My kitten thinks my face is a nipple.

Options
megmay2591
megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
My almost 8 week old kitten thinks my face is a nipple, or that it has one somewhere on it. It's sad and cute. He sits on my lap, meows and then tries to search my face. He'll climb on my shoulders and move my hair, as he purrs loudly and nuzzles against me.

I had to share this story because I think it's hilarious and adorable.

IMG_20120603_110344.jpg

Replies

• kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    OMG that is the cutest thing ever :-)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Just don't offer him your real nipple ;-)
  • megmay2591
    Options
    Just don't offer him your real nipple ;-)

Lol! Not gonna happen, I'm not getting my nipple ripped off by a kitten.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    :cry: I think it's sad.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    My cat does the same thing to my armpit. Totally weird. She only does it to females. She will nuzzle herself under my arm and kind of suck on my shirt. She just turned 1 and has been doing this since I got her. I can't get her to stop lol
  • megmay2591
    Options
    :cry: I think it's sad.

He probably misses his mama, but I just pet him sweetly when he does it so he doesn't get too sad.
  • RaqibMarvelous
    Options
    389268_265672533525782_1512587156_n.jpg

Here's my kitty! She just turned 9 months old 3 days ago.

In the middle is when she was 3 months old, and they told me she had no hope of survival. Several vets told me to put her to sleep. But I never gave up on her, and now she's the healthiest little kitty ever.

Edit: The full picture won't load for some reason, so here's a direct link

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/389268_265672533525782_1512587156_n.jpg
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Aww now I miss my cat. Some cats are nuzzlers, they'll preen against your face even in adulthood. So sweet!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    that is very common in cats who are orphaned or weaned too early
    they can also do it out of stress, boredom, or relaxation

i have a cat who is almost 4 and sometimes suckles on my finger tips

it's not a problem unless it becomes compulsive

P.S. you're kitten is sooo adorable!
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    <---- This kitten did pretty much the same. He used to lick my ear lobes which really hurt, then he switched to gently nibbling them or just purring on them.

3 years on, he's still doing it! But only at night before bed or in the morning when he's sleepy. He also likes to wash me.

Your kitty is so lovely. I want it. :heart:
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    PS what did you name your kitten?
  • POKlink
    POKlink Posts: 19
    Options
    We had a barn cat have three kittens and then she died about a week later. I took the kittens in and bottle fed them and somehow they all three survived. They are now 2 years old and the male out of the three will still suckle on shirts and blankets. Once he gets the idea in his head he is pretty persistent. Usually ends up with me having a giant kitty slobber spot on my shirt. Can get a little annoying sometimes. One of the females of the bunch is a licker as well.
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    Your kitten is so cute! Do you bottle feed him/her?
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My cat is 8 and still tries to suck on my shirt or a blanket that I'm laying on! She will purr and knead the blanket or me and often has slobbered on my arm. She has only ever done this with me. It was kind of cute when she was a kitten, but I find it gross now. I love her anyway (she is the kitty in a box in my profile picture!).
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Mine loves to jump on me right before bedtime then proceed to lick my face...usually my nose. I would find it adorable if his tongue werent also his toilet paper. But just a few days ago (I;m slow when it comes to my cat) I realized he has me trained. If I stop petting him, he starts licking my face...weirdo.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    389268_265672533525782_1512587156_n.jpg

Here's my kitty! She just turned 9 months old 3 days ago.

In the middle is when she was 3 months old, and they told me she had no hope of survival. Several vets told me to put her to sleep. But I never gave up on her, and now she's the healthiest little kitty ever.

Edit: The full picture won't load for some reason, so here's a direct link

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/389268_265672533525782_1512587156_n.jpg

What a cutie!! Awesome job not giving up on her!
  • megmay2591
    Options
    My kitten's name is Leif and I'm not bottle feeding him.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Does he ever actually bite?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, kittens do that when they have been separated from the mama cat too soon. Hopefully, he will outgrow this behavior, but sometimes they don't.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Usually happens when people take kittens from their mommas too early..makes me sad.