. Hence the name "greasy spoon".

You can get a wide variety of healthy food and not so healthy foods at trucks stops in the USA.
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    *drools over greasy spoon*
  • rlpalomino
    rlpalomino Posts: 27
    Options
    Maybe you can split a meal with someone else. What was once 1000 cal. is now 500.
  • mmottola12
    Options
    Do the best you can and have a lighter meal later. Weight loss is a journey and while we take one day at a time, it's the big picture we need to focus on. Good Luck :smile: