Can you add protien power to...

Options
amyniceneasy
amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
I wanted to try the chocolate muffin or the banana muffin on the recipie boards...but I was wondering if adding a scoop or two of vanilla protein power to a baked good recipe would affect the taste/texture in a bad way. Has anyone tried this? If you CAN add protein power without effecting the taste too much...how much additional liquid do you need to add per scoop..if any?

I'm new to using protein power. I'd like to use these as a breakfast/snack option but I also like to have protein included with EVERYmeal/snack that I have.

Thanks to all that reply!

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'd love to know this as well.

I added it to oatmeal once. BIG MISTAKE!
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have! I made 'banana bread protein muffins' and it had 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder in it. They were quite good...I've made them twice now.

Here is the link. I also added some chocolate chips- just a few! :happy:

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/banana-bread-protein-muffins/
  • jadedbutterfly71
    jadedbutterfly71 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Adnan5224
    Adnan5224 Posts: 14
    Options
    Yes you can add protein powder just about anything you want to examples: pancake mix, coffee, cake batter, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.
  • Ociases
    Ociases Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sure you can add a scoop or two. You just might need to add a little extra water. I've added protein powder to pancake mix and they were delicious.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I had the tastiest chocolate muffin the other day... only to find out later that it had been made with chocolate whey protein!! I never would have guessed! It was the tastiest muffin that I'd had in a long time! So I guess the answer to your question is yes you can make a protein muffin and no it didn't affect the texture of the one I ate. In fact I've been meaning to find a recipe since my husband makes protein shakes (yuck though, my opinion) and I wanted to surprise him with a yummy alternative.
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    Yes you can add protein powder just about anything you want to examples: pancake mix, coffee, cake batter, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

hmm, never thought @ adding it to my coffee... great idea! to curb my sugar
  • jcrowe1
    jcrowe1 Posts: 5
    Options
    It has to be Muscle Milk to Oatmeal. It actually makes oatmeal a little better.
  • soph501
    soph501 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I used Phd diet whey in a few brownie/cake/cereal bar recipes but everything ended up having really rubbery consistency, but taste wise it was fine :). I think it depends what brand of whey you use really, as a lot of recipes on here appear to come out really well.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Bump for later

I'm becoming addicted to protein shakes...getting a little creative with what I add to them, and now can't go the day without one or two of them. Yum. Just starting to contemplate baking/cooking with the powder.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    YES! oh my gosh yes! Here's a delicious recipe I use all the time: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-recipes-cinnamon-swirl-protein-bread.html

I try to keep my sugars low and I don't eat gluten so protein powder can be a really good substitute for flour. I will say you should use it to replace some of the flour with protein powder because if you just add it, it can get really dry and tasteless.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would swap out some sugar and flour for the protein powder, instead of just adding the powder.
  • tonyrd3000
    tonyrd3000 Posts: 20
    Options
    Look up some of Jamie Eason's recipes online and on YouTube.
  • wwoelbel
    wwoelbel Posts: 23
    Options
    Be very careful here - not all protein powders are equal. What you can do with a pure whey protein powder is different from a soy based powder. Soy tends to suck up much more liquid than whey based powders and (in my experience) has a much more pronounced taste/smell effect on baked goods.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. I've baked with protein powder. This one is on my "to try" list at home.

http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/blueberry-power-protein-muffins/
    I added it to oatmeal once. BIG MISTAKE!

Why was this a mistake? That's my breakfast every morning. 1/2 cup plain oatmeal made with water then I add in 1 scoop of protein powder, 1/2 cup Egg Beaters egg whites. In this case, I've found it's much better to add the protein powder AFTER you micro-zap your oatmeal.
  • jtjunkie
    jtjunkie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Tried protein powder in my coffee this morning and I must say.. Not bad at all!
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, awesome thread!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to my porridge. Tried adding it to hot chocolate - massive fail.

If you want to try baking with it, try this site http://www.proteinpow.com/