Losing Motivation Help

Options
Everyone seems highly motivated and I'm trying my best to get back to that bit I seem to be losing. I'm 6'1 and was 202lbs in 2009, then shot up to 274 in 2011. I've never been that heavy &never plan to be again. So now I'm down to 240lbs but my motivation has been gradually fading. How do yall keep motivated?

Replies

• Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    Try setting smaller goals that are more easily achievable. The 'quick' win is most certainly motivating!
  • jhula222
    jhula222 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, but you're doing great. Losing that much weight is a huge accomplishment - you can keep going! I recommend reading Skinny ***** if you can - it tells you how to eat healthy and exercise in a language everyone can understand (e.g. "Don't be an idiot. Stop eating crap, and start treating your body the way it deserves").

The no-fail motivation boost for me? It sounds lame, but morning affirmations. Lay out your workout clothes the night before, get up early, and hit the gym or go for a run. Before you start exercising, say to yourself, "I can run a mile today. It's going to feel so good. I deserve to do this for myself."

Good luck!
  • sarapumpkin
    Options
    When I'm losing motivation I try to think back to how great it felt to loose, when my clothes started getting bigger, and shopping for smaller sizes. How the dieting and workouts were worth feeling so great. French fries and pizza, on the other hand can never make you feel that good!
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a work out/lifestyle change buddy. Someone who asks you why you are eating cake, why you had two servings instead of one (you'll need to show them your food diary), why you didn't come running when they were waiting for you at 6am? Someone to make you accountable. I tried hard to get my mum and sister along to the gym with me but they were full of excuses and so I used their not wanting to come as an excuse not to go. But then one day I went, nope! No more excuses, you will go alone, screw them. And now I do. I think of all those weeks I wasted not going because of them.

Instead of getting home and doing all that stuff THEN trying to fit in exercise, take your workout gear with you to work and go straight after. Therefore no excuses, you've lugged your gear that far so you may as well use it and you can't think up excuses for why you can't. and also DONT THINK ABOUT IT. Don't think, just put your gear on and go. If you allow yourself to think about why you dont want to do it, you let the voices in. Shut those suckers out.

Maybe you need to set yourself smaller weight loss goals. Lose 2 kgs in 2 weeks, 5 kgs by the start of August. I want to fit into that black spotty dress by August 8th. I want to be able to do 5 proper pushups on my toes by the 7th of July. Keep setting really small goals. Write them down and tick them off.
  • workoutchick
    workoutchick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i've fallen off the wagon too. I gotta get back to getting going again.
  • bear73000
    bear73000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been there with low motivation. I find changing up my routines helps with that. I will either change what I am eating, but staying healthy or doing different exercises. I think we all tend to get a little bored and loss motivation. Hang in there
  • maemcneely
    maemcneely Posts: 16
    Options
    Be positive :). Think of how far you've already come! You've already done so well, don't sell yourself short! Do you have someone to "partner" up with for workouts or eating healthy?? It's always harder when you feel like you're the only one. Remember that we are all in this together and all your myfitnesspal buddies are here to "root" you on!!!
  • hollipendleton
    hollipendleton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself, you have came a long way so far. Everyone has low points believe me we have ALL been there. You can do this . Just remember how you feel when you do lose weight and how proud you are of your acccomplishments. I know you can do this !!!!!
  • janarn329
    janarn329 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. . . .I just wanted to say that I am having a hard time too. I am 41 and used to be able to loose weight no problem. This time around. . its been almost a month and I have only lost 7lbs. I know that averages a little less than 2lbs a week. . but its frustrating to not see the changes when I am making the sacrifices. I am trying to loose a total of 30. I recently got divorced (which was not my choice) and during those months I gained about 15lbs on top of the weight I had gained just over time. Single again, I need to start feeling better about myself. I have been shook from this change in my life and was hoping to feel a lot better after strick calorie counting and exercising for a month. sigh!!! pluggin along!
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    janarn329, read as much as you can and actually use all the information and advice you can get off this community forum. Don't ignore what posters have to say. If they say eat breakfast, do it because we've all had results so we know what we say works.

My advice is in this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/631512-first-time-fatty-need-friends

Keep at it, don't expect results overnight (it took how long to get big? it won't take a month to lose it all again).

Open your diary so we can give advice on what you're eating.

Keep the cardio up and totally max it out and try to fit in stairs as much as you can.

