Running (or rather jogging) 5km...

Options
Hi there,

I am new to running (well jogging really!), and wondered if we could compare times for running 5km. Just to give me an idea of what to be aiming for... I am currently JUST about able to run the full 5km, some days I have to stop for 1-2 mins to walk to catch my breath before continuing (usually around the 3km mark). But I am still finishing 5km between 38mins and 42 mins.

My jog is VERY slow, as I'm still quite heavy (190lbs) and have never been much of a runner, so I deliberately started slow. My weight is coming off and sometimes the running is actually enjoyable (never thought I'd say that !!). I have built up to 5km, using interval training, and have been quite impressed with the fact I am now up to 5km. AND that I can run it without stopping sometimes.

So.... what sort of times do you do 5km in ?? Please share...
Thanks,

Mel

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I am currently 196 and my 5k times are around 34-36 minutes. When I started running (training for a 5k) my times were more like 45. I finished a race at 37. On Monday, I ran a 5k in just over 34.

I'm noticing that as I lose weight, running becomes easier and my times and pace improve.

Good job getting started!!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I started running in February & last Saturday, I ran my first ever race (a 10K) & I finished in 55:45. My advice is to not worry about your time. My original goals were to not fall down, run the entire thing without walking & finish in less than an hour (I accomplished all 3). Just keep trying to run further without stopping than you did the last time. For me, interval training was what helped me run further & faster. Just keep at it & you'll do great.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi Lora (presumably!).. :)

That's good to know. I'm not too worried about my time currently - just gives me something to aim for. Tell me.. can you run all 5km without stopping, or do you need to walk at times ?

That for me was the biggest achievement, and I've completed it without stopping twice now, and while there are still times when I have to stop for 1-2 mins to walk - I don't beat myself up, I'm still running most of it... and it's still quite an achievement! :-)

I've a 5km race for life on sunday, and for the first time EVER I want to run it all. Aiming for about 40mins. But more important than time, is running it ALL. I've done it twice before - running for 3-4 mins, then walk for the same, etc. So works out at about half of it running.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Hi Lora (presumably!).. :)

That's good to know. I'm not too worried about my time currently - just gives me something to aim for. Tell me.. can you run all 5km without stopping, or do you need to walk at times ?

That for me was the biggest achievement, and I've completed it without stopping twice now, and while there are still times when I have to stop for 1-2 mins to walk - I don't beat myself up, I'm still running most of it... and it's still quite an achievement! :-)

I've a 5km race for life on sunday, and for the first time EVER I want to run it all. Aiming for about 40mins. But more important than time, is running it ALL. I've done it twice before - running for 3-4 mins, then walk for the same, etc. So works out at about half of it running.

Yes, it's Lora! :smile:

I can run the whole thing without stopping. When I did my first race on May 5th, I had to walk some of it (maybe a half mile total...broken up throughout the race). I've only just been able to run the whole thing in the last 3 weeks or so. I really saw improvement in that area after I started running exclusively outdoors.

I think you're doing great for getting started! I'm obviously no expert, but it sounds like we are on similar paths. I am training for a half-marathon right now with a friend (very, very nervous!!) and we are doing 3 mile runs four days a week until June 23rd, when we will start adding a mile a week. Should be interesting!

Are you doing any cross-training? I take spin classes twice a week and do a bootcamp class once a week and it has really helped my running. It also gives me some exercise that's not has hard on my joints as running is.
  • melanie3103
    Options
    Wow! Half marathon - good for you! when's that ? Good luck with the training... I don't want to jump the gun, but I'm already thinking about wanting to do a 10km.

It's funny you mention running exclusively outdoors, I had to run indoors yesterday (due to the weather here) but it was horrendous on a treadmill. No distraction, I was just staring at the numbers on the machine - painful and soul-destroying! It will at least motivate me to get out and run in all conditions (hopefully!)..

I find I have a sore left hip after running, that stops hurting after 24 hours. I run 3 times a week (5km each time). As I'm training for a run, that's what I've concentrated most my efforts on lately. I enjoy wii "just dance" (don't laugh - I can burn 400 cals in an hour of dancing round my living room like a crazy person!!!)... :-) And cycling I enjoy too. But as the weather's been rubbish, we've not done a lot of that.

Keep up the good work, with the training.. very impressed! :)

x
  • LoraF83
    Options
    No judgement here - I love Just Dance!! We play it regularly around our house :)

The half will be in September - hopefully giving me plenty of time to train for it!!! I might have to walk some, but I'm ok with that. I'm doing a 10k on Saturday......might walk some of that too, but just doing it for fun.

You mention that your hip is sore. Have you been fitted for shoes? I had a lot of knee and shin pain. Got fitted and found out that I underpronate. I bought a pair of shoes (Brooks Adrenaline) to correct that and have had no problems since. It might be worth checking out!

As far as cross training goes, I've found that strength training and spin has really helped. Have you thought about lifting weights (especially squats, leg press, etc)? Strength training might help your hip pain as well.
  • melanie3103
    Options
    Someone else suggested new trainers, I do need to invest in a new pair to be honest. I was waiting til after the 5km event on Sunday, so I don't have to worry about wearing them in. :)

Strength training might be worth a look too - I can't do lunges as it hurts one of my knees, so tend to avoid those. But squats are good, so should maybe try tackling some of those.

Thanks again for your support/advice - really appreciate it.

Good luck with the running training, keep up the good work x
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Starting slow is the way to go - most running injuries are a result of trying to do too much, too fast, too soon - so (pardon the pun) you've started out on the right foot.

