trying to lose with Hypothyroidisim

Options
any tips for those with hypothyroidism and weight loss? I have to admit I haven't been taking my medicine because I fear it will cause more weight gain. It has been an uphill battle to lose the weight I gained so soon after being at my lowest weight. I need help! Thanks!

Replies

• teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What do your current eating patterns look like? I cant see your diary so it would help to see how your fueling your body during any given day. Also, any physical activity? workoutS?
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for about 15 years now and have successfully lost weight with it.

First of all, you NEED TO BE TAKING YOUR MEDICINE or you will NOT lose weight.

Take it consistently, in the morning, on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before you put anything in your stomach (your medicine will absorb properly.).

Get your blood tested regularly. My dr has me testing every 3 months. It does vary and my weightloss has stalled when my TSH levels were off.

It can be a struggle, but it can be done! Don't give up!

There is a hypothyroidism group here on MFP....join us...there's a lot of good information and many people who understand and know what you are going through.

Good luck!
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hypo means your thyroid naturally underperforms. An underperforming thyroid means you will gain weight more easily. TAKE YOUR MEDICINE. Your medicine is there to replace the hormones your thyroid is not putting into your body and will make it easier for you to lose weight like a healthy person would.

TAKE YOUR MEDICINE.

I am hypothyroid. I take my medicine. I lose more or less normally.

ETA: My sister is also hypothyroid. She didn't take her medicine. She ended up in the ER thinking she was having a heart attack because her illness causes her to experience more anxiety, which caused a panic attack. Take your medicine!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thyroid meds might make you LOSE weight, not gain. Or are you HYPERthyroid? I guess I'm confused.

Take your meds. On an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes before eating. Regardless of weight loss, you NEED these meds.

Exercise will really help someone with hypothyroidism.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hypo means your thyroid naturally underperforms. An underperforming thyroid means you will gain weight more easily. TAKE YOUR MEDICINE. Your medicine is there to replace the hormones your thyroid is not putting into your body and will make it easier for you to lose weight like a healthy person would.

TAKE YOUR MEDICINE.

I am hypothyroid. I take my medicine. I lose more or less normally.

this
  • flamax
    flamax Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take my medicine every morning on empty stomach a list 30 minutes before eating breakfast I don't lose weight fast but it can be done!!!!You NEED to take your medicine or you will risk to gain weight.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    TAKE YOUR MEDS! I understand the thought of being on medications everyday for who knows how long, maybe the rest of your life, is hard to comprehend but, it will help you lose weight! I have started having slight issues and my thyroid is enlarged but my numbers are ok so, I cant go on medication. SO, I keep it low carb/sugar (high triclycerides too), take a multi-vitamin and keep myself moving.

BUT, YES, take your meds! Having HYPOthyroidism means you will put on weight withOUT your meds.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i too am hypo, and am loosing weight slowly! you must take your meds like mentioned above and log everything, don't eat soy and it will come off...
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for about 15 years now and have successfully lost weight with it.

Take it consistently, in the morning, on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before you put anything in your stomach (your medicine will absorb properly.).

Get your blood tested regularly. My dr has me testing every 3 months. It does vary and my weightloss has stalled when my TSH levels were off.

There is a hypothyroidism group here on MFP....join us...there's a lot of good information and many people who understand and know what you are going through.

Good luck!

THIS. Definitely take your medicine. You need your levels back in a normal range to lose weight. I've been hypo for a few years and getting on meds has gone a long way towards my weight loss and overall improved health.
  • bmwaa
    bmwaa Posts: 7
    Options
    I did have hyperthyroidism and now my thyroid is completely dead! So now I have hypothyroidism. I agree with all the other posts take your meds. I gained 60lbs while getting my medicine figured out and while doing radiation treatments to kill my thyroid. I have lost 45 lbs. I had a baby right before all of this happened so I still have 35 lbs to go. But it can be done. I take my medicine an hour before I eat. And I do not snack at all. Make sure you exercise and eat right and it will come off slowly but it will come off!
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    take your meds! i went off for a week and gained 3lbs! that's a big key for me!
    otherwise, I don't worry about it. as long as I take my meds, I'm fine and it doesn't have any affect on my life. and I've lost almost 10lbs in 10 weeks so far, so it hasn't hindered my weight loss journey.

check out my profile if you want to see how i've been losing weight.
  • Ladycard26
    Ladycard26 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i too am hypo, and am loosing weight slowly! you must take your meds like mentioned above and log everything, don't eat soy and it will come off...

