Question! Freaking out!

Options
Hi guys!

So, my start weight was 138, and I slowly but surely have crept down to 133. I've been running/ jogging appx. 4 1/2 miles everyday. Whenever I can't run, I make sure to go for a long bike ride, or do some other form of exercise that will burn calories! A couple days ago I started squatting. Some days I'll go for longs walks. Etc. Etc. I watch my calories carefully! My daily goal is 1200 and of course I eat more when I burn more. So, now, my question. Yesterday and the day before I wasn't able to run (so I watched my calories even more carefully), but last night when I weighed myself I weighed 138 AGAIN!!! And this morning, 135!!! What, the, heck! Is this normal??? I was wondering if I possibly am building up muscle already? (I would say I've been running faithfully for a month now) I need some input cause I am seriously discouraged. I have not splurged at all. :(

Replies

• mc322011
    mc322011 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    hi!

probably just a water balance shift . it happens to me all the time don't worry about it... avoid weighing yourself everyday once a week is enough otherwise you get obsessed with the changing numbers throughout the week!! :-)
  • GinnieC100
    GinnieC100 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a similar question. I am determined to lose 12 lbs in 6 weeks. Rode 30 miles on my bicycle yesterday, was really spent, there was a stiff north wind to battle too. When I weighted myself this morning I gained a half of pound. I am taking the day off from exercise today because my body is still so tired. I don't understand the weight gain.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    muscles need water to repair damage done to them.

Keep drinking, and stop going by numbers and go by how you feel.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Did you have a lot of sodium or sugar yesterday?

A rule of thumb for me is "most people don't lose that amount of weight overnight, doesn't it make sense you would gain it back that fast"?

I am almost positive its water weight. I can see someone gaining maybe 1 lbs, maybe 2 (and that's stretching it) if they binged but otherwise, your good. haha
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Do not weigh at night. The food and water you take in each day weighs different amounts so you will have varying numbers. Always weigh first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything and after you use the restroom. This will be your most accurate number.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is just water retention.

However, with such minimal amounts to loose you really should be eating more than 1200 net calories. You'll loose just as fast if you up your calories but you will feel much better. go to fat2fitradio.com and find out what your BMR is and set it to that. It was also calculate how many calories you should be eating to be at your goal weight, and also tell you if your goal weight is realistic.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It is physically impossible to gain any fat when eating at a defecit, and especially with all the exercise thrown in. It's water weight. You would have to consume your TDEE + 3500 calories on top of that to gain 1 lb of fat.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Either water retention or...are you close to your TOM? I sometimes gain 8-10lbs just from that :|
  • Kellybeth16
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this! I feel the same way. I lost 20 pounds fairly easily the first 2 months I started running and watching my calories, now it seems like I can't even lose a pound! I'm in month 3, and I was hoping to keep losing about 10 lbs a month, but it doesn't look like thats going to happen. Any advice would be great!
  • BlackLabLover
    BlackLabLover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    muscles need water to repair damage done to them.

Keep drinking, and stop going by numbers and go by how you feel.

Great answer! We need to listen to our bodies more...
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 2-5lbs on any given day. Especially from am to pm. Just weigh yourself once a week in the am and you can see the difference.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    track your morning weight... weight fluctuated throughout the day. If you weigh in at the same time every time, you should get a more accurate reading.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It is physically impossible to gain any fat when eating at a defecit, and especially with all the exercise thrown in. It's water weight. You would have to consume your TDEE + 3500 calories on top of that to gain "fat" weight.

this is exactly what i needed to hear, ty ty ty
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    People that are in good shape and have higher metabolisms will tend to see big weight shifts between bedtime and the time they get up in the morning even though you were only sleeping in between the two weigh-ins. Nothing to worry about. It means you may have a good rate of metabolism.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It is physically impossible to gain any fat when eating at a defecit, and especially with all the exercise thrown in. It's water weight. You would have to consume your TDEE + 3500 calories on top of that to gain "fat" weight.

+
    We "gain" for some many reasons...

Sodium
    Carb heavy meal or day
    Muscles holding on to water while they repair
    Constipation
    Building muscles
    Dehydration

So when I see a "gain" I give myself a few days of eatin cleaning and drinking lots of water
  • lala11975
    lala11975 Posts: 26
    Options
    You should weigh yourself at the same time 1 day a week, or you will drive yourself crazy. At night you may weigh more due to what you ate all day, and in the morning you didn't eat yet for the day so you weigh less. That's for me at least. That's why I weigh in in the morning. Plus you could be gaining muscle which will add weight. Another tip, I try not to eat my exercise calories. When I first started I was eating my daily calories plus my exercise calories and I wasn't losing anything. Now I'm down 7 pounds. I don't trust the exercise calories they say you burn, so I just try not to eat them, maybe a few if I need to, but not all of them.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Probably has been said already, but you want to weigh yourself at the same time if you are stepping on the scale daily (something you shouldn't really do anyway, but I know alot of us do... me included). Weight can fluxuate up to 5lbs durring the day. So weighing yourself at the same time will help with keeping a consistant varriable.

Also, allong with weighing yourself (which should NOT be the be-all end-all number for fitness), try tracking measurements arround your body, and well as getting a Fat % test every so often to see how you are doing. I went through a period where I lost no weight for 6 weeks, but dropped a pants size.
  • soonersgurl
    Options

+
    We "gain" for some many reasons...

Sodium
    Carb heavy meal or day
    Muscles holding on to water while they repair
    Constipation
    Building muscles
    Dehydration

So when I see a "gain" I give myself a few days of eatin cleaning and drinking lots of water

THIS ^^^^^
  • Ke3z
    Ke3z Posts: 7
    Options
    I have a similar question. I am determined to lose 12 lbs in 6 weeks. Rode 30 miles on my bicycle yesterday, was really spent, there was a stiff north wind to battle too. When I weighted myself this morning I gained a half of pound. I am taking the day off from exercise today because my body is still so tired. I don't understand the weight gain.

I've been doing MFP for a bit over 3 months, and my main form of exercise is cycling. What I've learned is that there is a time lag between when you burn the calories and when you see the result on the scale, due to the way the body processes/retains water. Of course, your calorie intake and other exercise factor in too, making it hard to draw a direct correlation between a specific individual activity and a specific change in weight. What works for me, psychologically, is just knowing that if I continually run a calorie deficit it will eventually have the desired effect (over 40 lbs so far); it's a long-term process. I weigh myself once a week, and even if my weight occasionally goes up a little during a week, sooner or later it will go down again... at least, it has so far!
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the whole 'muscle weighs more than fat'. Maybe if you're a body builder but to me, it's a load of rubbish told by people to make people who aren't losing weight feel good about themselves. Sure it might weigh more but it's not like an everyday human being has a whole lot of muscle they're building, especially considering they're losing fat.