Is it possible to have a diet that doesnt involve cooking

my dad goes randomly mental, so i want to know: is there a way to avoid cooking and to have a diet that doesnt involve cooking?

Replies

• TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Sure. Raw diet.

Also, not sure what you define as cooking, but my sister uses the microwave to cook preseasoned fish. Ordinarily I would have thought it was the most disgusting thing in the world, but I ate some without knowing and it actually tasted pretty delicious. She gets the preseasoned fish at the local bulk store and then just poaches it in the microwave.

I guess if you ate nuts, fruits, veggies, and then occasionally microwaved some meat you would definitely get by pretty well without touching the stove. Oh! And smoothies! Mm!
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Yeah, there's actually a small group of people around the world that stick to a "Raw Foods Diet"... if you go to a bookstore you could probably find a few recipe books for it, and there's a lot of into on google too.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Im curious - why do you not want to cook?
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Humans' metabolism took a huge boost due to the advent of cooking, especially in the brain department
    There's nothing wrong with getting lots of raw food but avoiding cooking altogether is not a good idea unless your goal is to look like a holocaust survivor as portrayed by many of these raw vegan advocates (there's no way to get adequate macro ratios)
  • garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    Im curious - why do you not want to cook?

idk
  • garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    what % wud u suggest to be raw foods in a diet?
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    I don't like to cook - so here is an alternative. I roast. I line the baking sheet with the foil, so no need to clean up, and put anything on it - veggies, chicken, fish. Sprinkle some olive oil and some spices or sauce and in 20 - 30 min the food is ready. Minimum effort and the food tastes great and is healthy.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Is it just that he doesn't want to spend the time cooking? I hate cooking too and I used to (sometimes still do) eat a lot of processed food. While it's certainly not the healthiest thing to eat and making food "from scratch" is better for you in most cases, there are certainly "diets" that provide food that only has to be heated up. Nutrisystem is just one of them that I can think of. The food tends to be subpar and hard to swallow if you ask me, but it doesn't have to be cooked. :tongue:
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    Bump....Just b/c I don't cook much myself - unless it's southern home cooking - which is fattening & would love some ideas that don't involve cooking...
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    I'm terrible at cooking, my parents don't buy any raw foods, just pre-cooked I eat a lot of pre-cooked chicken and I eat a lot raw veggies. It's not always easy. Occasionally I'll cook, but most of the time when I do cook, it turns out gross or burnt, so I avoid it.
    So to answer your question, yes it is possible.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't cook LOL
    But raw foods ... yes!
    Fruits, veggies!! YUM!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Yes, it's called pizza delivery.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 479 Member
    I use my slow cooker (some people call it a crockpot) a lot. Doesnt get much easier than a slow cooker. Throw everything into one pot in the morning and by dinner time you have delicious food. You can cook just about anything in there too. They have liner bags you can buy to put in them so you dont even have to wash it! I love to throw veggies and a protein into mine. Roast and potaotes, chicken with mushrooms and onions, pork loin with bell peppers...Ive never done it but you can even make things like ribs or mac n cheese. I make beef stew and chili in my crock pot too. The possibilities are endless.
  • pallypunch
    pallypunch Posts: 28
    I am going to try out one of those diet meal delivery plans. I don't like to cook and usually don't have the time to (I tend to get home at around 9 or 10, 3 days a week or so because of after-work commitments). . . this leads to me eating out, or making really unhealthy but tasty foods at home.

My friend recommended Diet-to-Go and in my area they have a local pick-up so most of the food should be fresh. She said that the food was pretty good and you can stop or start at anytime. I am a picky-eater and was able to substitute (online) an unlimited number of meals for ones that were more appealing to me. I start on Tuesday evening and will let you know how it goes.

Here is a link to their site, specifically to their page that compares them against their competitors: http://diettogo.com/price-comparison
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Yes, it's called pizza delivery.

I like the way you think, sir/madam. Yes I do.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i was on that diet..

it was called takeout. i gained 50 pounds that way
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    I've seen a several people's diaries that are fast food (making good choices considering) 3x a day and they are managing to lose every week. Not saying this is the way to go, just something I have observed.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Well...they say you can wrap a chicken and walk around for hours with in your armpits.

They say it cooks up swell.

Could always do that.....
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    The wife of a coworker of mine is a raw vegan chef, and I bought her first cookbook to see what it was all about. Turns out a LOT of the recipes make use of a food dehydrator, and take serious advance prep. I don't doubt for a second that they're tasty, but they really seem like way more work than just cooking, if there's no real REASON you need to be on a raw diet.