Wii fit?

Options
I was curious about everyone's opinions on the Wii Fit. I'm on the heavier side, and running outside really flares up anxiety for me (working on it though!) so I try to do what I can inside of the house for cheap. I know there are plenty of exercise tapes out there but I recently had a friend recommend the Wii Fit because I live in an apartment building and can't really do a lot of jumping around. Has anyone tried it? My boyfriend has one that isn't in use so I won't need to buy one. I guess I'm just wondering if it's worth the time, or if I would be better off checking out exercise clips on youtube.

Replies

• jamiefitandhealthy
    Options
    wii fit IS useful, if you do it right. You cant just do it for a few days....i suggest doing it for atleast 2weeks, youll notice results
  • Ashley083
    Ashley083 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a fan. Wii Fit has so many pauses where you need to select a new activity, etc. Wii Active, in my opinion, is a lot better. It's actual exercise routines, and you decide how long you want to do, etc. If you get the kit, I'd recommend getting a better resistance band than what comes with it.
  • iieee
    iieee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well if you've got it, you might as well try it! Personally, I found the original 'wii fit' game gets boring quickly because it basically consists of lots and lots of 5 minute activities rather than a full length workout. So I bought another fitness game which still uses the wii fit board but has longer workouts up to 45 minutes. Works well for me as I can do it in the evening once the kids are in bed. :)
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    this is what got me started moving again! do it as a workout, don't cheat (yourself) and push when and where you can without injury!! 1.5 months of this combined with starting to 'wear' my daughter (30lbs in a backpack) and i'm finally up to 30DS. my friend is also doing wii fit and seeing some great results by keeping up with it! good luck and rock it out like you know you can!!!
  • phoenix3050
    Options
    I've used it for a week now. I've only lost a pound since I started using it, but I've lost 2" off my waist. Weighing myself on it isn't accurate (I think it's the carpet) but it's got me motivated to move more. It's made it more fun to exercise. :)
  • Richardson62617
    Richardson62617 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LegendDairy
    Options
    wii fit IS useful, if you do it right. You cant just do it for a few days....i suggest doing it for atleast 2weeks, youll notice results

I agree with Jamie. You have to stick with it for a while. I have one and I like to think I'm the hula hoop champion of the world ;)
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I like it. I use it as my primary method of tracking my weight, so that's handy. Some of the exercises are clearly just for fun, but I mostly stick to the ones that really feel like a good cardio workout (hula hoop is intense!). Someone mentioned the pauses and stuff for choosing a new activity - it does have a function where you can program a workout made up of the yoga and strength training exercises and then do them all in a row, which is handy. I mostly use the wii fit on days where I don't want to do an intense hour+ workout and just need to burn a quick 100 calories. Oh, that's another thing - it tracks how many calories you've burned based on your weight and the activity you did, which is handy.
  • junepinktigger
    junepinktigger Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i used the wii daily until i got the bug for going to spinning class, i love working along with the wii, i still pull the curtains over when i am doing it, but you arent doing it to prove to others your doing it for yourself
  • alikat789
    alikat789 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Why not check out youtube for exercises - i'm positive there is a number of videos that you can do that you aren't jumping around. Youtube is free and you can find some exercise dvds that you love before you purchase them and the wiifit will cost about $50.00CDN + .(but if the boyfriend has it then i guess it's no $$ out of pocket)

Why not try walking, walking is good exercise too.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Another quick note, because apparently I have a lot of opinions about Wii Fit...I used the yoga and strength training stuff when I first started getting into shape, but abandoned them as my fitness improved and they became too easy.
  • LaneyRZ
    LaneyRZ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The exercises can be quick, easy and fun. The weighing feature, however, I've found to be highly inaccurate. I used it at first because we didn't have a scale, but quickly found that it would tell me I'd gained 15 pounds in one day. So that part, I don't trust anymore.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Wii fit can be a nice tool. I like challenging myself at the yoga, since I have absolutely no balance/coordination. But I do it for fun, not for exercise. I think for a beginner or somebody not yet ready to run or lift heavy weights, it's great.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I like wii fit, but it is hard to keep your heart rate up as there is so much, talking and crap. Typically when I do wii fit I make my own workout with yoga nad strength moves, which goes from one exercise to the next, much better than all the pausing. I would suggest getting the ea workout for the Wii.
  • ladyepanda
    ladyepanda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit I feel is mostly for someone just starting activity. It is not an advanced workout...but by all means, if you aren't moving and are looking for something fun, give it a go! I will say, I tried to get my brother to do it (and he is very large), and I was sooo embarrassed for him because the Wii Fit board does have a weight limit. I don't know exactly what it is, but my brother is around 280... (This probably won't apply to most people).

For a really good workout, I enjoy the Wii Dance games because I love the music and you can make it as challenging as you want.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a fan. Wii Fit has so many pauses where you need to select a new activity, etc. Wii Active, in my opinion, is a lot better. It's actual exercise routines, and you decide how long you want to do, etc. If you get the kit, I'd recommend getting a better resistance band than what comes with it.

That is exactly what I thought. You spend 30 minutes on Wii Fit but you only spent 15 minutes actually working out. EA Sports Active for the Wii is so much better. It's more efficient and you get a way better workout. The EA Sports Active 2 is even set up so you don't need the remote and the nunchuck so you can use dumbbells instead of the bands if you prefer.
  • whatthedeuce23
    whatthedeuce23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have the wii fit - but I use it as my tracking device. I have a couple other 'workout' wii games that make me sweat more, but I do use it for fun when I've already worked out but feel like doing a little bit more. I love stamping my progress every day :D
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've used the wii fit millions of times, when i was 16 i lost 2st on it, and now i'm doing it again. i'd suggest the wii fit plus, just simply because there are more games to do :) definitely worth the buy!
  • robbieheslop
    robbieheslop Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Zumba for the wii - Best one i've used ! :)
  • rdunlap81
    rdunlap81 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wii fit burns calories and is a lot of fun. If you do the running, hula hooping, dance, and things like that you burn many calories. I enjoy it. I would also recommend Wii Active. It is a lot of fun and does cardio and strength training combined in one workout. Most last 20-45 minutes depending on intensity level.