NROLFW for advanced lifters? Where do you start?

Options
Hello everyone :)

I recently bought the book NROLFW and loved it. I am usually with a trainer but she is on vacation right now so I thought this would be a perfect time to try the programs out. So today I started on Workout A, stage 1. However it is obvious that I am not getting what I need out of 2 sets of every exercise so I added the 3rd set and added cable chops to the mix, as well as adding more reps and a set to the prone jackknife workout.

I have been working out for 3 years now (started June 11th 3 yrs ago and incredibly proud of the fact that I am still going to the gym, being a rehabilitated couch potato par excellence :)!)

Anyway, if there is anyone here that has been in my shoes I'd love to hear what you did. Would it be a better idea to just start in the middle somewhere or how have you been doing it?

Replies

• Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    *bump*
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about this as well. I'm doing it with my mum and in-law so I am sticking with the program for them, I'll be leaving soon and want them to continue on. We're doing 2 days a week. When I continue on my own later I'll prob do 3 days a week to catch back up. I've also thought about combining the 2 into one day.... probably not a good idea though, huh?

I've just been upping my weights and doing more reps of the ab stuff. I really go for intensity when I do CF the other 2 days a week.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Increase the weight.

Unless you've been lifting heavy for most of those 3 years, you're not advanced.

But, increasing the weight should make the workout more challenging.

When I started Stronglifts, I didn't feel tired after my first few sessions, but after upping the weight every session within a couple of weeks, it was more than enough to challenge me.

When the weight is low and the workout is easy is the time to perfect your form.
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There are two books that are like old friends; I started using them when they were published 20+ years ago. The books focus on women and strength training when women were just getting into body building. The information is still relevant today. Both books have complete instructions on nutrition and different exercises to do and are currently available on Amazon- complete with photos of every lift!

"New Rules for Weightlifting for Women" is not new - Rachel and Corey have been at it for 30 years, check them out!

"Perfect Parts" and "Flex Appeal" by Rachel McLish, the first Ms Olympia
    "Superflex" by Cory Everson
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I just followed the program, as he states in the book Alwyn set it up a certain way. I did get a little bored in 1, but was fine with 2 and found the program as a whole very challenging. If you're having a difficult time getting what you need out of 2 sets then up your weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    If you had to add sets to get tired, you just aren't lifting heavy enough. If you finish a set and don't feel the slightest bit tired, increase weight for the next set. Also, moving through the motions slowly help increase the challenge without adding weightm
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you are an intermediate to advanced lifter, skip the NROL and go for Wendler's 5/3/1.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way! I increased the weight and decided to be patient. I think you will find that Stage 2 (and the addition of the body weight matrix and intervals) will make up for it.

I got to Stage 2 and was like "OK, nevermind" when I had been telling myself that it was too easy. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've been lifting since i was 20 so i consider myself pretty advanced. when i first did nrol4w 3 years ago, i started towards the end of stage 1 since the first weeks seem to be more for people trying to figure out what weights they need and getting them used to the movements.

i did find stage 2-5 frustrating because many of the moves aren't exactly strictly for strength but involve a lot of balance and cutesy type movements, like serious wtf is a reverse lunge with a forward reach? yeah it's challenging but more metcon challenging and less strength building challenging.

i completed the program the first time, but i tried going back to it recently and just couldnt stomach repeating stages 2 &3 again for stages 4&5