Doctors Pushing C-Sections

Options
12346»

Replies

• vanishingirl77
    Options
    The thing that makes me mad is that she doesn't think she has a choice in the matter. She keeps telling me that they can force her to have a c-section because she's on state health insurance. I think she's just really afraid of labor and so this is her way of trying to avoid the discomfort of labor. The whole thing just makes me really irritated.

it sounds to me like she's fine with having the c-section, and you're obviously pretty judgmental about it. perhaps she is going on about being "forced" because she wants you to shut up and mind your own business?
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    The thing that makes me mad is that she doesn't think she has a choice in the matter. She keeps telling me that they can force her to have a c-section because she's on state health insurance. I think she's just really afraid of labor and so this is her way of trying to avoid the discomfort of labor. The whole thing just makes me really irritated.

it sounds to me like she's fine with having the c-section, and you're obviously pretty judgmental about it. perhaps she is going on about being "forced" because she wants you to shut up and mind your own business?

Oh yes that's exactly why she's been going on and on about how she wishes she didn't have to have a c-section and she's terrified of having one. SHe is naive and unexeperienced and her doctors have pushed her (scared her) into making this decision. AND for that matter I just started this post to vent, she knows my frustrations but I told her that I would be completely supportive of whatever decision she makes. It just makes me angry at her doctors.
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    Sounds to me like the doctor doesn't want the chance of having to come in on July 4th to deliver a baby so he is trying to push her to schedule one early. But I totally agree with the op, I would never opt to have a c-section if I knew there was a chance I could have a vaginal birth. My preference....

THIS! This is exactly what I think! This is her first pregnancy and she has had ZERO complications. The ONLY reason they are telling her she needs a c-section is because they are afraid the baby will be to big for her to push. And that i think is total BS. Baby is healthy and show ing no signs of distress and mom is healthy. No reason why she shouldn't be able to at least attempt a vaginal birth. I am venting here because I can't vent to her because it stresses her out and I am trying to be supportive of her decision but I have to get my frustrations out somewhere.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    my wife is scheduled for a c-section July 2nd, so i won't be logging in. Anyway, our first baby was an emergency c-section. So with this one, they said you could go natural or c-section, so she wanted to go natural. Just a few weeks ago, she went to the doc (same doc who preformed her c-section) said she would suggest another c-section in case you rupture the scar or any thing like that. in fact she said "if i was you i would get a c-section" needless to say my wife is getting the c-section.

I had to have a c-sec with my first child for 2 reasons...1. I was a week over due and my body would not dilate or ephaze at all and 2. my baby's heart rate was doing strange things and they had been monitoring it for hours. Because of her irregular heart beat, they could not give me anything to induce labor therefore, I was taken in for a c-sec. Now I am pregnant with my second and we have been discussing the options with my OBGYN. First off, she asked me how many more children I want. She told me that if I was planning to have a large family she would definitely suggest trying natural as you do not want scar after scar. However, she said if I only planned on 1-2 more then the risks are lower with another c-sec. Ultimately she said the decision is mine and she would support whatever I wanted unless something happened that would not allow a natural delivery. I have not made a final decision yet as I want to see how the pregnancy progresses and do some research myself. I am certainly not opposed to another c-sec though if it is the safest thing for myself and my baby.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK its the opposite they are trying to cut down the number of c/s as they are doing too many, we have had all sorts of
    daft rumours by teenagers getting pregnant to try and get a c/s or even starting to smoke as they had been told it would mean their baby would be small and therefore easier to deliver!

I had an elective c/s with first as she was "locked" breach her bottom dropped into my pelvis and her head was wedged under my ribs and she didn't move from that position from week 30 - My carefully thought out birth plan went out the window as the risk of issues were very high.
    I had no complications was on my feet as soon as the mandatory bedrest was over (24 hours) and was back 3 days later - only delayed leaving earlier by Jaundice.
    With second I chose to have a c/section and I had to fight my case to have it as I was being pushed for VBAC. I knew as only
    the woman carrying the baby can that their was something wrong, two weeks before due date baby was not head down.
    I saw the nurse that ran the VBAC clinic - explained my reasons for wanting it, explained the risks I knew there were of having a second c/s and she felt I had made the right decision and she was happy for me to go the route of c/section.

When I had her the docs were a little surprised when they opened me up, they had a lot of trouble getting baby out as she had gone in at an angle almost trying to engage with my left hip rather than the gap in the middle!
    Doctor told me I'd definalty made the right decision on going for section. Again I was up and about within 24 hours and was asking to go home at the end of that day. I came out the following day when I discharged myself after waiting 3 hours for the doctor to discharge me - It was christmas day - which is the other reason I'd asked to go home the night before!

At the end of the day, regardless of if you think c/sections are for "too posh to push mums" or lazy docs, or there is a high risk of death/injury etc. it should within reason be the woman's choice as it is her body.
    There is no right answer as every woman is different.
    Your friend cannot unless she has been sectioned under some form of mental health act be forced to have a section. She can refuse to sign the consent form for them to do the procedure.
    She needs to do the research her choices and then as someone earlier said - Write a birth plan of ideal - what to do if it goes on too long etc. And then ask for a copy to be placed in her notes and also give a copy of her plans to her midwife and general practise doctor. This way she had come back on them if she has problems.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Oh, and when they're rolling around on the playground, no one gives a rats *kitten* what hole he came out of or whether he was on the boob or the bottle.

I like the way you put things into perspective.
    Just like marraige is much more than the wedding day, parenthood is much much more than how you gave birth or even if you didn't gave birth and adopted instead. Yes it's nice when everthing works out like you planned for the day but the real work and joy come with time.