Tips for handling a night out?!

Options
I've got a friend's birthday this saturday night, and after a week of being REALLY good... i'm worried it'll end in disaster on saturday night!

Does anyone have any good advice/tips for a night out pubbing/clubbing without screwing up your week of hard work?

(PS - i'm not one of those people who can be tee total on a night out!)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have fun! One night won't undo all your hard work, but at the same time, I'm sure you don't want to go completely overboard, which is why you posted, right? :tongue:

Are you worried about food or just drinks? Or both? If it's food, just try to make good choices, or don't eat the entire portion, since restaurant servings are usually huge anyway. For drinks, you could go for light beer or maybe vodka drinks - seems like I've read that vodka is one of the lower calorie hard liquors. Either way, try drinking a glass of water in between drinks.

Other than that, have a great time with your friends, and get back on track on Sunday. :drinker:
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I build those things into my week. I make sure I'm extra strict about food and work outs in the week previous, I usually will do an extra long work out or run the morning of, and I eat very very low carbs in the morning if I'm going out that night. For example, I went out recently and had a protein shake before I went, a giant chicken salad after, and that was it. With a 6 mile run, it gave me about 2000 calories to work with.

I only drink things I know calories in (light beers, wine, whiskey & ginger ale mainly) and I just try to watch my food while out. I tend to "spend" my calories on drinks when I'm out.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love vodka sodas (as in club soda or selzer water) with extra lime. The only cals are from the vodka, and vodka does have less cals than other alcohol (typically, the clear alcohols are less cals).

For food, I do try to eat very light during the day on those days. But before I go out, I'll eat something with a little more substance (including some carbs and protein) if I'm planning on having more than one or two drinks. Maybe a turkey burger on a thin high-fiber bun. Or chicken sausage with veggies and a small serving of whole wheat pasta. Or a sandwich or wrap if I don't want to cook.

I'll try to get a little extra exercise in as well, so that I have extra calories available for my drinks and "meal of substance."

I am on a pool league, and we play in bars every Thursday night which is the night before I weigh in. I always have a few vodka sodas, and I always eat similarly as I described above. Everyone is different but it's been working out well for me :)
  • katysmith77
    katysmith77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! some really good tips to try out! I guess I need to make sure I 'save up' as many calories as possible in the day and stick to wise drinks choices. oh yeah, and steer well clear of the kebab shop at the end of the night :)
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    It's simple, do what I do... Drink some low cal vodka & diet cokes and dance all those calories off! :)
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    If you're going out to dinner you can play it one of two ways
    1. pre-eat. Have a huge salad (all veggies) to fill yourself up before you go and then just order something small like an appetizer (ask if they have a kids meal! I often order the smaller versions of things off of the kids or seniors meals. Or split an entree with somebody else at the table, many restaurants will bring you 2 plates to split it onto).
    2. go light that day. Eat smaller meals all day so you've got a little more wiggle room for a big dinner.

Either way, MAKE A PLAN and STICK TO IT. Check out the menu online before you go, estimate the calories/fat of 2-3 options and then, when you get there, pick one!