Gluten Free

Options
Yesterday I was told I have DH (Dermatitis Herpetiformis). I have been suffering with this unknown, reoccurring rash since February 2009. The cause is gluten. The cure is to become and remain gluten free. I am also lactose sensitive. Today I feel like: I will never be able to eat out again; dinner parties and socials are out of the question; and the worst will be family get-togethers. My in-laws constantly complained about my eating habits because of dairy food intolerance just wait until they find out I cannot eat gluten. Would love to hear from people who are gluten free. Today I have been obsessed with reading labels and scared to eat. I could use some help with this.

Replies

• Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've been dairy/gluten-free for years. My son has multiple food intolerances such as egg even, So we're kinda used to it. If people give you a bad time, it's just because they are adjusting to the idea. If they eventually don't, then don't hang out with them! Since when are people the food police? I even bring food into restaurants for my son, no one has ever said anything. My family is now on the bandwagon and helps make us gluten-free/dairy-free food and it took awhile for me to say over and over again this is a REAL thing,,..
  • Recovering_for_cupcakes
    Options
    Oy, those first weeks after diagnosis can be really disheartening and sad! You're not alone we all go through a sort of "mourning" when we get diagnosed! I have celiac disease and I've been living with it, mostly asymptomatically now for almost 4 years. There are a lot of resources out there, but also feel free to shoot me a message your best resource is someone who as been there. In the meantime, try and chin up- there are so many different things out there that you don't need to feel like your life is over. (This is coming from the person who cried in grocery stores for weeks!)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have coeliacs and cannot have gluten - I'm also dairy egg and soya free and my diary is open so please have a look. It is much easier to be gluten free as most food list what they contain and also look for your local coeliac group as the ones i know also accept DH sufferers. There is also a group on here under gluten free.

Good luck and if you wan to add me as a friend please do.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    DH was how my father was diagnosed as a celiac. He never had any of the digestive symptoms that celiacs typically have, but when he was middle-aged, he developed a rash - which was later diagnosed as DH.

Then he went in for all the endoscopies and biopsies and found out he had celiac disease.

It took some effort to adjust to a gluten-free diet, but he's doing great now. We still have all our traditional dinners and normal foods, everyone has just learned to cook with alternative, wheat-free flours. It involves a lot of trial and error, reading labels and being careful, but your life will be normal again!
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was told I have DH (Dermatitis Herpetiformis). I have been suffering with this unknown, reoccurring rash since February 2009. The cause is gluten. The cure is to become and remain gluten free. I am also lactose sensitive. Today I feel like: I will never be able to eat out again; dinner parties and socials are out of the question; and the worst will be family get-togethers. My in-laws constantly complained about my eating habits because of dairy food intolerance just wait until they find out I cannot eat gluten. Would love to hear from people who are gluten free. Today I have been obsessed with reading labels and scared to eat. I could use some help with this.

That's me too! Same thing. I found out in April of this year. I started following a Paleo diet and I feel better than I have in years. It's really not hard, and when you are tempted to have something with gluten in it just think of that stupid itchy rash, it's not worth it to get that again. That's how I feel anyway. Yes, eating at restaurants can be a challenge. I look at menus online before I go anywhere to make sure there is something I can eat. Luckily a lot of restaurants are starting to have gluten free selections. If nothing else I can usually get a steak or veggie omelette. I just tell them to hold the bread/toast. I am going to Disneyworld for a week soon and am nervous about how eating out every meal with be. I'll report back, feel free to friend me on here. Sometimes I feel like why me. Why can't I have a piece of birthday cake anymore. But, I am finding new things I like (dark chocolate) and getting used to it. And yes, my mom complains when she has to cook for me when I visit, I just tell her to make whatever and I will find something to eat or bring something myself so she doesn't have to go to any trouble.
  • TaoBear
    TaoBear Posts: 10
    Options
    It's not that bad! Take this as an opportunity to find new foods and restaurants! Do you like Sushi? (Just make sure to use Tamari or Wheat-Free-Soy-Sauce). How about Vietnamese? Many of the noodles they use are rice-based. I live in Edmonton, which is the largest city this far north in Canada. (What I'm saying is that it is not a huge city). And yet, many many restaurants are offering gluten free menus, or have gluten free indicators. Some of them (The Bothy!) will even make gluten free versions of their foods if you call about 1/2 hour before you go... that way your food and everyone else's will come out at the same time! Maybe restaurants in your area will do that too. You'll find a number of gluten free things in grocery stores too, but they're often a little pricier than their wheat filled counterparts.

