Workout Acne

Options
Jxnsmma
Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
I normally dont suffer from much acne minus the odd pimple here and there, but every time I get on a real work out kick I break out. My jawline, chest and shoulders. I make sure to shower right after my workout and I am eating well. Anyone else have this issue and what did you find worked to combat your wacne?

Replies

• TaxGirlxo
    TaxGirlxo Posts: 27
    Options
    I get the same thing, I bought a giant jug of Proactiv bodywash on Amazon. It's really good!
  • christyprunner
    christyprunner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ha! I was just talking to my husband about this! i get it on my chest and back. I need help too!
  • SamTheIntlDvlpr
    Options
    Yeah i get the same thing too mostly on my face- well i started off with it, so now as soon as im done a work out I wash my face with some cool water and put on some moisturizer. If I shower, I take a warm one and then cleanse with my exfoliating face wash, pat dry and moisturize. Its worked pretty well so far!
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I find my breakouts are often tied to dry, irritated skin. I either shower at night after a workout or in the morning before work, but not both or my skin gets too dried out. If you really want 2 showers a day then try not using soap for one of them and turning down the water temperature - a cool shower actually feels really fantastic after a workout.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... That is weird to me because I have the opposite happen to me. My acne clears up when I work out, except around Aunt Flow's monthly visit. I have ALWAYS had a HUGE problem with acne. I had to take Acutane when I was younger. I am not sure what to tell you besides just washing your face as soon as you're done.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well. I have always had acne. So I always make sure to wash my face twice a day with neutragena face wash, use an astringent, and I use neutragena on the spot acne medication. Every morning and every night. And also after I work out.

But lately I've stopped wearing makeup on my face (as in, foundation or powder) and I've literally just stopped breaking out. It's crazy. No more makeup for me lol.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... That is weird to me because I have the opposite happen to me. My acne clears up when I work out, except around Aunt Flow's monthly visit. I have ALWAYS had a HUGE problem with acne. I had to take Acutane when I was younger. I am not sure what to tell you besides just washing your face as soon as you're done.
  • mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Working out with my trainer earlier in the week he kept saying "don't touch your face" when I would try to wipe the sweat away. The cleaner in the spray bottles they have is strong stuff but doesn't quite clean everything so the bacteria that does stick around on the machines is pretty gross stuff. Wash your workout clothes after each workout and shower as soon as possible afterwards. I'm a little grossed out, but not enough to stop me going.
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If showering after each workout isn't an option, try using an astringent. I just made a homemade one using witchhazel and the herb thyme (recipe on crunchybetty.com) for my son who has severe acne- a few days in, and it's clearing up a bit when nothing else has worked. (thyme apparently has amazing zit fighting antibacterial properties). Also, wash your workout clothes after every 1 or 2 workouts. :)
  • knackarsch
    knackarsch Posts: 53
    Options
    Working out with my trainer earlier in the week he kept saying "don't touch your face" when I would try to wipe the sweat away. The cleaner in the spray bottles they have is strong stuff but doesn't quite clean everything so the bacteria that does stick around on the machines is pretty gross stuff. Wash your workout clothes after each workout and shower as soon as possible afterwards. I'm a little grossed out, but not enough to stop me going.

Grossss! Thanks for the reminder to stop touching my face!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I normally dont suffer from much acne minus the odd pimple here and there, but every time I get on a real work out kick I break out. My jawline, chest and shoulders. I make sure to shower right after my workout and I am eating well. Anyone else have this issue and what did you find worked to combat your wacne?

Ok lady you need to lay off the roids haha j/k:laugh: j/k
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Trainer told me to shower b4 workout. If you had one night b4, your body while sleeping has built up oil n bacteria again n while u working out, pores enlarge and mix sweat n oil n bacteria together.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options

I guarantee you get worse exposure to bacteria in most public settings. Work in an office and type on a keyboard? When was the last time that got disinfected? Not trying to scare you, just pointing out that you're not running into anything germ wise in the gym that you don't run into all the time.

For some people the regular sweating flushes your pores out and helps clear up acne. For others the sweating causes skin irritation, dry skin and breakouts.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've found success with milder, natural products and using an exfoliator a couple times a week. The biggest problem I get is my back and I imagine it's due to my sports bra holding the sweat and oils in place (yuck, right?) so I try to take it off as soon as I get home and shower or at least rinse off as soon as I can. I use all natural organic soap and a back brush and it works fine.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem when I first started running, after a while my body either got used to it or I dried up when I turned 35 because I don't have acne anymore :smile: I do still get the occasional heat rash on my chest or back.
  • alhumphreys
    alhumphreys Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing right now. I keep cleansing, toning, moisturizing, and I shower as soon as I am done my workout. I have always had a very clear complexion, and now it is connect the dots. It is disgusting. I am getting really sick of it.