Weight watchers doing pregnancy

Options
Did anyone ever tried doing weight watchers during pregnancy and actually lost some weight? And how exactly it compares to the calories that we count here is it almost the same? Does anyone know?

Replies

• auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers never let me do it during pregnancy. I am definitely interested in how to count calories to lose weight safely while preggo too though.
  • bagaydina
    Options
    I think i'll just do my regular 30 points since i don't feel hungry at all and i feel much better then before doing it. I signed up a long time ago so I have book but I know they won't let you do it just for their own safety
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    In the earliest part of your pregnancy the baby is not as dependent on you for caloric intake. This is why mild to moderate nausea and vomitting are not of great concern to a MD or midwife in the first trimester. After that though, your baby really needs you to eat enough for their growth and development and you must be very careful to be sure that you are getting enough. Pregnancy does not mean that you have to gain tons of weight.

If a woman is severely overweight a MD might recommend only gaining about 15- 20#'s but if you are not super overweight your best goal would be to eat healthy and exercise.

By eathing healthy and getting plenty of proteins and excercising you are doing something totally wonderful for your baby and for your labor and delivery.

Talk to your MD or midwife to see how you can incorporate the WW system into your new situation. The idea of an exchange diet is fine just not overly restricting calories.

Congratulations!!!!
  • mommy22
    Options
    NEVER attempt to lose weight while pregnant. End of story.

Talk to your OB-GYN, let him or her recommend a nutritionist who will help you with food guidelines throughout the pregnancy to make sure you only gain the minimum, eating about 300-500 cals more per day.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    So if MFP recommends 1200 cals per day, you should add 300-500 cals to that for a healthy pregnancy? That's what I want to know. Next time I get pregnant, I don't want to gain 50lbs more than I should (80 total) like the others. That's where my gaining happens, and it's a booger to get it off afterwards. I still plan to use MFP when/if I get pg.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I found alot of info on babycenter.com
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    My husband and I are wanting to have a child so I have been talking to my doctor and reading up on some literature about how to have a healthy pregnancy. Weight gain is going to happen and pregnancy is not the time to diet because the baby needs nutrients to develop and grow. The first few weeks doctors don't worry about weight loss because of morning sickness but that can't be helped. It is recomended a woman eat 300 to 500 calories per day more than they are used to. You might want to check with your doctor just to make sure you are eating enough. 1200 calories is the minimum the body needs. Eating a healthy balanced diet is usually what is recomended.

A woman of healthy weight should gain approx. 25 to 35 pounds
    Underweight 28 to 40 pounds
    Overweight 15 to 25 pounds
    Obese 11 to 20 pounds
    I got this info from babycenter.com which my doctor recomended.

If you are worried about gaining to much weight you can still exercise which is also healthy for the baby as long as you are not having any complications. This is also something you should ask a doctor about. The truth is when you are pregnant it is no longer about what you want. The baby should be your main focus. No doctor in his right mind would advocate diet and weightloss during pregnancy.
  • mommy22
    Options
    So if MFP recommends 1200 cals per day, you should add 300-500 cals to that for a healthy pregnancy? That's what I want to know. Next time I get pregnant, I don't want to gain 50lbs more than I should (80 total) like the others. That's where my gaining happens, and it's a booger to get it off afterwards. I still plan to use MFP when/if I get pg.

Uh, no. That 300-500 calories should be added to the amount she needs to MAINTAIN her current weight, average 1500-1700.

If you eat the right portions of the right stuff you will feel satisfied and nourished and won't be as likely to fill up on fast food and junk.