Anyone a raw vegan?

Options
I am just curious if anyone has had any luck getting healthier from raw/vegan diet. I already eat vegan now but would like to add more raw foods into the mix. Plus my vegetable garden is finally producing.

Replies

• Kekecherie
    Options
    I'm becoming a *raw vegan .. so far so good. My transition was somewhat slow. I started in May. So far, I'm down 14lbs. Depending on what you eat, the weight loss can be drastic. The first week or slow was slow but as I read up on nutrition and chose my meals more carefully, I've experienced more drastic loss. Plus you do start feeling more full and eating less as the days go by...

Some tips: - I make a smoothie for the day and that's my snack. either a green smoothie or something more fruity. So I'll sip on it as the day goes by. And lots of water. Probably about 1.5 liters per day.
    In the morning, I have a fruit. I used to do apples a whole lot because it's so convenient but I've since diversify my breakfast.
    And I'll have something before going to bed. I don't go to bed hungry.

The great thing about eating raw is that you can try different things out. See how you like them. And there is a lot of sites with plenty of recipes. Whenever I eat something new or thinking about trying something new, I quickly google the nutrition info.

So basically, I've been choosing food that are low in calorie count but high in nutrition..

Hope this helps. At first, it might be hard. Be good to yourself. Take it as it goes. But then, it quickly becomes second nature. Especially when you start seeing the results.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories? Are you taking a b12 supplement?

I just got used to my protein shakes. I am also used to vinegar on my salads. I have been consuming beans and lentils too. I have always been more of a cold turkey rather than a slow transition girl. :)

14 pounds down is awesome. Keep up the great work.
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lemasney
    lemasney Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am just curious if anyone has had any luck getting healthier from raw/vegan diet. I already eat vegan now but would like to add more raw foods into the mix. Plus my vegetable garden is finally producing.

I'm flexitarian, but I eat as much raw and whole as I can.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    bump
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Nope, wouldn't work for me since I need significant protein to maintain musculature for boxing. But I do eat a lot of raw food in general. Avocado is one of my best friends.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    how long, and whats the process of making your own sprouted beans and lentils?
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options

You can get enough protein eating vegan, and that's how I got healthy. Eating totally raw is hard for me, but I know raw vegan athletes that are muscular and fit and healthy. Check out http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

It's not just for body builders. You can find great ideas on food choices and supplements there. I do always take B12.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I wanted to start sprouting things but they always say to rinse the seeds first with water and bleach. Since I refuse to even clean with bleach I am skipping the sprouts for now.

Actually, I get more protein as a vegan. Quinoa is a complete source of protein that is broken down differently than meat and is absorbed completely. I also eat and obscene amount of chia seeds daily.
  • Kekecherie
    Options
    Yes, there are a lot of sites out there. my faves are: http://www.sweetpotatosoul.com/ , http://www.choosingraw.com/ , http://www.dianastobo.com/ , http://www.rawfoodrecipes.com/ .... Once I reach my goal, I'll probably become a "flexitarian" (as one post said -- never heard that before)...

But what I do is try to diversify my food intake. I now have a few favorite veggies/fruits but my goal when buying is to get about 2 new items each time...

Like I said, once I started doing it right, the weight has just been dropping.
    But take into consideration that calories are calories so some produce will have a lot more calories than you "want" as you work on weight loss now. So I make sure to check everything out. For example, before I buy something new, I'll quickly google from my phone and read up on it.... so I'm doing a lot of calorie counting right now (Don't like it though)

The protein thing is much debated. As for me, I feel like before becoming health-conscious, I really didn't care about what vitamins I was getting. I make an effort to be conscious of that now. It works for me because I am obsessed with Edamane. I snack on them at work on most days. I buy them in a frozen 8 small bag package from BJ's... to me, beans can be a hassle (I'm way too lazy for that.)

and another thing, I do use the microwave.. and broil things when I need to..... Small steps...

That's one more thing, I do buy a lot of frozen items. I'm a law student and so busy. it lasts me longer and makes it easier.

But I do not take any protein shakes or supplements.
    The only "processed" items I use now are salad dressing, Quaker Oatmeal & V8.. I'm suppose to receive my juicer sometime this week so I'll start making fresh tomato juice soon.

As for energy, you will have wayyyy more energy...

On most days, my calorie intake is really low. I'm not hungry and feel quite full. So I don't force it. & I don't feel guilty about it. As long as I'm getting the essential nutrients.

Good luck with your journey.
  • Kekecherie
    Options
    BTW, I should add that I'm working on being very active too.. so my weight loss is food+exercise..