Going on a camping trip this weekend/ any suggestions?

Options
Leaving saturday afternoon..

Of course people are bringing hamburgers, hotdogs, smores etc.

The only things I can think of are bringing a garden burger or veggies, but am limited as far as groceries go as I don't have a car and have to get my other stuff to the meeting point via bus as it is, and I'm not sure about cooler space.

All I can think of right how is just eating the beef patty and maybe 1 smore, but don't feel like I;d be happy with that

I plan on bringing healthy hiking snacks of course ( plenty of water, luna bar) Any other suggestions for non perishable snacks?

Not sure what breakfast plans are , but I think people are bringing pbj stuff for lunch

any suggestions on how to handle this?

how am I supposed to measure portion size for things like when other people are bringing it and I can't pre- portion it myself

How do I keep track of hiking calories burned besides estimating time and entering it into MFP when i get back? I don't have a fitbit or HRM or anyhting.

Thanks!

Replies

• watercolormama
    watercolormama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Don't they make tuna in a small sealed pouch? I don't know what you would mix that with, but at least it is healthy. Some toasted nuts would be a nice alternative to some of the yucky snacks and give you some good fuel. I also love Kashi Go Lean cereal which I eat daily for breakfast, but I sometimes take a bag when I travel to munch on. It is high in protein, low in fat and high in fiber....and goes 'crunch', which is nice at times. A bag of pistachios went with me to a recent trip out of town and I ate some every day....something to do and pretty good for me. A small container of either almond or peanut butter could be nice with a whole grain english muffin (half) and wouldn't need refrigeration. You might be able to take those small packages of vacuum packed smoked salmon.....we smoke our own and I think it is fine out of the fridge because it is smoked.....at least for a number of days. Good luck!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    When you say camping, are you talking about pitching a tent in a campground, camping backcountry, or something else? How you prepare would be different depending on whether you have a pack or not. Food items that are non-perishable - trail mix, jerky, cereal bars, canned tuna, etc. if you have facilities to cook and access to a cooler, you'll have a lot more options.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It'll be at a campground. I'm under the impression at the moment that we will have a grill and fire pit.. but not a camp stove/griddle.
  • kiddoc88
    Options
    Not sure about cooler space/access.. asked about it.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    we love to take tuna pouches... they are lightweight and easy to carry and the garbage isn't heavy... :)

it does indeed depend on what kind of camping you are doing as to what you can/should carry... we do 2-4 day hiking trips... along the apalacian trail... we take a lot of tuna... cheese...

for "counting" the exercise... I usually just count the miles of it... like if I know I did 20 miles over two days I just count it as 20 miles hiking... I don't worry about I hiked exactly 9hrs and 27 min in those two days :)

I go out and have fun...
  • kiddoc88
    Options
    Not really fond of tuna : ( I do enjoy salmon shrimp and prawns though. I like the idea of wheat muffin and pb
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    As long as you remain active I say enjoy the foods they bring. Of course moderation is key and since you seem to have your DIET plan worked out you know you prob wont over eat ne ways. So whats to really worry bout?
    And smores dont have as many calories as you may think they do..
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you are BBQing then have salmon - zucchini also is great BBQd. If you're not into fish then marinade some chicken & take that. Eggs for breakfast are always good, or porridge...
  • cwilli36
    cwilli36 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can ask one of your friends that's bringing the coolers to grab you a chicken breast and some turkey hotdogs or something like that. We also packed salad a few weeks ago when we went camping. Is someone bringing eggs for breakfast? Make some sort of breakfast scramble with eggs lunchmeat and veggies... Make sure you get plenty of protein so you aren't hungry and tempted to snack.
    Also you can buy canned or packaged chicken instead of tuna.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Make hobos!!

