What should I do? My doctor says I can't walk for exercise a

Options
I love to walk, I take my little dog out for walks and walk all over. She loves it too, but, sadly my doc says, no more until I get treatment for my heel spurs and plantar fasciitis, in both feet. It has caused me to have joint pain also. :sad:
I suppose it is good advise, but, I miss my walks, so does my pooch. I fear I may gain the weight that I have lost. :brokenheart:
I should be able to go to the pool at least twice a week soon, but, what else can I do. I am hoping someone here may have some ideas.Doc says anything that does not involve putting weight on my feet but that burns calories. :smile:
Thanks,
Becky

Replies

• jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is pedaling a bike too hard on the bone spurs? My little dog is pretty good next to a bike and he loves it.
  • sunflowerman
    Options
    This device called The Chi Machine was featured on America's The Doctor's show. It's a passive exerciser and 15 minutes on it is equivalent to 10,000 steps of brisk walking (that's 6.2 miles of walking!). It may be able to help you. Check it out here: http://www.sun-ancon-chi-machine.com/chi-machine/
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool, I think swimming is a great but only if you can get to a pool. It can be costly.
  • rmpacelady
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have found a gym which has a pool and exercise bikes, I have lost more weight and inches. Thanks for all the suggestions as they helped me to: 1. do the right type of exercise and 2. ask the right questions of my doctor. So far everything is ok, I will need surgery at some point since we have tried all the other treatment available. That is ok though because I know the good Lord will see me through this too. I will not be laid up too long so I can get back in the swim of things. :smile:
  • beccahummel423
    beccahummel423 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from reconstructive ankle surgery & can't walk either. My physical therapist has recommended the stationary bike (not the recumbent) with no resistance. I'll gladly take that - I haven't been able to exercise in almost a year!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    There is actually something that you can do with your upper body for cardio, I forget the exact name but it is like bike pedals for upper body. Does not help your dog though... Does your dog fetch... maybe you can throw a ball or something for him to get his exercise too!
    :smile: