Ridiculous? Question of the day

Options
OK, this may sound stupid but I'm really serious. Do your feet get smaller as you lose weight? I'm asking because both my running shoes and daily commuter Nikes are so loose they're uncomfortable. I wear two pairs of socks now in my running shoes, and just today bought inserts to fill in both of them. I know running shoes are supposed to be larger than you need because your feet swell up as you run, but I'm on the verge of getting another pair, maybe a half size smaller. Have they just stretched out that much in 3 months, or are my feet getting skinnier?

Replies

• sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I think you can lose foot fat.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i have 4 pairs of flats i cant wear anymore... my foot size is prolly an 8, but as i got bigger the size got bigger. in some shoes i was a full 9.
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert in this, but I think that the length of your feet will not get smaller, but the width can change. Or it could be that you had swelling and fluid retention.
  • noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely!
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure but I would think yes. I mean think about the sizes more overweight people wear compared to those who are thinner.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Not ridiculous at all! :D

Yes. Absolutely.

I have tons of shoes, because I was under the impression that "shoes fit no matter how fat you get" - until, I realized, they really don't. Some of my shoes are terribly uncomfortable since I've gained weight, so now I'm hoping they'll all still be comfy enough to wear as I lose weight.
  • jacquig9
    jacquig9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hehe "foot fat" - I guess it's everywhere :-) Thanks for all the replies! I'll try to tough these out as long as I can, since I haven't had them that long and hate to throw them away.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've gone done half a size or so. Yes, your feet will shrink with enough weight loss.
  • judiknyght
    judiknyght Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the first places i lose weight are my fingers and my feet. This could be water or swelling or whatever, but my rings and shoes are definitely looser. I actually tripped and fell on my face this morning going up the stairs to my office because my shoe slid...
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I lost a whole size...
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My feet used to be a sized 10 womens. They're now an 8. *shrugs* They're not as wide anymore, but I don't know how they shrunk in length.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just got into a virtually new pair of shoes I have had for a long time. My feet fit inside now!