Dairy-free birthday ideas??

Options
amykluver
amykluver Posts: 184 Member
Celebrating my birthday this weekend and I would usually have cake & vanilla ice cream. But I have gone dairy-free. My back up plan is raspberry sorbet with a warm homemade brownie or clean cookie - but I'd LOVE some other ideas. Anyone made homemade "rice cream" (ice cream from rice milk) or something similar they'd like to share about?

Replies

• Debi_
    Debi_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you're from, so it may be different where you live, but in the UK we have stork and some of their products are dairy free as they are made from vegetable fat- just make sure you check the packet because I think some have dairy ingredients. You can use this as a butter/margerine substitute in pretty much any cake/brownie type recipes I've found so far as I've baked.

I've not made ice cream before but I'm sure there are recipes if you search online, I saw someone do it on a tv programme I'm sure. But I know the Swedish Glace ones aren't bad, and you could always add stuff to it like fruit, meringue or a syrup/sauce.

I've saved some recipes that I want to make when I get the occasion like the chocolate and almond tart on the ch4 website (not sure if it's ok to post links but- http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/baking/cakes/chocolate-and-almond-tart-recipe). There was also http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/516352-double-chocolate-chip-muffins-dairy-free?hl=dairy+free#posts-7201601 from the other day on here.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Celebrating my birthday this weekend and I would usually have cake & vanilla ice cream. But I have gone dairy-free. My back up plan is raspberry sorbet with a warm homemade brownie or clean cookie - but I'd LOVE some other ideas. Anyone made homemade "rice cream" (ice cream from rice milk) or something similar they'd like to share about?

Cake is really easy to make dairy free, so is icing. And there are rice, soy and coconut ice creams around if you want ice cream still.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    There are dairy free cake recipes online...all kinds of yummy flavors too.

I actually found a dairy and egg free one that I made for a friend's son's 3rd birthday because he's allergic to both...poor kiddo. He loved them though...
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/coconut-chocolate-chip-ice-cream/
    This is delish! Also look up Avocado ice cream.. mmm!! Happy Birthday:bigsmile:
  • mollyonamission
    mollyonamission Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My daughter is allergic to dairy and I'm dairy free so for her bday I made yellow cake and frosting and rice crispy treats
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    this is for cupcakes, but you could just as easily make a full cake with it :)
    chocolatecupcakes.jpg
  • Mom2HannahEvan
    Mom2HannahEvan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A lot of the Duncan Hines cake mixes and frostings are dairy free, and SODelicious coconut ice cream or Almond Dream Bites are great in place of cow's milk ice cream. In my experience a lot of bakeries can also make a cake dairy free for you.

My son is allergic to milk protein and I had to go dairy free while he was nursing, so I've got a lot of tricks :)
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Happy birthday!!! Mine is Saturday, so I'll be checking out the comments for ideas to try myself. I hope you have a great birthday! :o))) :flowerforyou:
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    for ice cream, I have read on here that frozen banana thrown into a blender is wonderful and some people add in lil extras
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    so delicious makes coconut milk ice cream in vanilla, chocolate, and mint chip. You can taste to coconut but personally I like it that way. It's dairy free, you can buy dairy free cake mixes, or just use almond/coconut etc milk and olive oil spread instead of butter and milk. Look for gluten free cake mixes, they are delicious and dairy free. Gluten intolerant people are usually also lactose intolerant.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hey for the cake there are a ton of recipes that are dairy free (courtesy of http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Andy/CookingWithMe/wacky.html )

Stuff You Need:

1 1/2 cups flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons cocoa
    1/3 cup cooking oil
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup cold water

Mix dry ingredients in 9 x 9-inch pan. Make 3 holes; pour oil, vinegar and vanilla in separate holes. Pour water over all. Mix well with fork or hand mixer. Do not beat. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Leave in pan and frost (with chocolate fudge icing) while still warm.

For icecream, check your local store and see if they have any ice cream substitutes. Or you can make your own with frozen banana pieces and a little bit of almond or soy milk to get things going. Chocolatecoveredkatie had this recipe that is dairy free also http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/06/15/voluminous-vanilla-ice-cream/

Or you can just be unique and have popcicles.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I made my mom an awesome dairy free cake (she's allergic). Chocolate chiffon (naturally dairy free) and then a buttercream icing made with butter flavored crisco. I put fresh raspberries in between the layers, on top of buttercream. It was AMAZING.

She also lOves the coconut milk ice cream.