Yoga for Weight Loss

Options
Is there anyone that's practicing yoga as a part of their fitness plan? I could use some buddies who do yoga for inspiration and support!

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I do ashtanga yoga at least once a week. I try to do it twice but I can't always work in the Sunday class. It works really well as a counter balance to the running I am doing. Running thrashes me and so the strength, stretching and balancing is very good.
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to do yoga 3 days a week this upcoming week. Feel free to add me(:
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Since April only... I do Yoga 2 times a week and I honestly, HATE it .. but really appreciate the benefits so I do it! It especially helps keep down the soreness from lifting heavy weights! Feel free to add me.
  • plumpncurvy
    plumpncurvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do water yoga twice a week, it's a great way to relax and stretch, which is just as important as strength and cardio in my opinion. I love it!
  • glowingbride
    Options
    I practice yoga pretty much daily. I'll add you :)
  • KristenCassandra
    KristenCassandra Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm starting moksha tomorrow, I'll add you :)
    Have any of you done it? Any likes, dislikes?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I do yoga almost daily. There's a group here you can join too:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group

Mamawannarun - you might try a different type of yoga, see if you like it any better.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've just completed my 5th class of Hot Yoga! If you haven't heard of this, it's where you do the 25 poses in a 90 degree room for 90 mintues, talk about a real burn! You can add me too :flowerforyou:
  • Zvyezda
    Zvyezda Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love yoga soooo much! I am very fortunate in that my work place give free lunch time sessions but I can only make 2 of these a week. I also practice it at home with a fantastic app I downloaded (All-in-yoga). I'm not sure of the benefits of doing yoga alone but I find it REALLY compliments my more physical exercise- I am really amazed at what my body can do since I've been doing yoga and pilates :-)
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I personally use yoga not for weight loss purpose, but to become more flexible and stronger. I actually did 40 minutes last night and even though I thought I wasn't doing anything special, today EVERY SINGLE MUSCLE in my body aches. But it's a good pain, so I don't mind.

I also find practicing yoga after a dynamic workout relaxing and calming. I love the feeling I get after running or aerobics, but combined with yoga afterwards it just feels great - I feel much stronger and motivated!

I will try and do it at least twice a week - I'm getting back to it after 2 month break!
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do it for the benefit it gives my moods.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I love yoga and do it almost daily! It really helps keep me motivated and focused on health.
  • EA1979
    EA1979 Posts: 25
    Options
    I add Barbara Curries '10 minute miracle' to the end of my home aerobics. I find I get toned more quickly if yoga - even a tiny bit - is part of my routine.
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I am a sucker for Ravi/Ana kundalini yoga DVDs...do a mixture of them at least twice a week! :bigsmile:

Love them!!!
  • QUEENPINKSPARKLE1965
    QUEENPINKSPARKLE1965 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    :love: I Love Yoga keeps me from stressing out<3
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I Love Yoga,
    It's the only thing I actually like that I can get a sweat, get stretched really well, get relaxed, and feel really centered emotionally and mentally. Also, when I practice more regualrly (at least 3 times a week) I feel more naturally compeled to eat cleaner. My body doesn't like being bent and twisted when I've got a gut full of garbage. Feel free to add me, I recently joined a studio close to my home and go as often as my work schedule allows.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&amp;feature=share

watch this video. its amazing, and this guy only did yoga.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love yoga. I never really did it to loose weight, more to increase my flexibility. I actually haven't done it in a good few months - the classes always seem to be at an awkward time for me. But that's no excuse. I need to get back to it. Looking back though - although I didn't do it to loose weight; the time when I was doing it frequently I was the slimmest and lightest I've been in years. May well be just coinsidence, but interesting. x
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for more than 18 years, but I haven't maintained a regular practice for all that time. I've just started with a new teacher that I really like, because she pushes me HARD... bought myself a 20-class pass, and intend to go at least once a week.

After my last class, I came home and told my husband that I'd gotten a really good stretch through my torso, and he told me that I looked skinnier than I had two hours earlier!
  • joannecando
    Options
    I do it because they don't let my kids in the room. :bigsmile: Sometimes even SuperMom needs a break.