What is the deal with soy and hypothyroidism? Ive recently been diagnosed and was not aware of this. I sometimes drink soy milk and am wondering what effect this has.

And yes, take your meds!!!!
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've had hypothyroidism for 7 years now...and I lost 35 lbs in 2008....gained it bk. but I have lost 41 since Jan.1 2012. Take your meds...or it will be nearly impopssible to lose the weight. So I don't see why anyone with thyroid issues can't lose weight...as long as their levels are being watched and they are taking their meds.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Good luck!

What the Prof said! I have it too :smile:
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options

What is the deal with soy and hypothyroidism? Ive recently been diagnosed and was not aware of this. I sometimes drink soy milk and am wondering what effect this has.

I didn't know there was a connection; my aunt is hypothyroid so I figued it was genetic. I did drink soy milk exclusively until I was in preschool due to a dairy allergy. But since then I've always drank regular milk (except for the rare soy latte), or hemp/almond milk. I DO know that soy messes with hormones, esp estrogen. I had no idea that among the hormones it affected was TSH or T4 though? Is that true?
  • BloSSom46
    BloSSom46 Posts: 2
    Options
    I too have hypothyrodism. The medicine should help you with your weight loss. I don't know what you are taking, but I am taking 50 mg of levothyroxin. (sp?) Since I have been on my medicine, I seem to maintain a little better. I just over ate this winter and have packed on 12 pounds or so. Make sure you are eating a balanced diet, exercise ( I know that is tough with a baby), stay positive, and check with your doctor.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options

And yes, take your meds!!!!

Soy can inhibit the absorption of your medicine and lower your thyroid function.

OP: It's already been said, but needs to be said again - take your meds. You don't want to mess around with this. Your thyroid hormones regulate more than just weight - your levels being out of whack can also affect your heart, among other things (no time to look up the list of all the body systems that are affected). Besides, by taking the pills, you will lose more weight than by not taking them.
  • Allishole
    Allishole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. You haven't been taking your medication? You realize you will get more sick without the synthyroid, correct? I was hyperthyroid until I was 19 when I was diagnosed with cancer. They removed it, and I became hypo. Mind you, I weighed 110 and was a college ballerina. I didn't take my meds either...until my hair started falling out and I gained a TON of weight, all the way to 187 (did you also know that it will cause your eyes to bug out if you don't take it??). I am now 31 and function fulltime on taking the pill in the morning. Wake up. Take the little baby pill. Read instructions and wait about an hour before eating breakfast. Work out. Eat right. Bam-o, weight gone!
  • STC189
    STC189 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had to switch from Synthroid to Armour (it just works better for me), and even then it took months before I started feel like a normal person and lose weight. I have noticed that unless my TSH is around 1, my symptoms creep back in and the weight loss stops. But like I said above, that is me and my body. Everyone is a little different.

Oh, and you really need to be taking your meds. Not taking your meds is a not a good thing at all. If the med you were on isn't working, find a different one. But remember, there is a lot involved to include patience before you will find the right dosage and the right med for you. I went out and found a dr that is hypothroid herself, so she was aware of all the lately information. The first dr I saw wasn't proactive and didn't want to do anything once my numbers were "normal" even though all the symptoms were still there.
  • cdparmer
    cdparmer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You need to take your meds, it will help balance your system so you can start losing weight. It can be a slow processes but it can be done.:smile: