Mother in Law

Options
Hi, I have been trying very hard to lose the rest of the weight I want to lose. I have managed to lose 15 of my 20 pound goal overall I have lost 100 pounds. My mother in law loves to have us over for dinner which is nice but she knows I am on a diet but it seems she cooks the unhealthiest foods she can find. I don't expect her to catter to me but its hard she does not understand that that is one reason we don't eat with them as often. And today she told me that she was starting a new diet and that she was going to be the center of attention for a while. She told my father in law that he was going to have to get used to healthier food or fix his own. This all started when people started saying how much weight I had lost and how good I looked. I am glad she wants to get healthy it is just annoying how she is going about it. Why is she acting like this?

Replies

• katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a mother and a motherinlaw. I guess she is jealous of you. Not nice to say but it's probably the truth. You know what I'd do. After 20 years of marriage, I learned that the more you like your motherinlaw at least in front of your husband, the more he will love YOU.

It's weird, but it's the truth. It will bring you closer together. So be very sweet in front of him and praise her decision. Your hubby will think you are the best cause every man, whether he admits it or not, loves his mom. kc
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I get that too. Dont be on a diet when you are over here.

Well I tend to eat a salad before I go and minimal at her house. I will not fail. It feels tooo good to loose this weight!
  • kettelson15
    Options
    I have had the same type of problems. My husband had to learn that I meant it and would not eat the "bad" things he cooked. My friend that started dieting with me, who has not done very well, told me yesterday that I was sounding a little obsessive with my eating and exercise. I now realize after 15 years of failures and yo-yo dieting of 20 lbs at a time, that my success, or my failure, is my responsibability. When I eat away from home, I always bring something that I can eat, so if there is nothing else that is on my plan, I will not have to go hungry. I have been surprised at all the people that try to sabbotage me. I have have many people tell me that I am getting too skinny. I am not even close to skinny. I have lost 45 lbs, but I still weigh 143 lbs. When I got married, I weighed 115 lbs. I think people have just gotten used to the fat me and I probably do "look" skinny with that as a comparison. Keep the faith, and keep a good support group like this to help you stay the course. You should be really proud of your accomplishments!!! Your mother-in-law sounds like she is a little jealous of the good attention you have gotten. Sounds like she needs some encouragement now. You may be surprised that if she can have some success, your relationship may find a common bond and really improve. Either way, do what you need to do to take care of yourself, no matter what the "haters" say! Hang tough! Carolyn
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a mother and a motherinlaw. I guess she is jealous of you. Not nice to say but it's probably the truth. You know what I'd do. After 20 years of marriage, I learned that the more you like your motherinlaw at least in front of your husband, the more he will love YOU.

It's weird, but it's the truth. It will bring you closer together. So be very sweet in front of him and praise her decision. Your hubby will think you are the best cause every man, whether he admits it or not, loves his mom. kc
    That's the key!
    And just offer to help her in any way you can. :wink:
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    It seems like your mother in law is jealous. You have done a great job losing weight. I would talk to your hubby & explain you have worked so hard to get healthy & stay that way. Next time bring a tupperware of healthy food to your mom in laws. Explain to her you appreciate all the cooking she has done but certain foods you can't eat.If she truly cares for you she will understand.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am trying to be supportive of her, I am worried about the diet she is doing in my opinion if a fad diet and too expensive but I will be there for her.
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Some times you cant dwell on why people do what they do. Regardless of her reasons for wanting to finally loose the wt you played a part in it.

Maybe you guys can be even closer if you try to show her how you went about it and interduce her to this site. You can even show her some of the healthy foods you love. Even if she went about this the wrong way you can turn it in to a positive.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Some times you cant dwell on why people do what they do. Regardless of her reasons for wanting to finally loose the wt you played a part in it.

Maybe you guys can be even closer if you try to show her how you went about it and interduce her to this site. You can even show her some of the healthy foods you love. Even if she went about this the wrong way you can turn it in to a positive.

Thats true. We went to lunch the other day and she was asking alot of questions about how I stay on track when eating out. I guess it has opened the door for conversation so thats good.