Never be in Pain while Working out.

Options
Is it true that we should never be in pain while working out. It means something is breaking or ripping inside of you?

This is what I keep on hearing.

I just exercise and then when pain comes, I take a break and stretch and lift some weights. Then I go back to using whichever machine I desire.

Replies

• joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There is physical pain from say pulling a muscle which you should obviously stop and see what that is about before continuing.
    And then there's mental pain/fatique. The people that fail to see results are in this category because they can't get through that mental block and succumb to pain too easily and often. When you're body adapts and it will you have to push harder or heavier whatever the case may be.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's a fine line that can be hard to differentiate at first. There's hurting yourself, then there's injuring yourself. A little stress/pain isn't a bad thing, but it can easily cross the line and become a problem.

Ultimately you have to know your body.
  • amyramoon
    amyramoon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you. From what I can understand, a little pain is good. It means that something is happening. A lot of pain however, can be bad. Well, that makes sense. It's the same with anything else, we need to challenge ourselves once in a while to progress.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I think of it as soreness and burning vs. sharp pains that restrict your motion.

Soreness is good.