Feeling Attractive/Pretty while a "Before"

Options
I'm the heaviest I've ever been while not pregnant (or immediately following pregnancy). My youngest is nearly 26 weeks. With my first, I had lost most of the weight by this point, and was left with needing to lose about 15 pounds. This time, I need to lose 40.

Having a double chin and rounder face is new for me. Sure, I had those things while I was pregnant, but I was pregnant, so I wasn't worried with looking overly pretty.

Now I just feel fat. I've been doing MFP for about two weeks, but had been trying to lose weight for over a month before that. The weight is steadily declining since now I can see what I'm really eating (I was eating a lot of nuts, not realizing how many calories they had, yikes!), but it's still slow. So. Very. Slow.

I've been styling my hair and wearing some makeup. I've also started tanning, partly to get some vitamin D, and partly to take just a few minutes for myself every couple of days. So, I'm feeling kind of better about myself, but it's still depressing. Like, sit in a corner curled up in a ball, depressing.

Does anyone have any tips for feeling better about themselves while working on that "After" pic?

Replies

• AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You have to be patient. Trust me, I felt the same way at the beginning of my journey. I was so mad at myself for letting myself get so out of control. But everyday I went to the gym I felt like I was accomplishing something. And it took forever (really just 2 months) until EVERYONE noticed. It took me about 6 months to start actually feeling more confident and beautiful again.

I think the steps you're taking to make yourself feel better are important. Continue being groomed and pretty. Wear cute clothes to the gym. And buy clothes at every size! It blows my mind that people wait to get a new wardrobe. I think that's super silly. You should feel happy about your success as you go along.

Also- remember that this journey isn't just about your looks. It's about your overall health- both mental and physical. Set goals that have nothing to do with how you look and focus on those. Example: I'm going to burn 800 calories today. or I'll drink 20 cups of water. or I'll eat 4 servings of green leafy veggies.

Those small goals will add up and you'll see the results on the scale, in the mirror, and most importantly- you'll feel your confidence improve. Best of luck gir! :flowerforyou:
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I think your off to a good start. Just by prettying yourself up and having some me time. You might as well start loving yourself now that way when you reach your goals it will be even more real and you will already have a good idea of what to do with yourself. Fake it til you make it, is a good motto to live by these days. Good luck :wink:
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    AbiNichole - Thank you for the tips! I'll start incorporating the mini goals today! :flowerforyou:

Curvimami - Fake it till you make it... Ha! I'll try that, too! :heart:
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You have to be patient. Trust me, I felt the same way at the beginning of my journey. I was so mad at myself for letting myself get so out of control. But everyday I went to the gym I felt like I was accomplishing something. And it took forever (really just 2 months) until EVERYONE noticed. It took me about 6 months to start actually feeling more confident and beautiful again.

I think the steps you're taking to make yourself feel better are important. Continue being groomed and pretty. Wear cute clothes to the gym. And buy clothes at every size! It blows my mind that people wait to get a new wardrobe. I think that's super silly. You should feel happy about your success as you go along.

Also- remember that this journey isn't just about your looks. It's about your overall health- both mental and physical. Set goals that have nothing to do with how you look and focus on those. Example: I'm going to burn 800 calories today. or I'll drink 20 cups of water. or I'll eat 4 servings of green leafy veggies.

Those small goals will add up and you'll see the results on the scale, in the mirror, and most importantly- you'll feel your confidence improve. Best of luck gir! :flowerforyou:

Love it!!! Great tips
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I had a black pair of skinny jeans that I would put on, I'd straighten my hair.. and I would do just a teeny bit of make up.. and I'd feel cute again.. BUT my 'skinny' jeans are too BIG on me now.. and my hair straightener is broken..

NOW I remind myself the reason I don't feel that cute is because none of my 'cute' clothes fit me any more <3 and that helps me to be okay with it. I do have a white tank top and my black sweats and flip flops and I feel adorable in those.. =p I have no idea why......but makes me feel a little bit better.
  • tiffany1226
    tiffany1226 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You have to love you. Inside. It shows on the outside. :) No matter if your 250 or 150. I am not happy with the way my body looks but I'm still me and I know I'm beautiful. I'm working on eating right and working out to let it show even more on the outside.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound "preachy" but you said you started tanning to get Vitamin D?..I hope you mean from the real sun and not a tanning bed. You are opening yourself up to a 75% chance of skin cancer if you are using a tanning bed. 15 minutes a day of "real" sun will give you enough vitamin D. Spray Tans are your friend! Plus the results are immediate. If you really want to splurge you can go to a spa and get a "sculpted" airbrush tan..they know how to make your legs and stomach look firmer and smoother. How? I don't know..magic of "makeup" I guess.

A new lipgloss always made me feel pretty at any weight!
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Everyone, thank you so much for your replies! I'm going to try them all. :)

Meechi53, you are right about the tanning beds. I've avoided them for years, opting intead to spend time outside. However, I am using one right now. I am aware of the risks, but I'm only going to use it for a little while, and not make a big habit out of it. I also spray tan, and I do try to spend a little bit of time outside each day. There are a lot of boring reasons why I'm doing it this way, but I've thought it out and I'm ok with this arrangement for now. But thank you for taking the time to make sure I'm educated about what I'm doing! I really appreciate that! :D