Okay need help with suggested goal weight?

Options
recently someone directed me to this site fat2fit to find out BMR, TDEE, and all. It figured out your ideal goal weight based on age, weight, and key measurements. Okay anyway im 5'6" 40 204lb and based on measurements it said my goal weight should be 181?? Really? I was thinking 150. 5 years ago I weighed 168 and was thin, but 181 seams heavy to me? What do yall think?

Replies

• lauren123sky
    Options
    I'm not really sure because im 5''6, nearly 20 and my ideal weight is supposed to be 120-130lbs
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Let's guess that 150 has 20% body fat, that's 120 lbs of lean mass and 30 lbs of fat.

The same lean mass at your current weight would be 41.2% body fat - is that where it thinks you are ? If it thinks you have a lower % fat it'l come up with a bigger lean mass and hence a higher target weight.

Another way of looking at it would be a BMI of 22 which is 136 lbs.

So the 181 does seem high.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Let's guess that 150 has 20% body fat, that's 120 lbs of lean mass and 30 lbs of fat.

The same lean mass at your current weight would be 41.2% body fat - is that where it thinks you are ? If it thinks you have a lower % fat it'l come up with a bigger lean mass and hence a higher target weight.

Another way of looking at it would be a BMI of 22 which is 136 lbs.

So the 181 does seem high.

Well according to all the calculations I have 143lbs of lean mass at my current weight and 30%fat. Assuming I want 21%fat (which was the lowest healthy range) and I'm 40 (which in Aug I'll be 41 and should use 23%fat) it said 181. I was just wondering if anyone else used or went by fit2fat .
  • hooperkay
    Options
    okay guess not? :/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    fat2fit has several %fat calculators - have you tried them all ? it sounds like you're getting a lower % fat than reality, which gives you more lean mass and hence a higher target weight.

If you have a previous "comfortable" weight to aim at I would stick with that, unless you know you have added muscle or something specific to change it.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Okay anyway im 5'6" 40 204lb and based on measurements it said my goal weight should be 181?? Really? I was thinking 150. 5 years ago I weighed 168 and was thin, but 181 seams heavy to me? What do yall think?

I think 150 would be perfect for you.
  • girltrvlr
    girltrvlr Posts: 12
    Options
    181 seems way high. I'm 5'6" and to have a BMI that is considered healthy (under 26) I can't weigh more than 158lbs. I am considered a small framed person based on my wrist measurement though so maybe if your a medium or large frame that would explain the extra pounds allowed.
  • hooperkay
    Options
    fat2fit has several %fat calculators - have you tried them all ? it sounds like you're getting a lower % fat than reality, which gives you more lean mass and hence a higher target weight.

If you have a previous "comfortable" weight to aim at I would stick with that, unless you know you have added muscle or something specific to change it.

I was thinking of just going with previous weight. I'm new to all this and people were giving me suggestions and now I'm all confused. I did each one and it gave me different amounts each time ( like 20-40lb difference)?? I have stopped losing like I was so I thought I needed to up calories or something. Blahhh. I guess I will just trial and error it. Thanks for the help
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I did a quick check with your details and the healthy range I found for you was between 125 and 155. That made sense to me because I'm 5'5" and my (more detailed) research into my own healthy range was 115-150. You'll always get a range, not one ideal number.

What is healthy for one can be very different for another, even at the same height, age and weight. How much muscle tone you have, for example. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. Body type also comes into play. If you know of a weight where you were comfortable with yourself before, aim for that and see how you feel when you are there. You might want to go lower, but you might be more comfortable higher also.

Keep in mind, the number on the scale does not tell you how healthy you are!