Melatonin

Options
Katherine1687
Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
Hi,

My son had ADHD and has trouble sleeping. It has been suggested that he take a melatonin tablet to help him sleep.

As I live in the UK melatonin is quite tricky to get hold of but can be ordered online.

Does anyone know any trustworthy sites that I can get it from? I am really wary of buying something like this from an unknown website.

Thanks

Luv Kat

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    If he is on other prescription meds, maybe try adjusting that first. Either adjusting the dosage or having him take it earlier in the day, or both, may help him.

I wouldn't give my kids Melatonin. I tried it myself and it gave me horrible nightmares. ADD isn't caused by a lack of Melatonin, it is other brain issues. Don't add more drugs, please.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    ...and who suggested this? Talk to his doctor before adding anything. You don't know how it could affect him. Adult supplements are not meant for children!
  • harristim88
    Options
    hmm idk but in the us its so easy to get a hold of you can pick it up at any pharmacy or big retail chain like walmart target etc but personally i have add adhd i have had it for years i take adderall the melatonin for me does not really work that great seems like i have to take way more then the bottle says does not kick in for hours then i all i want to do the next morning is sleep in ha
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Valerian root also works to aid in sleep. But I would check with my doctor before I put him on anything.
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify that it was his doctor that suggested it but because it is not licensed in the UK he was not allowed to prescribe it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Also don't give him any kind of supplement without asking your doctor or pharmacist about possible interactions with his medication.

Edit: never mind, seeing your last comment.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    VItaminshoppe.com

I have the 1,000mg tablets and I take three of those at 10pm, and by 1030pm I can't keep my eyelids open.

And no grogginess in the morning. Straight energy !!!
  • kristalfrissy
    kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try it!!!! Oh my gosh it works wonders!! My son also has ADHD and takes forever to fall asleep. His doctor recommended melatonin and it has been a life changer. He takes it and is falling asleep within 20 minutes!! We just get it OTC at walmart. Does walmart ship internationally? You might check into that.

ETA: my son has several conditons and the melatonin does NOT affect anything else with him. Everybody is different but I won't run out of it. He is 9 and only takes 1 X 5 mg dissolvable tablet. There have been several meds the doc has tried to get me to give him that I have refused but melatonin is natural.
  • krbates84
    krbates84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I take melatonin sometimes when I can't sleep and it really helps. Try checking out walmart.com or gnc.com or thevitaminshoppe.com. I am not sure if they ship internationally...walmart probably does. Good luck!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    My mother had skin melatonin, and it had to be burned off with liquid oxygen. Why would you want to submit your loved ones to it? I would vote to stay far away from it. Why would they even sell it?
  • kristalfrissy
    Options
    My mother had skin melatonin, and it had to be burned off with liquid oxygen. Why would you want to submit your loved ones to it? I would vote to stay far away from it. Why would they even sell it?

hahaha...what a goob
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Ummmm......
  • Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Melanoma ??
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    hahaha...what a goob
    I'm glad that you can find humor in this. I thought this was a place of support.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify that it was his doctor that suggested it but because it is not licensed in the UK he was not allowed to prescribe it.

He suggested a medicine not available where you live? Maybe he should suggest something easy for you to get.
  • kristalfrissy
    Options
    hahaha...what a goob
    I'm glad that you can find humor in this. I thought this was a place of support.

vg4spj.jpg
  • Devyns_mom
    Devyns_mom Posts: 22
    Options
    hahaha...what a goob

melatonin is not a disease. it is a hormone found in the brain that regulates sleep.. you can buy a supplement at the store to help you sleep
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    hahaha...what a goob
    melatonin is not a disease. it is a hormone found in the brain that regulates sleep.. you can buy a supplement at the store to help you sleep
    GET OUT! Seriously?!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Melatonin can affect people differently, I take half the dose my guy does and I am asleep sooner than he is. Start with the lowest dose you can find and work your way up. Give it a week before you adjust the amounts. Make sure the room stays dark even after the sun comes up, unless that is when you want him to get up. It takes 30 to 60 minutes for it to take effect, and I usually get a minimum of 6 hours hard sleep with no groggy feeling. It can also be ordered on Amazon, I would suggest you stick with a familiar "brand name".
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You can also try VITACOST.com

I agree with starting with a low dose. I take 1/4 of a pill and it knocks me out ! I am a big girl too.