A little help please? About calories...

Options
A ton of people have asked this question and now I'm going to too...How many calories do you think I should consume a day?

MFP has me set at just a little over 1300. I weigh 159.2 and am 5'4. I run at least 3 times a week and try to stay decently active since I'm on summer break now. My TDEE is 2371 and BMR is 1529. I'd love to hear what others think. I know this has been asked a ton of times, but I thought I'd ask.

Replies

• sdavis0224
    sdavis0224 Posts: 23
    Options
    I read some where that if you want to lose weight a little quicker and can handle eating less calories... you could try eating 200-400 calories less than you should a day. I hope that helps I haven't tried it just yet, I am still trying to get myself use to the set amount I need to eat daily.:happy:

Best of luck
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Bluntly put, If you know its been a thousand times over, WHY are you asking it again? Use your mind. The information is before you.

I've used the guidelines through MFP and have lost 50 pounds. Not hard to figure out
  • ocukor1
    ocukor1 Posts: 66
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight, or just maintain it? Ok based on your ticker I'd guess you are trying to lose... Next question is how fast? 1300 calories will make you lose fast if you can maintain it. Your daily recommended intake if you were at rest the whole day would probably be around 1600-1800 it depends on your metabolism.
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input BigDaddy....if it annoys you, why did you come in here? I was asking for help from someone who didn't mind. Honestly, I'm having trouble with my weight loss and wanted some input.

I'm trying to lose weight.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    You have a wide range you could eat within and lose weight so there is no magic number. What is your goal weight? Is the 1300 per day based on a 2lb per week loss?

One way to do it is TDEE - 10-20%. For you that would be 1890 to 2133. This would include your exercise calories. If you eat at the low end of this, you are at about a 500 cal daily deficit so should expect to lose about 1lb per week.

Try entering a 1 lb per week loss into MFP. If you do that and eat you exercise calories, the number should be about the same.

If you want to try to lose faster, do what MFP is telling you to do now. Personally I think 1 lb per week is a more reasonable and sustainable goal, but it partly depends on how much you need to lose.

Hope that helps.
  • una48
    una48 Posts: 43
    Options
    Dont think you should go less than 1600. Its better to lose it slowly, a pound a week at the most. Have you tried changing your weekly weight loss goals?
  • sluedu09
    Options
    Thank you jsl_mfp. I knew someone had put information about percentages. I tried searching the forums, but there was a ton of info to sift through. I have my profile set at losing 1 pound a week and a sendentary lifestyle. I don't move around as much since I'm off work right now, except when I go for a workout. And I eat the calories back.
  • kesslertg
    kesslertg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    1300 calories seems about right for losing weight. Since you are active you will lose at a better pace and if you have an off day it won't throw you too far off track. Stick with the 1300 for awhile and see how it goes.

My daily calories are 1740 but I'm a 5'10" male and I'm very active. So I'm losing at a good pace. I'm within 10 lbs of goal. Once I get to goal I will likely roll up to 2000 or 2100 calories per day.

Hope this helps. Tom
  • sluedu09
    Options
    Thanks. I've been eating around 1300 and I seem to be stalling out a little. I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    If you're stalling out and want to change something, I would bump it up rather than down. Remember pretty much every number here including calories taken in and burned is an estimate so sometimes you have to tweak it a bit. I know everyone is different but I am 5'4" and went from 135 to 115 on around 1600 per day at the least to (now) 1900 per day and am still losing .25-.5 lb per week. You might try eating your BMR for awhile and see if that helps. Sometimes there is an initial gain but it will even out -- someone eating at their BMR is not going to gain weight and should lose it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Don't eat less than your BMR. That's how much your body needs in order to function properly.
  • sluedu09
    Options
    Do you shoot for a certain amount of fat to eat a day?
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input BigDaddy....if it annoys you, why did you come in here? I was asking for help from someone who didn't mind. Honestly, I'm having trouble with my weight loss and wanted some input.

I'm trying to lose weight.

I am helping, just bluntly. Here's a thought...open your diary and ask for help. If you have your BMR and set your settings for 1-2 pounds per week, which is THE HEALTHIEST way to lose, and eat 95-100% of that and not losing, then you are eating wrong. But everything is pure speculation because you dont give enough information. I have posted plenty in order to help....and there is a TON of information, as well as the guided information through MFP. I believe you may be over thinking what you are doing.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I would use the 1300 as your very least amount, that is how I view my MFP setting. I exercise to increase my daily budget of calories and enjoy eating them, But I don't sweat it if I I don't consume all of them, I know my caloire dificit is set at 800, so if it increases to 1000, I am comfortable with that. I am losing an average of 2pounds/week which is the speed I am looking for right now. ( I know it will slow as I get closer to my goal)

Everyone seems to have there own formula, you will work out one that works for you. Look for the good advice, ignore the sarcasm and bitter posters, they just aren't eating enough, it's making them cranky.

Friend me if you want support.
    Shel
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I am 5' 4" 193. I eat 1100 *try to* and I'm losing just fine.. Honestly there are days I eat all my exercise cal's back and some days, like today, where I have a hard time netting close to that.. Get as close to 1300 or 1600 as you can comfortably.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    Do you shoot for a certain amount of fat to eat a day?

No. A pretty standard macro setting is 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat. My fat is set at 30% but I almost always go over on it because I am a nut-eating fool. I don't really worry about going under or over on it. I should mention I don't eat meat so all my fat is from nuts, avocado and oils.
  • damoonz63
    damoonz63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    150g cho
    72g pro
    32g fat
    1176 k/cal/d
    thats with no ex.

at a burn rate of 120k/cal/mile you could add 360 k/cals on your run days...i cant look back right now, but i thought you indicated you ran 3 miles on your run days. reguardless, 120k/cal/mile and thats being conservative. i'd add most of those calories as cho, but 10g pro each day wouldn't hurt. remember thats a conservative burn rate, if you go above that slightly (as i imagine your fat k/cals may raise a little) don't sweat it. good luck
  • sluedu09
    Options
    Yep, right now I'm running 3 miles or more most of the time. I use Runner's World's formula of weight x.63 x number of miles ran to get my calories burned.

Here's what a typical day looks like:

Breakfast:
    Chobani Greek Yogurt 0% fat
    Banana

Lunch:
    Sandwich made with turkey, provolone cheese, and Publix reduced calorie bread with a little mayo.
    100 Calorie popcorn
    apple
    string cheese

Dinner:
    Baked Chicken Breast
    Sauteed veggies

I mix other stuff in there too like maybe a fiber one bar, a salad, etc.

The last few days have been awful because I was on vacation for my 1st wedding anniversary.
  • ocukor1
    ocukor1 Posts: 66
    Options
    Which chobani yogurt? Some of them have a ton of sugar. You shouldn't be worrying about fat, worry about sugar and bad carbs instead. Bad carbs = everything on high glycemic index. Lose the cheese, lose the popcorns, popcorns are exploded carbs that digest very quickly and do not have any nutritional value. Eat natural unsalted almonds and walnuts, peanuts, and othe types of nuts for fats. Eat fish for omega 3 and antioxidants. if you are stuck at a certain weight for a few days it could mean that you just retained a bit more water than usual, after you lower sodium intake your weight drops like a rock after that.
  • damoonz63
    damoonz63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not bad, try to eat 5-6 meals. .63 that's great for a general number. Keep at it! You're doing great