How ironic

Options
2»

Replies

• Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that you need a hand out to buy milk but you still can spend cash on smoking - sorry maybe its a different take on life!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that you need a hand out to buy milk but you still can spend cash on smoking - sorry maybe its a different take on life!

No, it just isn't actually irony. Something can be bothersome without being ironic.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    people who have nothing - no house, no insurance, struggling to "get by" and tell me so, kids are wearing ratty clothes with holes in them, etc - but have the best cell phone, a nicer purse than most women have, tons of expensive jewelry, nice manicure, etc. why not get the essentials first?

Because in today's world, people don't have the right priorities. Its sad when people who are on welfare get paid more then someone who works, and yet they always complain its not enough.

Assuming your in the US, how much money does welfare give out over there? I have heard this a few times on the boards, and being from Canada, welfare here would not even be near minimum wage, in Ontario, its around $500 a month I think, so I do not understand why your benefit payments are more money than working.....

Edited to add: I agree with the first statement here though, that is nuts that you would have a top of the line cell phone and crap if your kids are running around in rags, that is terrible......
  • rml_16
    Options
    people who have nothing - no house, no insurance, struggling to "get by" and tell me so, kids are wearing ratty clothes with holes in them, etc - but have the best cell phone, a nicer purse than most women have, tons of expensive jewelry, nice manicure, etc. why not get the essentials first?

Because in today's world, people don't have the right priorities. Its sad when people who are on welfare get paid more then someone who works, and yet they always complain its not enough.

Assuming your in the US, how much money does welfare give out over there? I have heard this a few times on the boards, and being from Canada, welfare here would not even be near minimum wage, in Ontario, its around $500 a month I think, so I do not understand why your benefit payments are more money than working.....

It depends on the state. But "welfare" here is more than a check. It's a variety of benefits, from health care to child care to housing, food, cash assistance and many other things. You can even get a free cell phone now. Not a house phone for emergencies, but a cell phone. I even get offers in the mail telling me I might qualify for it and I definitely don't need that. I'd like it free, though. :-)

There are people in this country who make a living avoiding work and "working the system." Some of these people don't actually need assistance, but they fake documents and commit fraud just to get it.This, of course, is not EVERYONE on assistance. Many truly need it.

What gets me is that people whine and cry about cutting the entitlements, but if they weeded out the fraud the government would have a surplus for those who genuinely need it.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Don't get sucked in. Some *kitten* started a chain letter in America and it's gone viral. People think that people on welfare are living it up. I use to work for the welfare office and let me tell you that cash benefits are not that great and people still do have to work to even get cash benefits. At least in the state I worked in, if you received cash benefits, you had to work at one of the jobs they they placed you in (basically city work or the library etc) or you had to check in to job services every day and show them you were looking for work. You can't get cash benefits forever. When I was working there, the max you could get cash assistance was 5 years across the board. So if you got 3 years in PA, you only were able to be on it 2 more years somewhere else. And there are maximums that you can get. It's not like they are getting thousands per month.

We all know someone who knows someone who saw someone buy lobster, steak, and all this other expensive stuff with food stamps, then buy alcohol and cigarettes with their own money, only to drive away in an Escalade. *rolls eyes*

Even if people didn't smoke, their income would still qualify them for progams such a WIC and food stamps. They don't say oh...you make $1000 a month, but we will deduct $200 because of your smoking habit and give you more money. No...they see you are only making $1000 a month. Just because you picked up a terrible addicting habit, doesn't mean your children have to suffer. ....

Edited to take out all of the quotes.