Because Gluten allergies and intolerances are on the rise, there are also SO MANY COOKBOOKS now! Again, this could be a great thing for you. One of the ways I lost weight (I put it all back on because I stopped doing this) was I made all my own food. I stopped buying anything processed. I even made my own bread. You can take this as an opportunity to really take your diet by the horns (to mix metaphors ;) ) And if you don't really want to change much, there are options! Bob's Red Mill offers a really decent gluten free flour mix. If you have a Bulk Barn near you, they also offer a number of gluten free products (cake mix, pancake mix, flours, crackers, cereals... you get the idea).

Maybe you can even cook for the in-laws. You know. Lead by example. Show them how yummy food can be, even when it's not cheesy bread combos. Or when Christmas/birthdays roll around, get them a gluten free cookbook! I have so many now... everything from gluten free baking to gluten free vegan. Just do a search on amazon, there are tonnes of books (include dairy free, those books exist too!). Oh, and a magazine called Living Without. It has GREAT recipes that are gluten AND dairy free, it focuses on people with eating allergies and sensitivities. I don't buy it often enough.

Good Luck! One more time, take this as an opportunity! You're on MFP to lose weight, and get healthier... now it's not a choice, it's a must!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Great news.... once you are under control with the gluten intolerance, the dairy issues will probably resolve. Don't count yourself out so far.

My kids have had celiac disease for over 10 years. The advances in products available are AMAZING to what they were 10 years ago. My kids never modify or feel out of things in school functions or with friends. It's one of those things - everyone knows they have it, and almost always someone does something to help accommodate you in some way, people are really super with it. The awareness of gluten intolerance has become so out there, life is SO much easier than the strange looks and crossed eyes we used to get.

Some suggestions in general......... go fresh, if you can get fresh fruit, veggies, salad, etc, so that way...... it won't seem out of the norm. I don't eat cheese that seems to be the biggest things restaurants struggle with. Make sure you order it specifically saying - No wheat, so the chef making the meal knows to not add anything odd that isn't viewed on the menu.

Snacks - my kids love the variety of marshmallows that are out now, Chex cereals are really gluten free proactive. We have an Ipod Ap called Is it Gluten Free - that most major brands can be checked right there on the spot.

Really, if you go at it with the best attitude of what you CAN have as opposed to what you Can't - life is so much better.

Best of Luck.
  • nof60
    nof60 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    aross362 wrote: »

Going through the ssme thing. And yes it feels like mourning. But what feels worse is the god dam rash. Bright side is i havr been suffering with almost debilitating pain in heels and achilles for 18 monyhs. After dh forced me to go gf pain is gone. Read in a couple spots that one side symptom of celiac and dh is rheumatoid like pain in knees and or ankles and or heels. Silver lining.
  • SlytherPuff4Life
    SlytherPuff4Life Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lots of restaurants are starting to have gluten free options. Look on the restaurants websites to check out their menu options before you go!
  • justinejacksonm
    justinejacksonm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have SO MANY thoughts on response to your post. First off, I'm sorry you're going through this but welcome to the world of GF!!!! I won't bore you with my story but it started suddenly at the holidays in 2015. I thought maybe I had an ulcer. Turns out I tested positive for gluten intolerance. I didn't believe it, but have suffered with eczema off and on at varying degrees of severity since early childhood.

Like you, I had no idea and was devastated thinking like the entire chip aisle was off limits!

Good news is if you aren't a Celiac and your intolerance is like mine you can actually cheat once in a while and still be OK!!! You will know it. If I've had gluten I'll definitely flare up and have delayed digestive issues for about a week.

