Who/what inspires you to move?

Options
So, I have this friend. His name is Jim. He's 70 years old. Today he showed me his article in Masters Magazine (a running paper for those over 40). It's an awesome article about his running career, his wins, losses, when he started, etc.

I've seen this man running in the neighborhood for many years. Everyone just calls him the running guy. We started talking when I started running - we had something in common and he is so helpful.

My husband and I own a small video store and computer repair business in town. I have a wall dedicated to this man's newspaper and magazine articles (he brings them to me, I tape them up). His Master's article will be posted once I get a copy of it.

This man...this 70 year old beautiful man...is the one that inspires me the most. He keeps me motivated to run.

I was just wondering...who/what keeps you inspired to work out, run, play ball, or whatever you do?

Replies

• LaundryJo
    LaundryJo Posts: 47
    Options
    Wow, that's a great story, I feel inspired by him and I've never met him! Send him my love from the Caribbean! Jo x
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    What an incredible story!

I have one, but more of just a passerby type chance meeting...A friend & I were out running and decided to run the stairs instead of loop around on the hill. There was an older gentleman moving up them as well and I cheered him on. ( I thought maybe he was in his late 50s to mid 60s) He commented back that he's been doing this a long time, and that he was in his 70s!!! I was so impressed...told him that I hope to do the same at his age!
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    That is incredible, I hope that when I'm his age I'll be able to move like he does. What inspires me to move is my baby brother. He is 14 and 50-60 pounds more than me and it scares me. And as much as I hate to say it, I don't want it to happen to me. So I'm trying to get him moving and eating better that way he won't have as many health risks because of his weight.
  • MissMama5
    MissMama5 Posts: 23
    Options
    my own low self esteem. i was so tired of feeling like crap and not fitting into anything when i went shopping, feeling bloated, sucking it in....every day i feel a little more amazing and when i look in the mirror i love who i see. :) that's a motivating feeling.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Wow, that's a great story, I feel inspired by him and I've never met him! Send him my love from the Caribbean! Jo x

Thank you! I will :-)
  • MtnKat
    Options
    That is incredible, I hope that when I'm his age I'll be able to move like he does. What inspires me to move is my baby brother. He is 14 and 50-60 pounds more than me and it scares me. And as much as I hate to say it, I don't want it to happen to me. So I'm trying to get him moving and eating better that way he won't have as many health risks because of his weight.

Hopefully your eating habits and healthy lifestyle will get him in gear. He's lucky to have a sister who cares the way you do.
  • MtnKat
    Options
    What an incredible story!

I have one, but more of just a passerby type chance meeting...A friend & I were out running and decided to run the stairs instead of loop around on the hill. There was an older gentleman moving up them as well and I cheered him on. ( I thought maybe he was in his late 50s to mid 60s) He commented back that he's been doing this a long time, and that he was in his 70s!!! I was so impressed...told him that I hope to do the same at his age!

That's wonderful! My friend Jim doesn't look very old either...he's kept his youthful look through running and healthy eating.
  • MtnKat
    Options
    my own low self esteem. i was so tired of feeling like crap and not fitting into anything when i went shopping, feeling bloated, sucking it in....every day i feel a little more amazing and when i look in the mirror i love who i see. :) that's a motivating feeling.

I know what you mean. My bedroom is full of mirrors. I hate them. But only because I hate the way I look right now. It keeps me going too.

Good luck to you!