Also, the cell phone program. They get those cell phones from charity drops you see at grocery stores or get them from the websites that buy old cell phones. And the plans are restricted. It's not like they say hey, here is a free iPhone with unlimited everything.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

It depends on the state. But "welfare" here is more than a check. It's a variety of benefits, from health care to child care to housing, food, cash assistance and many other things. You can even get a free cell phone now. Not a house phone for emergencies, but a cell phone. I even get offers in the mail telling me I might qualify for it and I definitely don't need that. I'd like it free, though. :-)

There are people in this country who make a living avoiding work and "working the system." Some of these people don't actually need assistance, but they fake documents and commit fraud just to get it.This, of course, is not EVERYONE on assistance. Many truly need it.

What gets me is that people whine and cry about cutting the entitlements, but if they weeded out the fraud the government would have a surplus for those who genuinely need it.

Um, interesting....I wonder why one would need child care if they do not work.......I could see health care and housing help though....things are just so different over here, I have seen other things that about your food stamp programs and such too, we do not have any of that over here to my knowledge.....not that I have ever seen anyway, and I work retail......
  • rml_16
    Options
    MissTattoo, work in a grocery store in a poor neighborhood sometime and you'll see what really goes on. Two years as a cashier and I was cashing welfare checks for people wearing brand new designer clothes and talking on cell phones back when cell phones were not the norm and most working people couldn't afford them.

It was a very small town. What was going on -- and it was rampant -- was that male drug dealers were making tons of cash selling drugs and the women they were knocking up were going on welfare. So the men were supporting the women with the drug-dealing income and the women were also getting money, housing, all of that from the state. They were definitely living better than many who were actually working.

And as I said in my previous post, this is not everyone on assistance. Some people are in a very different situation. But to say that kind of thing is a myth is burying your head in the sand. I don't "know someone who knows someone who saw something." I witnessed it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Also, the cell phone program. They get those cell phones from charity drops you see at grocery stores or get them from the websites that buy old cell phones. And the plans are restricted. It's not like they say hey, here is a free iPhone with unlimited everything.

I have never asked anyone to pay for my cell phone and until less than a year ago, I had a basic phone with basic service, not even texting.

A free cell phone is a free cell phone. And a cell phone is a luxury.
  • rml_16
    Options

Um, interesting....I wonder why one would need child care if they do not work.......I could see health care and housing help though....things are just so different over here, I have seen other things that about your food stamp programs and such too, we do not have any of that over here to my knowledge.....not that I have ever seen anyway, and I work retail......

I work for the state agency in Florida that oversees subsidized child care. If a family is on cash assistance, their children get priority child care assistance over the working poor who are not receiving cash assistance. The idea is to free up time for those parents to look for jobs.
  • MissTattoo
    Options

You can't get child care assistance if you are not working. They verify employment and will call your employer randomly to see if you are working.

And if you don't have a job, they will only pay for a few hours of care if you are going on interviews or handing in applications.
  • rml_16
    Options

You can't get child care assistance if you are not working. They verify employment and will call your employer randomly to see if you are working.

And if you don't have a job, they will only pay for a few hours of care if you are going on interviews or handing in applications.

Not in Florida. I work for the agency that oversees the subsidized child care. Children of families on TANF have priority over working families for child care assistance. I can quote the stature for you if you'd like. It's sitting on my desk right now.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    MissTattoo, work in a grocery store in a poor neighborhood sometime and you'll see what really goes on. Two years as a cashier and I was cashing welfare checks for people wearing brand new designer clothes and talking on cell phones back when cell phones were not the norm and most working people couldn't afford them.

It was a very small town. What was going on -- and it was rampant -- was that male drug dealers were making tons of cash selling drugs and the women they were knocking up were going on welfare. So the men were supporting the women with the drug-dealing income and the women were also getting money, housing, all of that from the state. They were definitely living better than many who were actually working.

And as I said in my previous post, this is not everyone on assistance. Some people are in a very different situation. But to say that kind of thing is a myth is burying your head in the sand. I don't "know someone who knows someone who saw something." I witnessed it.

