first time triathlon...

Options
I've signed up to do a Sprint Triathlon in August. First time ever doing such a thing. I've walked in several distance events, 5k, 8k, 10k, etc but thought I'd be crazy and do a Triathlon. My motto is: "To Finish is to Win"! I don't care if I come in dead last, I just want to do it.

I've been training for all the different events and am surprising myself daily with things I never thought I could do.

Anyone out there doing trying anything new this year, in terms of fitness?

Any other triathlon people want to give me advise for a first time event? I am pretty nervous...

Replies

• cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    Triathlons are SUPER fun!

My advice: stick to a training program, and be sure to get "brick" workouts before the event. (Brick= multiple legs in one workout: swim + bike; bike + run, swim + run, swim + bike+ run.)

Get there EARLY and snag a spot on the END of a bike rack. SO much easier. Leave a bright towel on the end where your bike goes to mark your spot. (You'll be leaving stuff there, anyways, but trust me. People will edge over as much as they can which will slow you down.)

Practice some ocean swims*, if only a few.

The swim start is pretty challenging. Be aware of that. I'm a strong swimmer, but I wasn't prepared for the severe turbulence in the beginning, and all the jostling. I saw someone swim over another person's back once, and sometimes people get kicked. Not a big deal, (really!), but if you don't know, it can be overwhelming. My heart rate shot up way higher than was comfortable, but doing the breast stroke with your head above water will allow you to slow your breathing and get it together. It's really not that bad, but people don't mention it, so a lot of people aren't prepared. (Like me.)

Don't get in the front of your wave if you aren't a fast swimmer. Even if you're not in the "right" place, people will pace out pretty quickly, but if you should be in the middle or back... just do that.

If you get a wetsuit, I recommend a triathlon specific one that has 3/4 legs and no sleeves. Much better range of motion.

Practice your transitions.

If you like gels or whatever, have them at your station. I think it's a good idea to have SOMETHING after the swim portion.

Finally: have fun! People are SO encouraging and friendly at triathlons. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

*I'm assuming this is an ocean swim tri.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! I did my first one two years ago. This year I am training for my first olympic distance.

Look for a free training program online, or check around to see if there are any groups in your area. Do lots of bike-run training. If you can do a short run, even just 5-10 minutes, after every bike, it will really help to train the legs.
    Get in some open water swims and practice sighting (swimming towards a landmark); it's a little different than swimming in the pool with those nice black lines on the bottom.
    Experiement with different foods and gels in your training so you can figure out what to eat race morning, during the race if you anticipate it taking longer than 90 minutes to finish, and the night before. You don't want to be doing anything new the day before or of your race.
    Bring a package of tissues or toilet paper. You never know, especially if it is a big event.
    Bring a camera, take lots of pictures/have someone take lots of pictures for you. It's a big accomplishment!
    Enjoy the experience!!!
  • DryHeet
    DryHeet Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That is so great!

I have done maybe 6 sprint triathlons - all of them were in a pool, not in open water. The swim venue will make some difference in how you prepare for the event - but basically, you need to work on all 3 distances, include some brick workouts, and work on the transitions. If the event is in a pool, then you need to find out if it is a serpentine course - if it is, then try to practice going under the lane lines at the end of the pool. I really messed this up in my last event.

Depending on the number of participants in your event, you may feel some confusion when returning from the swim to the bike transition area. Try to focus on the position of your bike when you set up in the transition area.

There's a few internet sites that I used when I first started - I'm not sure if the sites are still as helpful, but try searching for beginner triathlon.

Congrats for signing up - you will have a blast!
  • nirvi9
    nirvi9 Posts: 34
    Options
    Good for you! I also started triathlon training this spring.. I'm planning on doing 3 throughout the summer, and have already gotten hooked enought that I'm eyeing a half-Ironman for next September!!

Lots of good advice in this thread already, if you haven't checked it out yet I'd recommend visiting beginnertriathlete.com, it has a forum, free training plans and a bunch of great articles that will probably cover anything you have questions about
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of doing one as well! I did my first 5K Spartan race early June and I think I can go to the next level.

I am eyeing the SPRINT TRIATHLON in Montreal (September 2012)
    1) 750m swim (1/2 mile)
    2) 20km bike (12.4miles)
    3) 5km run (3.1miles)

I don't own a triathlon bike, I have a normal aluminum frame cruiser bike. Can't I just use my ordinary bike for this race? It is not like I intend to finish first.

I read a lot of "Experiement with different foods and gels in your training so you can figure out what to eat race morning..."

What are gels?
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    http://kippermartin.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/my-first-tri/

just finished my first one and blogged about it! So much fun!