SODIUM

Options
Hi! I have always had a problem with sodium. My face blows up when I have too much. MFP says I can have 2500mg's a day, but doesn't that seem like a lot?? Thanks!

Replies

• CaraColleen
    CaraColleen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I reduced mine to 2000. I thought 2500 was way too much!
  • vaneguz87
    vaneguz87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I reduced mine to 2000 a day as well. Sometimes I go over it, but what I'm trying to do now is to teach myself to eat <2000mg a day
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think the biggest thing is stay away from processed foods and/or adding salt to anything and you'll be fine!!! On my good days I try and stay between 1000-1200. That's also why I try not to eat out those restaurant meals OVERLOAD ya with the sodium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you stick to whole, unprocessed foods, you shouldn't be anywhere near 2500mg.
  • mfoutch86
    mfoutch86 Posts: 87
    Options
    I think some people are more sensitive to sodium! I know I am, and my mother is as well. If I eat one salty meal, like take out, I am swollen for about 3 days, and sometimes my weight is up close to 5 lbs overnight. It is really frusting to have one meal impact my life that much. I don't like seeing the scale jump 5 lbs even if it is water. We rarely eat out anymore because of it. I drink plenty of water, but to no avail...
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    2300mg is actually the upper limit of what healthy people should consume per day. 1500mg if you have diabetes or hypertension.

However, there is no scientific evidence that firmly implicates sodium as the culprit of any health issues. I think we are told to avoid sodium because it is most often present in fatty/ processed foods. By eliminating one we are eliminating the other. I personally do not track it.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I try to 2000-2500 sodium a day. Lower the better I just seem to love to retain water like It was going out of style.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I try to eat less that 2000 mg of sodium per day too. I had a bunch this weekend without thinking about it and it is finally dying down.
  • lauren28178
    lauren28178 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!!! I truly appreciate it :)