Your entire post sounds like an email chain. You do know there are stores out there that sell designer stuff for less. Ross, A.J. Wright, Marshalls, T.J. Max, thrift stores (I found a real Vera Bradley tote bag for $5 at the Salvation Army) etc. And nowadays, cell phones have replaced landline phones for the most part. Are you saying that people don't deserve to have the luxury of having a phone in case something happens? Car breaks down on the dark highway or you have a job where you don't have a direct line to your desk and there is an emergency, or you need to call the police quickly?
  • MissTattoo
    Options

Not in Florida. I work for the agency that oversees the subsidized child care. Children of families on TANF have priority over working families for child care assistance. I can quote the stature for you if you'd like. It's sitting on my desk right now.

Did you not read where I said every state is different?
  • rml_16
    Options

Your entire post sounds like an email chain. You do know there are stores out there that sell designer stuff for less. Ross, A.J. Wright, Marshalls, T.J. Max, thrift stores (I found a real Vera Bradley tote bag for $5 at the Salvation Army) etc. And nowadays, cell phones have replaced landline phones for the most part. Are you saying that people don't deserve to have the luxury of having a phone in case something happens? Car breaks down on the dark highway or you have a job where you don't have a direct line to your desk and there is an emergency, or you need to call the police quickly?

We didn't have those stores in our town then and I'm not even sure they have them there now. And they didn't have those stores within 300 miles of where I lived at the time. It isn't an e-mail chain. It was my personal, first-hand experience. But you can doubt it if you like.
  • rml_16
    Options

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Where? And it's a FEDERAL LAW.
  • MissTattoo
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's federal law to choose people on assistance first? In WV and I'm sure PA, they process everything in the order that it's received. We didn't have a these people are already on food stamps so they get priority over this family who isn't piles.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    tCp90.gif:laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options

It's federal law to choose people on assistance first? In WV and I'm sure PA, they process everything in the order that it's received. We didn't have a these people are already on food stamps so they get priority over this family who isn't piles.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

You work in the public assistance side. I work in the subsidized child care side. This is my job. Part of the funding comes from the federal government, and the feds require prioritizing childcare based on at-risk for abuse, then TANF recipients and then everyone else comes after that. I can quote the law if you'd like, but I don't feel like doing all that typing.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You do know there are stores out there that sell designer stuff for less. Ross, A.J. Wright, Marshalls, T.J. Max, thrift stores (I found a real Vera Bradley tote bag for $5 at the Salvation Army) etc. And nowadays, cell phones have replaced landline phones for the most part. Are you saying that people don't deserve to have the luxury of having a phone in case something happens? Car breaks down on the dark highway or you have a job where you don't have a direct line to your desk and there is an emergency, or you need to call the police quickly?

I have to agree with this entire post. I doubt the majority of people on welfare wearing designer clothes got them at Nordstrom's.

Regarding smoking; it's an addiction. Maybe the lady wearing a t-shirt fighting cancer entered the race to help people with cancer. I've seen many runners smoke. I know many doctors and nurses who also smoke. I try not to judge smokers, although I cannot deny thinking those who smoke while pregnant put themselves before their children.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    You do know there are stores out there that sell designer stuff for less. Ross, A.J. Wright, Marshalls, T.J. Max, thrift stores (I found a real Vera Bradley tote bag for $5 at the Salvation Army) etc. And nowadays, cell phones have replaced landline phones for the most part. Are you saying that people don't deserve to have the luxury of having a phone in case something happens? Car breaks down on the dark highway or you have a job where you don't have a direct line to your desk and there is an emergency, or you need to call the police quickly?

I have to agree with this entire post. I doubt the majority of people on welfare wearing designer clothes got them at Nordstrom's.

Regarding smoking; it's an addiction. Maybe the lady wearing a t-shirt fighting cancer entered the race to help people with cancer. I've seen many runners smoke. I know many doctors and nurses who also smoke. I try not to judge smokers, although I cannot deny thinking those who smoke while pregnant put themselves before their children.

it would be nice to think the best of people and assume the best, i agree.