Protein Powder! ?? which one to get?

Options
1235»

Replies

• MercGem
    MercGem Posts: 7
    Options
    Chocolate or strawberry flavour Syntha 6. Lovely stuff. :smile:
    There are two different kinds of protein powder, whey and casein. I've tried Syntha 6..not bad, a bit gritty for my liking. However, I came across Elite Fusion 7 (which has both types of protein) through the gym I go to. LOVE IT!!!! I have the creamy vanilla that I do add fruit to for some morning meals, and the chocolate peanut butter (cuz I'm a huge reese's peanut butter cup fan) and it's awesome for the "in between times". I will usually cut the serving in half to help get through. Sometimes I will have one for dinner and add some carbs to help process the protein. Overall, the other posts are right... don't overthink it. If you can, buy a sample or ask for a sample of the product then go from there until you find the one you like.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    I really like the Designer Whey brand. It is all natural and sweetened with Stevia. The Double chocolate flavor one tastes like a malt, or Whoppers candy or something. I mix it with greek yogurt and vanilla extract, really tasty
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    For flavored things, I use Iso Pure creamy vanilly zero carb. For stuff that just needs some extra protein (like soups, sauces, spaghetti sauce, gravy, etc.) I use Whey Factors unflavored whey protein -- it's a good thickener too! Makes marinara sauce a bit light in color, but who cares :drinker:
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    I use Lean 15 chocolate flavor and mix it with cold coffee and put it on ice. It is like an iced mocha and it is awesome.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use Lean 15 chocolate flavor and mix it with cold coffee and put it on ice. It is like an iced mocha and it is awesome.

^^^^ This one. I also use the vanilla with milk. Tastes like a milk shake. :)
  • mangohead100
    Options
    I personally love Genuine Health Protein+. No sugar, dissolves well, high in good quality protein, and tastes great (in my opinion).
    Both chocolate and vanilla are tasty. I wasn't to into the berry flavour.
  • jesn311
    jesn311 Posts: 43
    Options
    TruNutrition Trutein is not only one of the best tasting retail protein powders, but they do not hide behind proprietary labels - they tell you exactly how much of each kind of protein is in a serving (40% Whey; 40% Micellar Casein; 20% Eggs. The CinnaBun tastes just like a cinnamon roll and PB Cup taste like a Reese's PB cup.

For baking, I just buy a 5 lb (75 servings) bulk bag of 100% Milk Protein Isolate from Truenutrition.com for $36.
    Anyone here know if you can heat up your protein powder?

I'm not a fan of cold protein drinks...do I lose any nutritional value if I mix protein powder with hot water?
    The nutritional profile does not change when heated. Only after significant exposure to heat would the structure of amino acids change (denaturing), but that is a whole different story which you do not need to worry about. I bake high-protein brownies with Milk protein isolate.

Just ordered this about a month ago...and, this by far is the best tasting protein powder! PB cup is so delicious, my kids beg me to share some of my shakes with them.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    This is what I take and it is really good:

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Cookies and Cream, 2.07 Pound
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    bump...I've been looking for one that isn't so high in sugar....
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    TruNutrition Trutein is not only one of the best tasting retail protein powders, but they do not hide behind proprietary labels - they tell you exactly how much of each kind of protein is in a serving (40% Whey; 40% Micellar Casein; 20% Eggs. The CinnaBun tastes just like a cinnamon roll and PB Cup taste like a Reese's PB cup.

For baking, I just buy a 5 lb (75 servings) bulk bag of 100% Milk Protein Isolate from Truenutrition.com for $36.
    Anyone here know if you can heat up your protein powder?

I'm not a fan of cold protein drinks...do I lose any nutritional value if I mix protein powder with hot water?
    The nutritional profile does not change when heated. Only after significant exposure to heat would the structure of amino acids change (denaturing), but that is a whole different story which you do not need to worry about. I bake high-protein brownies with Milk protein isolate.

Just ordered this about a month ago...and, this by far is the best tasting protein powder! PB cup is so delicious, my kids beg me to share some of my shakes with them.

Agreed 100% I just received my Trutein samples today for the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup AND Cinnabon... and they are THE BEST I've had, and I've tried several brands. I'm SUPER picky about the taste and quality, and for 120cals, 6g carbs, low sugar and 24g protein, can't go wrong! And it has whey, casein and egg whites... best ever!!!! JUST ordered my 5lb tub 10 mins ago lol
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I suggest any of the ON protein products. M&F did a article on all the different whey proteins and ON had the highest amino acid profile and the lowest cost per serving. You can find it at GNC.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Nature's Best Isopure Low Carb whey protein powder - Dutch Chocolate. Half the price to GNC on Amazon!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jsjlandy
    jsjlandy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have tried Designer Whey before I got serious into exercising. I've read some pretty bad stuff about it. I now use BSN Syntha-6 Vanilla Ice Cream flavor and I love it. It's a little sweet, but not overly and it's almost like a treat after a workout. It's delicious. I've added it into baked goods and oatmeals also.
  • Aaron190
    Aaron190 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ultimate Nutrition Iso Sensation. Its got 31 grams of protein per 33 gram scoop. The 5 pound bucket equals out to about a dollar per serving. It's got the most grams of protein per scoop of any protein powders on the market. You can order it off of bodybuilding.com.
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mangolassi260
    Mangolassi260 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love Trader Joe's Aria vanilla, low glycemic, 50/50 whey-soy. Tastes great, not chalky like some.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    I really like Isofemme chocolate - much better than Jillian michaels Version and more protein (25 vs15)
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options

Interesting chart. The lead and mercury would concern me. An arsenic number under 10 wouldn't worry me. All of those chemicals are also in the foods we eat. It's not really a function of being "processed".