Healthy Cooking Chili Mac

Options
musicmom04
musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
i found this in healthy cooking magazine and made it tonight. it was sooo good and nice and spicy.
chilimac.jpg
Chili Mac

2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp olive oil
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 to 2 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce
2 to 3 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, onion, jalapenos and garlic in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.

2. Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper sauce and seasonings. Drain macaroni; stir into turkey mixture. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until heated through.

3. Sprinkle with the cheese. Remove from heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.

Nutrition facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 396 calories, 12g fat, (4 saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 581mg sodium, 45 carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 28g protein.

Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That sounds really yummy :happy: Do you think it would still be good without the jalapenos and hot pepper sauce? I don't like things too spicy...

~Leash :heart:
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i'm sure it would
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Should be just as yummy if you sub some sweet peppers for the jalepenos. :drinker:
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Sounds good and looks even better (that picture really sells it!) :love:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    bump
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    This looks good!!!! I don't use pasta too much because it racks up the caloires so fast. But even I can live with less than 400 calories for a 1 1/2 cup serving.
  • joanewright
    Options
    bump
  • SlimSasha
    SlimSasha Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    oh i love spicy ...this looks yummmy!!!!
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    So I tried this tonight and I really liked it!!! I chickened out and only used one Jalapeno instead of the 2-3 that it calls for. I could have gotten away with two. I also left out the Garlic because it just doesn't agree with me.

Next time I make it I will use the two Jalapenos and I think about half the onion I used tonight.
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    bump
  • loritas
    Options
    bump
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    this is making me hungry lol....definitely printed this out and plan to do it TONIGHT :bigsmile:
  • saint84
    saint84 Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Printed, Thank you and I'm in love lol
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I shared this recipe w/ my Mom and she made it (I haven't had a chance to make it yet!) and she said you definitely need the hot sauce and jalapeno to give it some kick! She said it was good and she would make it again!
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I shared this recipe w/ my Mom and she made it (I haven't had a chance to make it yet!) and she said you definitely need the hot sauce and jalapeno to give it some kick! She said it was good and she would make it again!

I skipped the jalapeno and hot sauce and put in an extra teaspoon of cayenne pepper....definitely adds a kick to it!! I made it for me and my husband, but then my 11 year old brother came over to spend the night and he loved it. I gave some to my mom to take home and she loved it and then Sunday, my sister was over at my mom's and she tried it too (and loved it). I also brought a serving to work for my friend to try and and I'm sure she'll like it. Definitely going to be making this again very soon! (as you can see, this recipe makes enough to eat on for several days...or maybe just one meal for several people)