A bacon sundae?? REALLY??

Options
I just read an article about one of Burger King's new menu items that is due to be released tomorrow. It's a BACON sundae that has 510 calories, 18 grams of fat, and 61 grams of sugar.

Now, I know there's a lot of debate on fast food restaurants and how their food is "making people fat". I totally agree that if you choose to eat that food (as I've done several times in the past) that it will eventually make you fat.

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I believe that everyone has to be held accountable for their own actions. No one is forcing people to eat at Burger King or any other restaurant, so I don't agree with people who sue these places for "making them fat"

On the other hand, it shocks me that food products that are obviously bad for you and that will eventually lead to several health problems (and even death if eaten regularly) are not more closely regulated and do not come with "warning lables" or something similar like cigarette packages do. I think that if people were more aware of the potential dangers of eating these foods, they would think twice about it.

What's your opinion?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about one of Burger King's new menu items that is due to be released tomorrow. It's a BACON sundae that has 510 calories, 18 grams of fat, and 61 grams of sugar.

Now, I know there's a lot of debate on fast food restaurants and how their food is "making people fat". I totally agree that if you choose to eat that food (as I've done several times in the past) that it will eventually make you fat.

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I believe that everyone has to be held accountable for their own actions. No one is forcing people to eat at Burger King or any other restaurant, so I don't agree with people who sue these places for "making them fat"

On the other hand, it shocks me that food products that are obviously bad for you and that will eventually lead to several health problems (and even death if eaten regularly) are not more closely regulated and do not come with "warning lables" or something similar like cigarette packages do. I think that if people were more aware of the potential dangers of eating these foods, they would think twice about it.

What's your opinion?

Yes, we need more nannystatism pfft
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    hand me a spoon.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    A small blizzard from dairy queen has worse stats than that.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Warning: Life may result in death.

Really, we have the world at our finger tips, and warnings are everywhere about everything. Do you honestly think putting bacon on a sundae is suddenly going to make it tons worse than a dessert usually is? People put nuts on sundaes, and all sorts of other stuff.

Just leave people be to make their own decisions, be it right or wrong.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I will have spoon in hand when I go.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    on the one hand there's bacon and on the other hand .. oh wait bacon always wins out.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think comparisons to alcohol and tobacco products aren't all that fair. Your assertion that a bacon sundae is just flat out bad for someone doesn't really hold. By itself, it's just energy. Carcinogens by themselves are still carcinogens.

*waits patiently for someone to claim that the bacon sundae somehow causes cancer*
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    hand me a spoon.

Make that two.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think comparisons to alcohol and tobacco products aren't all that fair. Your assertion that a bacon sundae is just flat out bad for someone doesn't really hold. By itself, it's just energy. Carcinogens by themselves are still carcinogens.

*waits patiently for someone to claim that the bacon sundae somehow causes cancer*

Nitrates in bacon :tongue:
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    No, sorry. I just kind of feel we are all responsible for what we eat, wear, say etc...
    I do feel sad/bad however when I see parents purchasing this stuff for young kids. Of course they are going to eat it. As a parent, we need to teach our children at a young age and that certainly isn't teaching them good eating habits.

My own personal opinion.
  • plbrown81
    plbrown81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think it's hard to claim that someone wouldn't know that eating a bacon sundae is bad for them. I don't grab ice cream and think "Oh great! This is a fantastic meal for me!".

I think there is more than enough information and opportunity out there for people to know that fattening food (ie bacon) is bad for them, and they may choose to what what they wish with that. Remember when Michelle Obama pushed for healthier lunch foods in schools? And when she worked with Walmart to make healthier food cheaper and more readily available? People reacted by blowing a head gasket and saying "HOW DARE SHE FORCE US TO FEED OUR KIDS HEALTHY FOODS! HOW DARE SHE TELL US WHAT WE SHOULD AND SHOULDN'T EAT! IF I WANTS MY BACON I'LL EATS IT!"

I'm paraphrasing (kind of) but the general gist is - people don't eat unhealthy food because they don't realize it's bad for them. They eat it because they know and just don't care.
  • EvanKeel
    Options

Nitrates in bacon :tongue:

lol, I had thought of that after I posted, but I think the lack of warnings on packages of bacon is probably significant.
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It is really about the money, if it sell, and they think it will, it will stay around. As for a warning, it took a long time and much effort for that to happen, who is going to have the engery or care to do that for one 'food' item. If they try to label everything that exceeds af fat or Kcal content that would really put them up against the food industry.

I love ice cream even soft serve and I love bacon but just not together.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    Actually this makes me wonder why more restaurants don't put bacon creme brulee on their menu. It sounds delightful.
  • Rissa9156
    Rissa9156 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree. We all have to take some responsibility (as I have). It would help if the resturants would post (clearly post and easily understood) the nutritional value of their menu items. Since my husband and I have been 'reading the labels' you'd be surprise at what we are actually eating:smile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why does this particular product get you all up in arms? It's no worse for you than the ones that have been out there for years. It's just sort of gross.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    bacon.jpg
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bacon ice cream has been around for almost a decade. If anything, it's quantity that is the problem, not the item itself.

I don't see the big deal about this at all. If you eat it once and awhile and it fits into a healthy diet plan, no problem. You eat it for every meal for a year, there's probably going to be some problems.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Actually this makes me wonder why more restaurants don't put bacon creme brulee on their menu. It sounds delightful.

Because they suck. It sounds amazing.