I ran my first 5K in 2009 and my goal time was just under 40 min, I ran the same race a year later in 26:46. Your goal for your first 5K is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face, nothing more (I can honestly say that you will never forget your first race, the feeling of accomplishment is indescribable)

Keep it up & have fun!
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Someone else suggested new trainers, I do need to invest in a new pair to be honest. I was waiting til after the 5km event on Sunday, so I don't have to worry about wearing them in. :)

Strength training might be worth a look too - I can't do lunges as it hurts one of my knees, so tend to avoid those. But squats are good, so should maybe try tackling some of those.

Thanks again for your support/advice - really appreciate it.

Good luck with the running training, keep up the good work x

Just a thought on waiting to get new shoes- I went out and bought my first pair of true "running" shoes 2 weeks ago and believe me there was no wearing them in at all!! I was in love the moment I put them in- you should have seen the look on the guys face and I actually giggled and jumped up and down. I just wanted to go for a little run right there in the store- they were that comfortable. I still get giddy when I put them on. So I would suggest investing in them now before the race- just find a really good pair and maybe try them out once or twice before. I bought Asics.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My fastest 5K was 25:03 although if I timed one today, which I haven't done in a long time, I think I could run high 28's-low 29's assuming it's not 90+ degrees outside. I run poorly in heat.

You will get faster as you get lighter, if you exert the exact same amount of energy you can move 160 lbs quicker than 200 lbs for example. Do you mix up your running workouts? Any speedwork or intervals? Those are the best way to improve speed, they are designed to make your legs get used to moving faster. Also, I find that doing speedwork on a treadmill is much more desirable than running even-paced for the same amount of time.

Also, if you're running a large 5K (1000's of participants) it's very difficult to get an accurate time. Usually those start slowly and people get in your way, slowing you down.

Best of luck!
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My first 5k (about 1 year ago) was 31:14. I took several walk breaks. I ran the same race last weekend in 28:05. I was pretty excited to cut off over three minutes considering my legs were still a little "weak" from my 20k the week prior.

Speed and distance come with time. Do not worry at all. It is better to start slow and avoid injury: ).

Definitely go out and get fit for a good pair of running shoes. They will make a difference: ).
  • tidworth1972
    Options
    Hi,

Dont worry about your time now, enjoy the runs and your times will improve. Have you tried the Parkrun? www.parkrun.com they run free 5km organised runs all over the country, they are great fun.

Ryan
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    40 minutes which includes 5 min warmup time (and i count that distance towards 5k too) :)
    And Im in the same boat, just been able to run for 5k first time in life in last 2-3 weeks.

Njoy running!
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    My first 5k I finished in a bit over 36 minutes. Expect that it's going to be crowded and you're not going to make your best time. I had to walk a piece because the entire last 2/3 of the race were uphill (grr!). Just keep it slow and steady, and really, for the most part making yourself not stop is a mental game - you sound reasonably trained if you've done it a few times before without stopping, so your body CAN do it. You can always run slower if you need to. I proceeded to a 10-mile race from there and have done a few 8ks and half-marathons. It really is addictive. The best motivation I've found to keep me going is to sign up for another race to train for.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I am around 220 and do my 5k in 30-31 minute range. Great work!
  • melanie3103
    Options
    Hi,

Dont worry about your time now, enjoy the runs and your times will improve. Have you tried the Parkrun? www.parkrun.com they run free 5km organised runs all over the country, they are great fun.

Ryan

Hi Ryan, I have recently started these (there's one near me in Frimley, Surrey), I've done it 3 times now. AND as I'm away in the SW this weekend visiting family - I have already sussed out there is a similar Park Run Event near there, so I don't have to miss out this weekend while away. I have truly caught the bug! :-)

Mel
  • melanie3103
    Options
    [Just a thought on waiting to get new shoes- I went out and bought my first pair of true "running" shoes 2 weeks ago and believe me there was no wearing them in at all!! I was in love the moment I put them in- you should have seen the look on the guys face and I actually giggled and jumped up and down. I just wanted to go for a little run right there in the store- they were that comfortable. I still get giddy when I put them on. So I would suggest investing in them now before the race- just find a really good pair and maybe try them out once or twice before. I bought Asics.
    [/quote]

Hi there,

I have running shoes (mine are ASICS too) - so comfy too. I've had them ages though, so I ought to invest in a new pair now - think I've had them 4 years (!), so definitely ready for a new pair.

Thanks for the advice.

Mel
  • melanie3103
    Options
    My first 5k I finished in a bit over 36 minutes. Expect that it's going to be crowded and you're not going to make your best time. I had to walk a piece because the entire last 2/3 of the race were uphill (grr!). Just keep it slow and steady, and really, for the most part making yourself not stop is a mental game - you sound reasonably trained if you've done it a few times before without stopping, so your body CAN do it. You can always run slower if you need to. I proceeded to a 10-mile race from there and have done a few 8ks and half-marathons. It really is addictive. The best motivation I've found to keep me going is to sign up for another race to train for.

Hi there, yeah I did 5km on Sunday (Race for Life for Charity) - really pleased as I did it in 35 mins 53 seconds. WITHOUT STOPPING !!! I am already thinking about the next stage - 10km I reckon. I want to continue training, as I am really enjoying it, ALWAYS wanted to be able to run. :-)

x
  • melanie3103
    Options
    I think I posted this wrongly... as a reply to one post, so I'm not sure if you all saw it or not.. so apologies for repeating myself..

:-)

I ran my 5km Race for Life yesterday (Sunday) - managed it all without stopping, coming in at 35mins 53 seconds. Soooo proud of myself! ;-) There were 1000s of women all running/walking together, so it would've been difficult to get an accurate time, but that's why I wore my HRM and stopwatch. So I know it's accurate.

Thrilled, and have definitely caught the running bug, already thinking about the next stage - a 10km hopefully. I love it!!! :-)

Thanks all for your support/advice, loving the MFP love...
    Regards,

Mel x