Really easy to make. You can prep them before you go or prep them on site, either way they're super easy (and DELICIOUS):

Ingredients:

Lean ground beef or Lean ground turkey
    Potatoes (you can try sweet if you like, go for it)
    Celery
    Carrots
    Onions (red are yummy)
    A couple of cloves of garlic
    Fresh thyme (or ground, doesn't really matter)
    A smidge (tablespoon) of butter or less; sub EVOO if you really wanna get healthy
    Salt and pepper to taste

How to make it:

Clean/chop up all the veggies, herbs, and break up the meat (defrosted). Using aluminum foil (I suggest heavy duty), create a "pouch" in which you can fit all of those ingredients. You're going to want to make this pouch somewhat thick, as putting it over the fire will test the aluminum's burning point.. Throw everything into the bag to include seasonings of your choice (don't worry about mixing it up), add about 1/3 cup of water, seal, and place over your campfire for about 35-45 minutes or until the meat is cooked and the potatoes and other veggies are tender. SOOOOO yummy, cheap, and really easy to make. Courtesy of my awesome mother-in-law :) Make sure you bring mits and tongs with you to handle the hobos over the fire, as they will get very hot very quickly. Enjoy!

Edited to add: As long as you eat all you cook, the only waste left over is the aluminum foil, which can be recycled. Cheap, yummy, AND environmentally friendly! Hence why it's one of my favorite camping foods.
  • kiddoc88
    Options
    Make hobos!!

Really easy to make. You can prep them before you go or prep them on site, either way they're super easy (and DELICIOUS):

Ingredients:

Celery
    Carrots
    Onions (red are yummy)
    A smidge (tablespoon) of butter or less; sub EVOO if you really wanna get healthy
    Salt and pepper to taste

How to make it:

Clean/chop up all the veggies, herbs, and break up the meat (defrosted). Using aluminum foil (I suggest heavy duty), create a "pouch" in which you can fit all of those ingredients. You're going to want to make this pouch somewhat thick, as putting it over the fire will test the aluminum's burning point.. Throw everything into the bag to include seasonings of your choice (don't worry about mixing it up), add about 1/3 cup of water, seal, and place over your campfire for about 35-45 minutes or until the meat is cooked and the potatoes and other veggies are tender. SOOOOO yummy, cheap, and really easy to make. Courtesy of my awesome mother-in-law :) Make sure you bring mits and tongs with you to handle the hobos over the fire, as they will get very hot very quickly. Enjoy!

Edited to add: As long as you eat all you cook, the only waste left over is the aluminum foil, which can be recycled. Cheap, yummy, AND environmentally friendly! Hence why it's one of my favorite camping foods.
  • trybabytry
    trybabytry Posts: 181
    Options
    Whoa, bumping for the "hobos"!
  • debussyschild
    Options
    P.s. I'm extremely jealous of where you're going camping/hiking. I visited WA once and got to hike Mt. Rainier... Needless to say, the views there definitely rivaled the views I love from my Appalachian mountains in VA. Different, but equally breathtaking. Enjoy!!!!!!!!
  • kiddoc88
    Options
    Make hobos!!

Ingredients:

Celery
    Carrots
    Onions (red are yummy)
    Salt and pepper to taste

How to make it:

This sounds really yummy! this type of things is what my family usually does (that and baggie omlettes)
  • number1ladyballa
    number1ladyballa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey girl. I would keep a food diary in your tent to keep track of your foods so when you get back you can add them in. Also protein bars are good. I have noticed that hiking with a 10lb plus backpack burns a lot of calories so if you can't stay away from the unhealthy foods try lots of hiking.:smile:
  • debussyschild
    Options
    Hobos are the bomb, not gonna lie. Feel free to mix it up and change the ingredients to add things you like. Have fun!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Leaving saturday afternoon..

Of course people are bringing hamburgers, hotdogs, smores etc.

The only things I can think of are bringing a garden burger or veggies, but am limited as far as groceries go as I don't have a car and have to get my other stuff to the meeting point via bus as it is, and I'm not sure about cooler space.

All I can think of right how is just eating the beef patty and maybe 1 smore, but don't feel like I;d be happy with that

I plan on bringing healthy hiking snacks of course ( plenty of water, luna bar) Any other suggestions for non perishable snacks?

Not sure what breakfast plans are , but I think people are bringing pbj stuff for lunch

any suggestions on how to handle this?

how am I supposed to measure portion size for things like when other people are bringing it and I can't pre- portion it myself

How do I keep track of hiking calories burned besides estimating time and entering it into MFP when i get back? I don't have a fitbit or HRM or anyhting.

Thanks!

Clif bars for snacks.
    Nature Mills or something close oatmeal for breakfast.

Enjoy a burger or such in evening, leave out the snacks.

Do the exercise when you get back.
    If you want an estimate ahead of time for the walking, or have an idea of pace and time, perhaps per hr know what it would be.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html