Good luck (PS feel free to add me as a friend if you want some support)
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I hear you and feel your struggle. This is an up and down experience for me on a daily basis. And a lot of it has to do with the thoughts that go on between my ears. Each day -- each meal -- is a new beginning. Keep checking in, keep doing the best you can do in this moment, and you will continue towards your goals. None of us gained the weight overnight, and it isn't going to come off in 24 hours. You can do this. This is a fabulous community of caring, supportive people -- one of the best online "love" systems out there. Add friends, check the boards, and remember that this is a process. There is a lot of personal growth that comes from shedding pounds. You are so worth it!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Hi! First of all, 7 lbs in a month is great! I think people have a distorted view on weight loss with all the weight loss reality shows on TV now. We think in order to have successful weight loss, we need to drop 15 lbs a week when in reality 1-2 lbs is what we should be losing. 2nd, slow isnt bad, its awesome! It means you are changing, and change isnt easy, as long as you are progressing you are on the right track. Sure, we can all go on some crash diet, exercise our butts off for a cpl months and lose 30 lbs fast, but then next thing you know, your burned out and eating like crap again, & the 30 lbs you lost has come back, with interest! Thats what happened to me, this time around, I'm taking it easy and accepting small changes with big rewards in the end. Good luck on your journey!
  • 2legit_2quit
    2legit_2quit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I bought goal weight clothes put the weight on the items and when I reached each goal I set for myself I was allowed to wear it! :) if your scale shy try weighing more often if you weigh every day try doing it less. Also setting dates and time frames help..gives you motivation if your looking to lose "x" amount of lbs for a special occasion like a birthday etc.. Pick someone in your real life who is in very good physical shape and compete with them in your mind. Those are just a few ideas I'm sure I have more but I'm tired lol
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    1. Go to TheFitnessTutor.com and put it in your favorites.
    2. Realize what your weaknesses are. Write them down. Accept them. Smile. We all have weaknesses. Until you totally accept them, you can't strengthen them. Get comfortable with them, up close and personal. Then you can chip away at them a little at a time.
    3. Realize there is another world out there when it comes to weight loss. In this world, it doesn't matter if you can't get up early and run, or if you can run at all. In this world you don't have to do any specific anecdotal nonsense because exercise doesn't burn fat, no more than it burns protein, as far as you're concerned
    4. Realize that in reference to any given dilemma, task, etc., every second of your life will come down to a choice between two opposites. Find those two opposites and chose the one that takes you toward your goal. Or try to keep the ratio favoring your goal. It will be a yes or no answer. Should i log this? Should i eat all of this.
    5. Realize that a mile is walked one step at a time...the more steps you take backwards, the more you have to take forward. in other words, all of those little things matter, and eventually make the difference. gotta have mayo? measure it, cut your usual in half, eat open face sandwiches, drink another glass of water, don't put the cheese on that, measure your portions, etc.
    6. Oh yea, read and learn. Number 3 is understanding how food really works in the body and what the body wants to do with it.
  • Starla_86
    Starla_86 Posts: 88
    Options
    Just START, it doesn't matter if it's by cutting back a couple hundred calories or taking out something like a soda or a cappucino a day, little steps is the best way to do it. I thought I could never get back into dieting again but I've made a start, some days I don't do as well as others but I am cutting back and even just feeling better about myself. Its only been a week for me but I know that I can do this.
  • cwilli36
    cwilli36 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Everyone has great suggestions! Small goals, I have been doing 10 lb goals. Maybe you want to start with 5 lbs in a month or maybe 3 seems. Follow the guidelines mfp is giving you for food intake. Make smart choices, choose one thing each week that you could do better.
    And finding a local buddy to help you be accountable is a great thing! If not, keep logging, keep posting! Someone here will give you that encourag
  • cwilli36
    cwilli36 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cont......encouragement you need! Hang in there!
  • Ruebsss
    Ruebsss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm only 40 days into it but I've already noticed my motivation comes and goes depending on heaps of factors (including how much I drink). I find when I notice a difference in myself then I feel happy and am reinvigorated to keep going. What about looking at how far you've come already. Try on your fat clothes and see how well you've done. You're doing great and keep at it.
  • Hayley7611
    Hayley7611 Posts: 20
    Options
    Everytime I lose motivation, I always look at pictures from when I was larger and that helps! I also have a LOT of people that are following my story in the community and it has motivated them to start losing, so I can't disappoint anyone. I show people that it IS POSSIBLE to change your life for the better. When you eat healthy, you will feel better every morning when you get out of bed. Even if you don't know it. . your weight loss might change someone elses life someday so keep it up.
  • KellieLouise84
    Options
    I felt the same after my first 3 months, was doing really well until beginning of march and thought 'cant be bothered anymore'... stuck at it tho, kept coming on here and logging even when i was being lazy and going ridiculously over my cals, until i found the oomph to get going again... feel free to add me if you want!