Gluten Free

Options
Hi there
My daughter is a celiac and we are completely gluten free at home. I am finding it challenging to come up with tasty healthy gluten free meals, especially lunch box ideas. I have made lots of gluten free receipies but they seem to be heavy on the sugar to help with the taste of the gluten free flours.

Can anyone share any low fat gluten free recipies?

Thanks
Jackie

Replies

• vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I use Doves Farm gluten free flour and don't have a problem with the taste, I just use it like regular flour, you have to add a little more liquid to recipes but that's the only difference. I don't know if it's available where you are, I'm in the UK.
  • kcksmo
    kcksmo Posts: 19
    Options
    I have a gluten sensitivity and found it really challenging at first too. After awhile it is pretty easy if you can lay off bread and pasta. Salad, meat and veggies make up a whole meal without any gluten.
    Cereal - chex
    snacks - nuts, cheese, some nature valley bars, fruits, veggies, hummus
    meat/fish - any!!! chicken, beef, pork, tuna.... salmon.. pretty much everything without breading
    potatoes are great. I eat sweet potatoes all the time...
    breakfast for dinner is always fun - eggs, hasbrowns

A great book is "G Free Diet" by Elizabeth Hasselbeck - it has tons of ideas and tips.
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about going gluten free since my best friend has a sensitivity and I know she feels a lot better since cutting it out of her diet. Since I am always SO sleepy after eating any kind of gluten, I think it may help me out as well
  • ChunkyChickn
    ChunkyChickn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the paleo or primal websites for recipes. All the gluten free foods are filled with sugar -- it's like trading in one evil (gluten) for another (sugar). If you still want to eat grains, there are options like rice and quinoa that are worth looking into.

Depending on her gluten sensitivity, also go through any cosmetics or body care products. All that stuff usually have some form of gluten in it as well. It's everywhere!
  • kimkim1123
    kimkim1123 Posts: 20
    Options
    Check out the Spunky Coconut blog, she also has recipe books for sale. Her recipes are gluten free and healthy.
  • njgal35
    njgal35 Posts: 28
    Options
    my 6 year daughter is gluten free as well.

We do a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, lentils, chilli, soups, chicken nuggets made with rice flour, meatballs with gluten free pasta.
  • thatTASHAgirl
    Options
    Gluten Free Cooking for Dummies has been a life saver for my son who also has an intolerance. If you're interested, I'm happy to send you a few recipies that I've used with him. He's an exceptionally picky eater, which doesnt help my plight. But there are a few things that have worked quite well!
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My mom and I buy Bob Red Mills All Purpose Gluten Free Flour. We have found using this in old recipes and just swapping out the regular flour with the gluten free flour works great. You also need xanthan gum to make the flour rise. It says on the package how much to add depending on how many cups of flour you use. This usually works out better than buying the premade gf mixes. The only ones I have liked are Betty Crocker and Bisquick.
  • florence386
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am in Alberta, Canada and some of the products are not available here. I know the gluten free bisquick is not here. Some of the gluten free betty crocker mixes are here and they are good, but have the sugar. I really struggle with packed lunches and breakfasts that are quick that arn't oatmeal! I have the gluten free cooking for dummies and a few others, I just find there is a lot of time taken up with some of these recipies.