Best HRM???

Options
My dad is getting me a gift ... kind of like a "reward" since I've lost almost 100 pounds and I really want a HRM! I have thought about getting the Fitbit but I just can't make up my mind. I need a good HRM that can tell me how many calories I'm burning. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and LOVE it! I got mine at ****'s Sporting Goods for around $90.

LOL it thought I was swearing...I also wanted to add that I have a fitbit as well. Fitbit tracks how many calories you burned through the day...the HRM is great for when you are doing your workouts. I use mine for Zumba and running.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and LOVE it! I got mine at ****'s Sporting Goods for around $90.

Thanks. Googling it right now! lol
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    Polar FT4! I got it yesterday and have only used it twice but I LOVE IT! I did a mini review on it if you're interested http://chloeelebeir.blogspot.com/2012/06/polar-hrm-ft4-review.html
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I recommend Polar. I have the Polar FT4, basic, not overpriced, and it's fantastic! They also sell more advanced models with more bells and whistles.
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    another recommendation for polar,i have had a polar smart edge,had it for about 10 years,have got an ft80 now.
  • dbrakora
    dbrakora Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a NewBalance N4 that i got at Costco, Target has them too for under $60 and I LOVE it! Can't imagine working out without it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you want the best, go for the higher numbered Polars, such as the Polar FT40 or FT60, they have a lot more features, the best of which is the ability to change the V02Max calc that is just an assumption in the lower numbered Polars and most other HRMs.

Another option you could look at would be the Bodybugg or Body Fit Media, both give you better indication of cals burned throughout the day, not just during cardio exercise like HRMs, both would be more accurate than the fitbit as well. The issue with both of those is that you need subscriptions.
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I like the Polar line. I have an FT40. I'm not sure if hey still make the FT40 but they don't change them much when they update the styles. I find the polar line very easy to use and accurate. It ones with a chest strap to wear for monitoring your heart rate, but once you get used to it you won't even remember it's there.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am getting my MotoActiv on Monday. It is a HRM, mp3 player, gps, pedometer, etc.. So i don't have a review for you.. but I will Tuesday lol..
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I really like my MOTOACTV and I really like my Polar FT60.

The MOTOACTV is awesome because it's fun to play with, I make good use of the GPS and bluetooth and mp3 player.
    The Polar is awesome because it's consistent, it doesn't crash (the MOTOACTV has crashed during runs before, erasing all my data), and it doesn't take a lot of messing with. Oh also it cost less than half of what the MOTOACTV was...

If you're looking for a solid HRM to approximate calories for you and maybe have some training functionality, you can't go wrong with Polar

If you're a real gadget geek and you're good with spending a lot of money on a new toy (lol), the MOTOACTV is cool if frustrating sometimes.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Get a gps watch if you run because a lot of them already have a built in hrm and do multiple functions but if you just want an HRM the Polar series is good. For gps watches I suggest the forerunner series.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Polar- depends on what you want it to do- I just wanted basic HR and time- and that's what mine does...
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a NewBalance N4 that i got at Costco, Target has them too for under $60 and I LOVE it! Can't imagine working out without it.

Seconding this. I really couldn't afford to pay more than $60 for a HRM, so I thought I'd try it out since it had the chest strap (far more accurate than the watch only units) and I love it! It's been so helpful for determining how much I'm really burning because mfp's estimates are usually waaaaay over what I burn.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have a MIO. It does just about everything you can think of and is around $70.
  • Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and it's great! I love the records it keeps too...
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    It depends really, I have a Fitbit which I wear at all times & it automatically syncs up with MFP to adjust my calories etc. I also have a Garmin Forerunner as I do a lot of running, it's a GPS watch with HRM and the HRM is very accurate (you can also use it for other workouts if you put it on indoors mode.

I've heard really good things about the Polar ones though and if you don't need a GPS or anything I'd say get one of those as they're a lot cheaper than the Garmins. I really recommend a Fitbit as well though, it's the best fitness accesory I've ever bought! (And my weight loss rate has really increased since I got it)
  • abbysmom814
    abbysmom814 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 and LOVE it!! It's amazing!
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 with the Chest Strap... I love it... Plus, it's waterproof, so You can swim or bathe with it and it won't hurt it...

: ))
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS on such a GREAT loss! I have the Polar FT4, also. I got mine on bodytronics.com for around $58. This is the cheapest place I have found HRMs. Use the coupon code, "popo," to get 5% off.