Eating back exercise calories

Options
dufner
dufner Posts: 11 Member
I have a lot of weight to lose. My calories per day is right around 1200. I am eating and yet exercising. Yestarday I had a lot of calories left at the end of the day. I had 4, yes 4 pieces of pizza for supper last nite. Should I be eating more even if i am not hungry? Help!

Replies

• ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back the calories you burn. 1200 seems low.

What is your current weight?
    Male or female?
    How much exercise do you get weekly?
  • korinastern
    Options
    I set my activity to sedentary and that puts me at 1200 calories then I measure my real activity with my pedometer and it gives me what I should really be eating. I am at 1300 to 1400 calories per day with my activity and losing 2 lbs a week that way. I eat when I am hungry and often have calories left over but I really try to listen to what my body is telling me. Mostly it tells me to stay away from salt.
  • charliecat39
    Options
    I set my activity to sedentary and that puts me at 1200 calories then I measure my real activity with my pedometer and it gives me what I should really be eating. I am at 1300 to 1400 calories per day with my activity and losing 2 lbs a week that way. I eat when I am hungry and often have calories left over but I really try to listen to what my body is telling me. Mostly it tells me to stay away from salt.

I got myself a pedometer and had decided to do similar to what you said and eat 1310 as a basic level then add on any calories earned. I wore it today and spent a long time on my feet, and it said that I burnt off 249 calories. I suppose I now eat the extra 249 calories to make my intake back up to 1310, is this right? Is this an accurate way of doing things? It seems to make sense to me! Thanks.
  • dufner
    dufner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am female (will be 33 on Monday). Current weight is 230. Calories per day is 1220. I have a sedentary life style, desk job. I wasnt exercising much before but I am trying more now but I dont go to the gym and work out for hours. My diary is open if you want to check it out. When i started 7 weeks ago i was at 247 so I am having success but I want to make sure I do it the right way so it stays off....forever!!!!!!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I asked a dietician the same thing and she couldnt seem to undertstand what I meant lol. Because think of it, if you burned all your cal allowence every day wouldnt that be starvation.
  • KrissyG83
    KrissyG83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat back ALL of your burned calories, especially if you don't move much all day . I use mine as wiggle room. If you are really hungry eat, but dont just eat because you can.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Good grief people. YES you should eat back your exercise calories. Assuming you're using MFP. That is how it is set up. If you're eating 1200, burning 400 exercising, and not eating it back, you're only actually eating 800. NOT ENOUGH. The important part is to measure your exercise calories as accurately as possible. I recommend a heart rate monitor (with a chest strap) for any cardio work.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat at least half of the calories. I see a lot of people with a calorie goal of 1200, exercising and burn like 400 calories, don't eat any back and only eat like 1000 calories of there goal. It's just not enough food.

Take this for example. My BMR is 1800 and I'm mainly at the desk, so my activity level is sedentary and eating 1800 would be my maintenance calories. It wouldn't be right to eat only 1400 calories and then go out for a run and burn another 400 calories and not eat them back. That's a 1000 calorie consumption which really isn't enough for a bloke.

I can understand if people aren't too sure how it works, but the advice some people give just doesn't seem right at all. It might work for you, but might not for others and I think it's best to eat enough food to replenish your energy.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion, and I know it's not popular with a lot of people because they want immediate results for motivation--believe me I get that-- but I think I'd prefer to err on the side of eating too much at first, and scaling back if you're consistently gaining a small bit weight over 3 or 4 weeks. You'd want to keep your workouts pretty consistent to what you normally do.

I realize the goal here is to lose weight, but I think eating just a tad above maintenance to start would give people a better idea of what their maintenance really is when the daily calorie limit is at the bottom of MFP's suggest range (i.e. 1200/day).
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    People this topic has been discussed numerous times, if you need to ask this question just search for it in the forums and you will find multiple pages of it. Enjoy
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose. My calories per day is right around 1200. I am eating and yet exercising. Yestarday I had a lot of calories left at the end of the day. I had 4, yes 4 pieces of pizza for supper last nite. Should I be eating more even if i am not hungry? Help!

What you're doing is working well for you. You shouldn't eat more if you're not hungry. Listen to your body.

The MFP way of "eat this much unless you EXERCISE than add that back" is firstly, confusing as hell to people and secondly, a pain in the *kitten*. Why not just compute your actual TDEE, with your activity/exercise? If you go to the gym twice a week and workout like a fiend, allocate it across the week. Then figure your ONE calorie goal and just use that every day. Of course, cycle things all you want but you don't have to do a math problem every single day guess/track your 'workout' calories and 'eat back' your workout. (I personally would skip the workout.)

This method also is hokey for those of who don't do distinct "workouts" so much as just increase our NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) to a goal level each day.