You don't have to write any of those things off. The great thing about having to go GF is that is a better time than ever as ppl become more aware and within months of my going GF General Mills actually put out their GF on certain cereals.

It's a bummer at times, like there's always going to be the things you can't it shouldn't have that you *really* want but sometimes you luck out and you learn to make do. Me? I really miss my Einstein Brothers bagels and the big greasy flappy pizza from the local take out my bf orders vs my tiny, frighteningly perfect round crunchy pizza that is half the size but twice the price.

There are so many alternatives now and plenty of restaurants offer GF. Red Robin and Ruby Tuesday both have awesome GF burger buns. Olive Garden has GF pasta. Chik Fil A has a bfast sandwich you can order, it's grilled chicken and comes on a GF bun. To me, that's been the most frustrating thing- grab and go fast food bfast from places like Wawa or something, bfast sandwiches and wraps are like the only hot option on the go in the morning and if my bf and I are hitting the road to go somewhere we end to arguing cause I am a PIA about where to stop. I just buy stuff to premake my own to heat up and take along.

If you have friends and neighbors like mine you will quickly learn how thoughtful and accommodating people can be and will often consider you when hosting, by preparing a GF dish or something you can eat, too. So many others are into this now even by choice (like what the heck is wrong with you voluntarily giving up all these great things!?) you will find something you can eat.

It's really not as bad as you think. Yes be aware of the "hidden gluten" but there's plenty of stuff that isn't listed as "GF" that actually is. It's a huge liability and to be able to say that, your company has to follow certain strict protocol and it's way easier to just not open that can of worms.

Also note- you're going to pay an insane amount of money for stuff because it DOESN'T have an ingredient others, do. You're going to pay $6 for 5 slices of stiff bread (5... What to do with that odd extra slice??) or $4 for crackers, $16 for an 8" pizza, $3 for a box of pasta when your S.O is paying 50 cents for theirs.

You're also going to encounter plenty of companies trying to market crap as GF even if *it's already automatically GF*!!!!! like eggs or rice, etc.

Learn to bake, there's so many great recipes! We do gf pies for me at holidays. I did a lovely batch of scones. King Arthur flour blend is great.

Our BJs now carries Freschetta 2-pack GF frozen pizzas and THEY'RE AMAZING! Closest to the real thing, for me, that I've had. It's really good the next day. And they're only $16 for two vs. $12 for one at the regular food store.

Let's be friends cause I'd love to walk you down the GF road 😁

• guitargirl55
    guitargirl55 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It looks like the original post is from a while ago – I would love to know where you are now @aross362 !

This happened to me in 2016!!

At age 24 I went in to the doctor with the most itchy rash I had ever felt in my life, and walked out unable to eat gluten – what? I had always been allergy free and completely healthy so I was shocked. I was honestly so depressed. It is much better now though! Are you on Dapsone? I was able to get off of it with diet.

What the doctors did not tell me is that DH is a symptom of Celiac disease. If you have DH, it means your body is attacking its skin when you eat gluten, AND it is attacking itself in other places – even if you cannot see them. I had numbness in my hands and feet that would come and go. I thought it was a pinched nerve. It took me ages to figure out that it was related to Celiac disease. I notice it when I accidentally eat trace amounts of gluten. Also -even though I had absolutely no digestive symptoms before, eating gluten now (years later) gives me such bad stomach cramps and pain that I actually throw up.

Eating gluten free is NOT that bad. I still eat out, and by shopping at the right places, I am able to eat pretty much everything that I used to (just the gluten free version).

I HIGHLY recommend “Find Me Gluten Free” app. It shows your restaurants that have good gluten free options in your area and lets you search for different food types. It works all over! I travel occasionally, and I have used it all over the U.S. as well as in Germany, Spain, and the UK. It is great for finding options other than wings, nachos, salad, and bun-less burgers to eat!

Feel free to friend me! I would love to compare GF notes.

Actually, I would love to compare notes with all of you! Let’s get a good GF conversation going!