Jaw pain after workout

Options
This is my first post but I'd like to see if anyone has ever experienced the same thing. I'm a 51 yr old female and have been excersising regularly for years though not as intently and consistently as this past year. I made a commitment at New Years to exercise 5x/week and I've been pretty much on track this whole time (even won a contest at my gym recently). I train 2x/week and do cardio 5x/week. Today I had an intense session with my trainer (30 or so sets, 15-20 reps each- we're on endurance training right now). After my sessions, i always like to do cardio, particularly because it really burns off the calories then. I did the most intense level on the elliptical the trainers had developed (which I've only done maybe 4 or 5 times before) and I nailed the intense intervals that are required for the most part- missed only one. After I got off the elliptical I felt pain on both sides of my jaw. Having a family history of heart disease, I am always aware of heart attack symptoms- jaw pain being one of them. of course, I was also nauseous and dizzy after the workout, but all these symptoms passed within a few minutes. This is the first time I ever had pain in my jaw. Reading the stuff on the internet about symptoms, etc. is just making me panicky now. And I do feel fine now and did shortly after. Has anyone else around my age experienced similar things like this after a really intense work-out?

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Just from the title of your post I was going to suggest you go to the ER or at the very least call your family practitioner.

Heart disease is nothing to mess with and jaw pain is a huge indicator in women.

Don't pass go, do not collect $200 --- get to the doctor! Better safe then sorry.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Were you clenching your teeth? I found that I do that sometimes during a hard work out......
    If you have any other symptoms - Call the doc.
  • motherhippo
    motherhippo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree. Get to a doctor ASAP.
  • lrmoore13
    lrmoore13 Posts: 16
    Options
    Before assuming the worst I would pay attention to whether or not you are straining during your workout and clenching your teeth. I ride dirt bikes and would get headaches from this because I was in a constant tense state. It affected my ability to stay fluid on the bike too. One thing that helped me was chewing gum while riding. It keeps your mouth busy and relaxes you a bit all over.
  • lrmoore13
    lrmoore13 Posts: 16
    Options
    Oh yea, and call the doc first! Better safe than sorry.
  • pchristie
    pchristie Posts: 38
    Options
    A few years ago, I was on the treadmill ( I am in pretty good shape running about 6 miles daily at a 9-10 minute pace) and I began to feel chest pain. The pain shot down my arm and I was so short of breath, I had to stop running. I was only 37 at the time, so I thought I was too young to have heart issues - especially because I don't smoke, try to eat reasonably well, and exercise pretty regularly although my weight goes up and down between 20 and 30 pounds. Anyway, I went to the doctor at the urging of my family and it turned out to be stress related - but I was glad I went.

If I were you, I would go to the doctor. I have one more short story to share with you. My dad, who has been an avid runner for 35 years at this point (running as much as 15 miles daily depending on the weather) and who also has a history of heart disease, began to feel a little short of breath. He had a check up that week and just happened to mention it to his doctor. He ended up needing a quintuple bypass surgery. Had he not mentioned it, he probably would have dropped dead and no one would have known because while his heart was in great shape, his major artery was 98% blocked.

I think it's always better to be safe than sorry, and if you have health insurance, and it won't cost you too much, I would just go to the doctor and get checked out just in case. Then, when you find out it's something minor, you won't have to worry about it :)
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I would say it is probably from clenching while working out. I even find the same thing happens while I am at work on the computer for too long. If it continues I would try getting a mouth guard to sleep with. It will give your jaw a nice rest.
  • simonba18
    simonba18 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will call my cardiologist, though I think it's probably nothing. I may have been clenching without realizing it. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
  • orchi51126
    orchi51126 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    a similar thing happened to me last night.. I did a boot camp workout for the first time.. while there was no pain in my jaw it felt like it wanted to lock on me for about 5 seconds.. anyone else have this issue?
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am a RN. I work in a trauma unit. Women usually do not have any symptoms with a heart attack. If they do it is usually indigestion, nausea, or mild symptoms. The jaw pain with the dizziness is classic heart attack warnings. Go to ER and demand stress test. Do not leave untill they do one. These symptoms may be your only warning. The next ones may be too late.
  • Bethaniey
    Bethaniey Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree with the nurse! Got to the ER!
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You might need to get a Coronary catheterization or angiogram as well to show any blocked blood vessels. Good luck!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Most def go see a doctor. Anytime you have a history of illness in the family and something pops up you should be preemptive.