Vegetarian/Vegan Protein options?

Options
Hey folks! I need some help in upping my protein as I want to start doing more strength training. The issues are that I have been vegetarian for 15 years and have a number of food sensitivities. So that means no meat, no dairy (including whey) and I have to limit protein powders because almost all of them have a fake vanilla additive that gives me migraines.

Right now I do eggs every second day, and a pea protein powder on alternative days. But that does not seem near enough. I have my macros set at 50/25/25, which I know is not ideal, but I am still struggling to get enough protein and not go over the carbs and fat. Most plant proteins, even soy edamame and hemp have a high carb to protein ratio, or a high fat to carb ratio. Most bean and legumes are higher in carbs and still don't pack enough protein.

Does anyone have a magic protein pill? or suggestions on what I could do to get more in my diet? Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• macylbrock
    Options
    Any (natural) non meat protein option is going to be high in carbs. They are complex carbs though, and those are very good to include in your diet. You could try using a green superfood powder, they are low in carbs and semi high in protein, I know there are also some vegetable based protein powders at most health stores, but you may just have to re-evaluate your diet to allow more carbs, you could always take a fiber supplement with your carbs to try and reduce the impact, but honestly, the carbs from veggies and legumes are not as bad as the carbs from refined grains and sugar.
    You could also look into textured vegetable protein at your local health food store (usually sold in the bulk section), it in high in protein and low in carbs and calories. In my opinion, it is not the best thing on the planet for you because it has been processed and it is made from soybeans, but it will help if you are not wanting to increase your carb intake.
    Here is some nutritional info on TVP: http://www.calories-nutrition.buddyslim.com/textured-vegetable-protein-tvp/
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Veg. here too (24 years). I try to eat eggs (2) every morning. They kind of creep me out which is why I eat them in the a.m. before I can give it much thought. Anyway here are a few more:

-quinoa
    -seitan (wheat gluten)
    -tempeh (soy based)
    -soy (tofu& edamame)
    -nuts (cashews, almonds, pistachio, peanut etc)
    -legumes (kidney beans, black beans, garbanzo beans, pint beans etc)
  • stopdangerpi
    Options
    Switch some of your grains with quinoa. Packed with protein.

I also use Nutritional Yeast which has B-vitamins and proteins. I sprinkle it into eggs, sauces, whatever. It makes sauces thicker too.
  • heddylamar
    heddylamar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others have listed:

- avocado (high in fiber, vitamin C and fiber too)
    - banana (high in potassium, fiber and B6 too)
    - whole grain breads
    - cheese
    - nut butters (avoid the added sugar/fat by grinding your own)

Some of Dave's Killer Breads have up to 6g protein per slice.
  • veganpoler
    veganpoler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't think those macronutrient ratios are realistic on a vegan or near-vegan diet. Plant proteins are packaged differently - while animal proteins tend to be packaged with fat (meat, cheese, eggs), plant proteins are usually packaged with carbohydrate (beans and lentils). You can get lots of protein from legumes, but you will be getting carbohydrate as well. Not that that's a bad thing. As a pole dance instructor I am doing tons of strength training and building a lot of upper body strength - I am getting visible arm muscles that I never had before in my entire life - and this is all on a vegan diet of probably 10-15% of my calories from protein. Then again, I do eat over 2000 cals/day so I am getting plenty in terms of grams of protein - probably 70-80 grams/day.

Anyway, best sources:

- beans
    - lentils
    - tofu/tempeh
    - seitan
    - vegetables
    - nuts
    - whole grains

I do drink protein shakes occasionally if I'm teaching back to back classes - I use MRM veggie protein powder. I buy chocolate and vanilla - chocolate is my favorite and it probably wouldn't have that vanilla flavoring in it. It has really good ingredients: pea, rice, and hemp protein, flaxseed, chia seed, and stevia to sweeten. It's a pretty good one and I'd recommend it if you aren't allergic to any of those ingredients.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    Oh thank you Veganpole for saying those ratios aren't realistic! I've just changed them and found it way too hard! Going back to something like 55/20/25 might work better. It seems everyone is pro-protein and anti-carb so it's hard to feel your diet is correct.
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't think those macronutrient ratios are realistic on a vegan or near-vegan diet. Plant proteins are packaged differently - while animal proteins tend to be packaged with fat (meat, cheese, eggs), plant proteins are usually packaged with carbohydrate (beans and lentils). You can get lots of protein from legumes, but you will be getting carbohydrate as well. Not that that's a bad thing. As a pole dance instructor I am doing tons of strength training and building a lot of upper body strength - I am getting visible arm muscles that I never had before in my entire life - and this is all on a vegan diet of probably 10-15% of my calories from protein. Then again, I do eat over 2000 cals/day so I am getting plenty in terms of grams of protein - probably 70-80 grams/day.

Anyway, best sources:

- beans
    - lentils
    - tofu/tempeh
    - seitan
    - vegetables
    - nuts
    - whole grains

I do drink protein shakes occasionally if I'm teaching back to back classes - I use MRM veggie protein powder. I buy chocolate and vanilla - chocolate is my favorite and it probably wouldn't have that vanilla flavoring in it. It has really good ingredients: pea, rice, and hemp protein, flaxseed, chia seed, and stevia to sweeten. It's a pretty good one and I'd recommend it if you aren't allergic to any of those ingredients.

I agree....at the beginning of my journey I was trying to fit my macros into a standard 40/30/30 or 40/40/20 that was not for me....once I started to adjust to fit my needs that's when the results started to appear...
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you Veganpole for saying those ratios aren't realistic! I've just changed them and found it way too hard! Going back to something like 55/20/25 might work better. It seems everyone is pro-protein and anti-carb so it's hard to feel your diet is correct.

I agree.... and it all depends what your goals are 55/25/20 works for me when I do a program likep 90X/ Insanity. I consume over 2100 calories per day with 250grams in carbs, aim for 115 grams in protein and 50 grams in fats...times I go over, but it's good fats...so I don't stress too much...
  • tracedlines
    tracedlines Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Vega Protein. It's a little pricey but it's the BEST vegetarian/vegan protein out there. Along with like 20+ grams of plant based protein it also has branch chain amino acids!