Need help upping my calorie intake, meal ideas?

Options
I am currently eating around 1200 calories a day which is way too low. The nutrtionist at my gym advised me to have a 1400 calorie diet based on my height, weight, body fat% and the body I am going for. (Toned, strong, lean :) ) anyways I am a bit scared I am going to pack on pounds by doing this because my body is use to around 1300. I am doing it anyways! I am a vegetarian any healthy higher calorie meal/snack ideas would be great. Thank you :)

Replies

• Jayme813
    Jayme813 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! Not a vegetarian, but I can not seem to eat more than 1250 calories of HEALTHY food in a day. Of course, if I eat out or eat junk, I can... but that is not how I want to spend my calories. and at 1250, I feel full... sometimes even stuffed. Some ideas would be great!
  • theys1
    theys1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How often are you eating? Try to eat 5-6 small meals a day.....try adding in more healthy fats......do you use a whey protein at all? Quinoa is a higher calorie product and it's also a complete protein as well that can give you a few extra calories.....I'm don't eat vegetarian so it's obviously a little bit harder on your end. Do you like cottage cheese? Before I workout I eat a half cup cottage cheese mixed with 1/2 an apple sliced up and a packet of truvia and cinnimon. My hubby likes his cold and I like to heat mine up. Also ezekiel bread with some coconut oil spread onto it. You should not gain a bunch of weight by going up to 1400 calories....if anything it will probably be a good thing for your body. Depending on what type of training your doing......to get the body you want you will need those extra calories. Hope that helps!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The way I increased my calories slowly was increase a portion of food you normally have in a meal a bit.

So let's say you have 50g of lean meat in one meal, up that to about 75g or 100g if you are feeling up to it. Same with other food.

You could also try adding nuts into your diet if you aren't eating them already. You will easily get 100 to 200 calories from a small portion of nuts. Healthy fats and a bit of protein.
  • cmod57
    cmod57 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree a healthy trail mix is a good source of calories.