I must be turning Bionic

Options
This week I've decided to really throw myself into exercise. Normally I get really sore afterwards, which is a nice fullfilling feeling but this week.. nothing. And I've been doing more than usual!

This week I upped my resistance and inclines on machines I use by at least 2 levels, upped my weights by 5 pounds (if I go heavier I can't keep my form), have walked farther and faster and done more reps.. yet I have no soreness at all. I feel like I'm not pushing hard enough. I've done weights and cardio daily too which normally I'll do one or the other.

Is this normal?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes. when you go from doing nothing to doing something, you will be sore. incremental increases afterwards will not produce the same soreness.

You do not need DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) to prove that you worked.

When I started squatting with a 45 lb. bar in April, I was sore for a day or 2. I'm up to 135# now, but never have been sore again.

Also, cardio after lifting (later or next day) helps reduce DOMS, as does keeping properly hydrated.

Congratulations on your progress.
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    Okay thanks. I felt I was doing something wrong! But I always do my weights then follow it up with my cardio machine work. Now I'm feeling more happy that my body is getting used to using muscles. WAHOO
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    My muscle soreness never stops happening. It happened in high school when I was a gymnast. Every Friday would be a killer conditioning workout that always made me sore. As we speak I'm sore and I've been pretty damn regularly working out for a year now. I think some people just genetically suck at clearing out lactic acid or something...

But anyways, congrats on pushing yourself harder, that's amazing in itself!
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Stretching when you're sore helps remove the lactic acid from your muscles!! The more you move them and use them, the more the lactic acid is worked out after a workout.

(It's pretty much the only thing I ever took away from High School Biology. lol)
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Also, cardio after lifting (later or next day) helps reduce DOMS, as does keeping properly hydrated.

I'm glad I read this! Explains why I've felt very little soreness with my workouts since I alternate cardio and a strength circuit every day. Now that I'm temporarily out of commission, I feel that all that soreness is catching up to me.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    if it's burning while ur doing, it's working. Just cuz u dont get sore after do NOT mean it's not working. Keep it up :) I barely get sore nowadays.
  • GelinaKnows
    Options
    I too, have found my exercises such as crunches & push ups & whatnot, to be MUCH easier,
    & I've literally been able to DOUBLE my sets & reps!! With strength training tho, I'm sure your getting a work out. :)